Has Colm Parkinson made himself the most influential voice in GAA ?

Started by In hiding, September 15, 2018, 03:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: galwayman on September 17, 2018, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 15, 2018, 10:38:10 PM
Ewan mckenna

End of thread
McKenna is a grade A arsehole.
His articles are one whinge after another.

He's got his teeth into this Sean Cavanagh incident. He hasn't seen the incident but is calling on the police to press charges. I have heard different accounts on whether it was accidental or deliberate so for McKenna to be calling for charges without seeing footage or being at the match is a bit much of this stage.

Either way he seems to have moved on from the Dubs anyway. Wonder what's next on his list?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on September 17, 2018, 09:35:39 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 17, 2018, 08:42:38 AM
Why did Parkinson fall out with OTB, I saw him tweeting that they didn't credit him for his interview with the ladies Mayo manager, a bit narcissistic I thought.

He reckons a couple of the more high-profile people involved with OTB are spoofers (Joe Molloy isn't one of them).
I recall he was sticking the knife into them around the time they lost the radio rights to cover games.
Basically said they were only interested in GAA coverage when it suited them.

Did he think they should have got into a bidding war with RTE, the GAA made their choice and no surprise it was RTE, they control the narrative a lot better with RTE. I like OTB's coverage of GAA they get a lot right but by no means perfect. They must provide at at least 4 hours a week of GAA coverage, what do RTE Radio provide outside live coverage? Or Joe.ie for that matter.

Seems more personal to me, himself and Gilroy probably fell out, no doubt over money rather than creative differences.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: square_ball on September 17, 2018, 09:43:51 AM
Ewan mckenna

End of thread

He's got his teeth into this Sean Cavanagh incident. He hasn't seen the incident but is calling on the police to press charges. I have heard different accounts on whether it was accidental or deliberate so for McKenna to be calling for charges without seeing footage or being at the match is a bit much of this stage.

Either way he seems to have moved on from the Dubs anyway. Wonder what's next on his list?

Rugby, he loves rugby more than Dublin GAA.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 17, 2018, 09:46:11 AM
Why did Parkinson fall out with OTB, I saw him tweeting that they didn't credit him for his interview with the ladies Mayo manager, a bit narcissistic I thought.

He reckons a couple of the more high-profile people involved with OTB are spoofers (Joe Molloy isn't one of them).
I recall he was sticking the knife into them around the time they lost the radio rights to cover games.

Did he think they should have got into a bidding war with RTE, the GAA made their choice and no surprise it was RTE, they control the narrative a lot better with RTE. I like OTB's coverage of GAA they get a lot right but by no means perfect. They must provide at at least 4 hours a week of GAA coverage, what do RTE Radio provide outside live coverage? Or Joe.ie for that matter.

Seems more personal to me, himself and Gilroy probably fell out, no doubt over money rather than creative differences.

Reckon that's at the heart of it alright.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

square_ball

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 17, 2018, 09:49:01 AM
Quote from: square_ball on September 17, 2018, 09:43:51 AM
Ewan mckenna

End of thread

Rugby, he loves rugby more than Dublin GAA.

Must send him a tweet asking about the rumours of Ireland bidding for the rugby World Cup again.

rosnarun

still waiting for Parkinson podcast where he doesn't mention the he was a county player and won a minor title.
apart from that his most annoying habit is say 'What I cant understand is'
if you can t under stand it get some one to explain it to you and you might be a little bit more open minded and learn something.
he always listenable though
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

heffo

Quote from: rosnarun on September 17, 2018, 03:16:03 PM
still waiting for Parkinson podcast where he doesn't mention the he was a county player and won a minor title.
apart from that his most annoying habit is say 'What I cant understand is'

"I mean like, I've dropped off panels before..."

Yes Colm we know, you mention it twice per week

kopite

Quote from: Jinxy on September 17, 2018, 09:54:58 AM

Reckon that's at the heart of it alright.
And anyone that knows the two of us them so I'd say there's a pair of pricks in it..

dublin7

He actually praised newstalk for their has coverage when they had the rights for the matches and has been highly critical of RTE's lazy efforts on radio/tv and the GAA's decision to give it to them exclusively.

Made the point that he was listening a game on a sat when travelling to another when the left the game for a horse race and missed 10 min of the game. Pointed out newstalk wouldn't have done that.

heffo

Did he think they should have got into a bidding war with RTE, the GAA made their choice and no surprise it was RTE, they control the narrative a lot better with RTE.

Also Newstalk weren't paying their bills to the GAA and had a significant debt built up

AZOffaly

Ger Gilroy *cough*

Jinxy

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2018, 08:28:00 AM

Did he think they should have got into a bidding war with RTE, the GAA made their choice and no surprise it was RTE, they control the narrative a lot better with RTE.

Also Newstalk weren't paying their bills to the GAA and had a significant debt built up

Really?
That's interesting.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on September 19, 2018, 09:02:58 AM

Really?
That's interesting.

Yes indeedy. Offered airtime in lieu of payment to clear up the balance - airtime doesn't build clubhouses in Offaly though.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2018, 09:11:41 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 19, 2018, 09:02:58 AM

Really?
That's interesting.

Yes indeedy. Offered airtime in lieu of payment to clear up the balance - airtime doesn't build clubhouses in Offaly though.

That's madness, was this reported in the media? Paints a different picture.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

The GAA got a lot of flak for dropping OTB from the rights package.
Not least from them.
It's a wonder that angle didn't get a more public airing.