The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: joemamas on April 15, 2020, 11:51:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 15, 2020, 06:40:54 PM
Quote from: five points on April 15, 2020, 06:25:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 15, 2020, 06:19:16 PM
None of that changes that Trump is at the head of a personality cult.

That he may well be. But judging from the volume and tone of your posts here, you're obsessed with him. What does that make you?

Not obsession. Concern. I live in the US. My kids are growing up here. He is changing this country for the worse and embodies and contributes to the ugliest aspects of American life. Everyone should be concerned.

I live here also, My kids are growing up here also, I don't agree with you, hope that is ok.

Argue for Trump and his vision of America if you want to. This thread is for such discussion. That aside, I don't know you and thus don't really give a bollocks what you think.

omochain

I live here too and so do my grandchildren.  I disagree with you.. but you are a very civil "cratur" so you are entitled to your view.

omochain

That was a response to JoeMamas

five points

That he may well be. But judging from the volume and tone of your posts here, you're obsessed with him. What does that make you?

Not obsession. Concern. I live in the US. My kids are growing up here. He is changing this country for the worse and embodies and contributes to the ugliest aspects of American life. Everyone should be concerned.

Obsessive concern is still obsession. We all live under leaders whom we personally dislike. And there's no harm in registering concern about them. But the law of diminishing returns kicks in once we go on and on about everything, even trivialities.

J70

Quote from: five points on April 16, 2020, 11:58:28 AM

Obsessive concern is still obsession. We all live under leaders whom we personally dislike. And there's no harm in registering concern about them. But the law of diminishing returns kicks in once we go on and on about everything, even trivialities.

I'll grant you that, 3+ years in and in the grand scheme, Trump sticking his name on IRS cheques for personal ego and campaigning reasons is relatively trivial and predictable and indicative of something that is already well established. This thread goes dormant for months at a time such is the now routineness of Trump's personal conduct. But, its up and running at the moment and this cheque thing is another illustration of the complete surrender of his administration and his party to his personal neediness and demands for personal loyalty, and thus worth mentioning, IMO. Its not like there is a lot of GAA or soccer to talk about at the moment, which would be my other main interests on this board outside of US politics.

dec

Would that include whining about what other posters are saying?

five points

Quote from: dec on April 16, 2020, 01:47:46 PM

Would that include whining about what other posters are saying?

Yes.

whitey

It's what is referred to as "faux outrage"......outraged about everything all the time and slighted and offended by the most trivial things. After a while people just start tuning out.  If they stuck to the real issues there's plenty to hang him on, but I'm afraid they have no discipline

It's like after one of his SOTU addresses they had 5 responses attacking him from 5 different angles instead of just one knock out blow

dec

Quote from: whitey on April 16, 2020, 02:26:45 PM

It's what is referred to as "faux outrage"......outraged about everything all the time and slighted and offended by the most trivial things.

A perfect description of Fox News and talk radio.

whitey

Quote from: dec on April 16, 2020, 03:00:21 PM

It's what is referred to as "faux outrage"......outraged about everything all the time and slighted and offended by the most trivial things.

A perfect description of Fox News and talk radio.

Absolutely....they perfected the art, and now CNN, MSNBC the WaPo and NY Times are right up there with them in terms of bias and partisanship

J70

It's what is referred to as "faux outrage"......outraged about everything all the time and slighted and offended by the most trivial things. After a while people just start tuning out.  If they stuck to the real issues there's plenty to hang him on, but I'm afraid they have no discipline

It's like after one of his SOTU addresses they had 5 responses attacking him from 5 different angles instead of just one knock out blow

About the most trivial thing we've seen here this week was your NY Times Biden sexual assault story "scandal".

And as I've already said, with the cheque issue, I wasn't expressing outrage; I was pointing and mocking. I'll save the outrage for stuff like the immigrant mothers and babies or his assault on the environment and the poor.

whitey

No the shocking thing is that within minutes of an article going up a Democratic campaign can call The NY Times and pressure them into deleting a less than favorable paragraphs that was written about their candidate-The NY Times did their bidding, then failed to add an editors note (which is normal procedure) explaining the edit

In 2016 Hillary's campaign actually got them to turn an Pro Bernie article into an anti Bernie article

https://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/17/new-york-times-bernie-sanders-coverage-public-editor/

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 16, 2020, 03:21:19 PM
No the shocking thing is that within minutes of an article going up a Democratic campaign can call The NY Times and pressure them into deleting a less than favorable paragraphs that was written about their candidate-The NY Times did their bidding, then failed to add an editors note (which is normal procedure) explaining the edit

In 2016 Hillary's campaign actually got them to turn an Pro Bernie article into an anti Bernie article

https://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/17/new-york-times-bernie-sanders-coverage-public-editor/

So we've gone from half a sentence, which did absolutely nothing to change the story, to a paragraph now?

And yeah, you've wheeled out that Bernie one, what, 50 times on this thread at this point?

Surely such a corrupt and biased organization has a wealth of such skullduggery for you to draw upon. Might be time to update your bookmarked stories.

screenexile

Small business loan program is out of money . . .

I think the Dems have fucked this one up. You can't be holding shit up when people are going broke yes the things they are asking for are probably needed but this wasn't the hill to die on!!

whitey

You are in deep denial. NY Times is no better than Fox News.

They haven't a shred of credibility