The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Crossmaglen Rangers v Harps

Harps travelled to Crossmaglen on Sunday last searching for two badly needed league points after a recent poor run of results. The match, which had a twelve noon throw in, was played in difficult weather conditions, with a gale blowing rain down the pitch.

It followed that the match – played on an excellent surface – was the proverbial game of two halves, and it was Cross who got first use of the breeze. They played the conditions perfectly and dominated the half picking off a range of points from all angles. These scores included a number of lovely long range efforts from the left boot of John McEntee. Cross seemed content to pick their points, although they did notch the only goal of the game early on when their corner forward turned the defence and finished expertly to the net. Harps attacks were few and far between although we did open our account with a point from an Ultan Lennon free just before the break.

Half time, Crossmaglen Rangers 1-11, Harps 0-01.

Harps now had a mountain to climb and to be fair the players responded with a lot of effort. Harps managed the first three points of this period through Ultan Lennon (one from a free and one from play) and a magnificent long range effort from captain Collie Holmes. However on too many occasions Harps tried to work the ball in close and turned over possession, whilst in contrast to their opponents, their shooting was off. Harps had several bad wides and when they eventually managed to put the ball in the net, Ebby Toal was correctly blown up for over carrying. This disappointment, with ten minutes to go, effectively sealed the end of the Harps challenge, and in a rare attack, Cross added a close range point after some excellent possession football had brought the ball the length of the field. Harps managed one more point from Nippy, but it was Cross who finished the scoring with a point from a close in free on the stroke of full time.

Full time, Crossmaglen Rangers 1-13, Harps 0-05.

The Harps lined out as follows, Willie McSorley, Mark McConville, Martin Gill, Kevin Daly, Chuckie Morris, Colin Holmes 0-1, Paddy Grimes, Nippy Swift 0-1, Philly McKinney, Ebby Toal, Minnie Holmes, Gerard McDonagh, Ultan Lennon 0-3 (0-2 frees), Sean Morrison and Gary McKinney. Subs used, Gareth Richards, Harpo McKenna, Martin McCoy and Matt Cartmill.

Rufus T Firefly

Ulster Semi Final Tickets

Demand for the tickets for Sunday was quite brisk tonight. There are however a limited number left, including a few family tickets, and they are available on a first come first served basis. Please contact Sean Powell in the Club or any member of the committee if you want to reserve any that are left. 

crossfire

I was looking at the Roll of Honour on the Harps Website.

Did yous not win one or two under 21 titles in the last 10 years ?

Rufus T Firefly

You are quite correct Crossfire. 2005 Champions. There are actually a couple of photos of it in our gallery. I must get that sorted in the roll of honour.

Rufus T Firefly

As mentioned elsewhere on this Board, our Seniors suffered a heavy defeat last night that ensures they are going to be in the middle of a relegation dogfight between now and the end of the season. A report of the game (which comes with a health warning  :() has been posted on our website.

http://www.armaghharps.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=15&cntnt01returnid=37

Rufus T Firefly

Very important win for our Seniors last night in a relegation battle with fellow strugglers Mullabawn.

Not the greatest performance but a win nonetheless.

A report of the match has been put up on the Club's website.

http://www.armaghharps.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=17&cntnt01returnid=37

stew

I called home to get the Mullaghbawn result and was delighted to find that the Harps won. Hopefully this is the start of a long march into the better half of the table but for a team with as much talent as the Harps to be in trouble amazes me. :-[
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Ulster Final Tickets

Tickets for the Ulster Final will be distributed in the Club this Wednesday night, 9th July.

Tickets will be distributed to active members from 7.00 pm - 8.00 pm, and then to fully paid up members from 8.00 pm onwards.

Within the proposed distribution, tickets will be issued on a first come first served basis, one ticket per member.

Further details will be in tomorrow's Irish News.

Please pass this on.

Rufus T Firefly

Trading was quite brisk last night down at the Club, despite the monsoon outside.

Your mum sorted you out Red  :P - I might though have let it slip about the party in your house in 1990!    :-\

For anyone else looking in - there are a limited number of Hill, McGrane Stand and O'Duffy terrace tickets left. As before, first come first served basis - contact Conor Moore or leave your name with any member of the committee or with Sean Powell at the bar!

bennydorano

B game off Friday night, Senior game going ahead Sunday at 2pm in Abbey.

Rufus T Firefly

Our Seniors lost by six points this afternoon when visitors Culloville proved too strong, winning on a 1-14 to 0-11 scoreline. The defeat now leaves Harps in serious danger of relegation, with three victories probably needed from the last four fixtures, to meet the 16 point mark that usually guarantees safety.

A full report has been posted on the Club website.

http://www.armaghharps.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=22&cntnt01returnid=37

Passing_Interest

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 10, 2008, 06:43:10 PM
Your mum sorted you out Red  :P - I might though have let it slip about the party in your house in 1990!    :-\

Momentous night alright Rufus.......
bad enough that you made a miraculous recovery from a life threstening illness to scupper any slim chance I ever had of playing...... :'(
but now 18 years later you tout to my Ma !!
Nothing but the same old story.........

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Passing_Interest on July 16, 2008, 10:25:11 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 10, 2008, 06:43:10 PM

Momentous night alright Rufus.......
bad enough that you made a miraculous recovery from a life threstening illness to scupper any slim chance I ever had of playing...... :'(
but now 18 years later you tout to my Ma !!

Your mum wanted two Geriatric Stand tickets for you and your da! We had none and I sort of panicked- I should have talked about how bad the weather has been, but instead the talk veered onto structural damage to houses!   :-\

Anyway relax - I blamed the damage to the wallpaper on McKay - so it's a win win situation!!

Just back from a few days break in sunny Donegal and unfortunately our Seniors took another spill last night at home to Dromintee. That leaves things looking very bad I'd have to say! I'll hopefully get a report up early next week.

bennydorano

Tickets being given out Wednesday night in the club.  7pm for active members, 8pm for all other full members.

Rufus T Firefly

Bit late getting a report up on our website of the Dromintee match - apologies for that. Available at the link below if interested.

http://www.armaghharps.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=26&cntnt01returnid=37