Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: farset on October 28, 2018, 10:16:34 AM
Quote from: ned on October 28, 2018, 09:15:05 AM
On the flip side St Paul's as a club shouldn't be in Division 3 and Ardoyne and Antrim are not far off the second teir either. Not sure the high scoring margins helps any club develop. A two section expanded second division might be healthier, leaving a six club Division three more competitive. Would advocate play offs then at end of the year between teams at either end of the divisions for right to enter the division above.

St Paul's are a Div 3 club now because they finished 2nd bottom of Division 2. The only team below them were ODs.

That's the attitude that makes people feel sympathy for them. There has to be parity. Antrim were up in Div 2 recently and got relegated. But longer since Ardoyne were there but they weren't good enough to get promoted unfortunately for them.

The problem with Div 3 is that there are a few clubs which aren't even at All County Div 3 standard. LLL and St Agnes should be playing South Antrim. Antrim only finished 4 points above St Malachy's like!!

League table always a good indicator of where teams are at.

Ardoyne and antrim were the 2 teams relegated from div 2 the previous season. There is a competitive 4-5 teams then a massive drop off going by results but I'm sure that's the case in a lot of counties. Nothing much can be done about it really we can't just keep making divisions bigger because other teams aren't up to standard.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: farset on October 28, 2018, 11:15:26 AM
I'm not sure that Ardoyne were in Div 2 last year. Can't remember them being there

Yes he's right Antrim and ardoyne were in div 2 last year
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

themac_23

Quote from: farset on October 28, 2018, 12:01:44 PM
Well then that indicates that the 4 or 5 clubs at the top of Division 3 are close enough to each other. As someone pointed out, the bottom of the division is where the problems lie but there's no solution to that if those clubs feel like they want to enter that competition bar a change if league format. I don't think this would be appealing to anyone really as they are all OK the way they are.

Can't see another league change really, I don't think there's enough clubs to really change much to make the bottom division any different really. Unless they went back to reserve teams being in the ACL but don't think too many be in favour of that

paddyjohn

Glenravel well beat or did the late goals flatter the Donegal side?

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 29, 2018, 08:31:58 AM

Just saw result. Depressing seeing our teams well beaten in Ulster.

Hectic

bannside

The two late goals flattered the scoreline I thought. Glenravel made a great comeback in the third quarter and brought the tie back to within a goal, but Red Hughs found more in the last five minutes to find the net twice and put the gloss on what was a closer game than the scoreline suggests.

Flanker

Mark Sweeney playing for St Judes in the Dublin county final tonight

No mean feat getting to that level

One of Sweeney's friends from home put him in touch with Chris Guckian, the current captain of the senior team. For the Antrim man, getting the right fit for his football and his personality was key.

"Chris phoned me, and we had a couple of chats on the phone, he was just telling me when training was and offering me a lift up, I phoned Kieran McGovern, another one of the players, and his attitude was, 'come up and we will see what you are about'. I was taken a bit aback and then I had the bit between my teeth to prove my worth.

"That's the thing about St Jude's, they will never go chasing players but if you are in the area and you are fit and able to play football and willing to commit to the standards the lads want then you will be welcome.

"I was struck by how close the team were. I'd never seen that before in a group, it was something that was infectious, I couldn't get over how these lads had created such an honest environment where they were challenging each other verbally and physically in every single training session, the sole purpose was to get the best out of each other and the team. That was completely new to me even with Antrim and Queen's University, I just thought this was class and something I could really get my teeth into.

"You are at inter-county level when you are competing at senior in Dublin, especially at this stage of the competition, the pace, the thought process is up there. When you are coming from intermediate, it was a massive step up the first couple of years. It was more a step up in mindset, even compared to some of the county set-ups - it surpasses some of them."

country bumpkin

Three nominated for County chair...........

Under Lights

Quote from: Hectic on October 29, 2018, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 29, 2018, 08:31:58 AM

Two goals (last min and stoppage time) put the gloss on.

https://thesaffrongael.com/2018/10/28/late-goals-kill-of-con-magee-hopes-as-red-hughs-book-semi-final-spot/amp/

Have they been presented with the league trophy yet

Belfast GAA man

country bumpkin

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 30, 2018, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 30, 2018, 04:04:14 PM
Who?
Ciaran Mc Cavanagh, Joe Edwards, and Owen Elliot according to Gaelic Life.......

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 31, 2018, 01:40:07 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 30, 2018, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 30, 2018, 04:04:14 PM
Who?
Ciaran Mc Cavanagh, Joe Edwards, and Owen Elliot according to Gaelic Life.......
3 experienced men there . Good to see. Would be good to hear their visions for the future

Hectic

Hmmm certainly at least one name there would not have me dancing a jig but sure we prob all have our own views.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Hectic on November 01, 2018, 02:10:33 PM
Hmmm certainly at least one name there would not have me dancing a jig but sure we prob all have our own views.

Hard for JE to make good on his past, CMcC know very little about & carries the hopes & support & PR of the SV machine now that Collies away, same faces behind this lad so is it going to be any different?  OE genuine straight arrow, would be good to hear what he has to say, doesn't do bells and whistles (pardon the pun) his commitment and record to the County is without question though,  may bring a much needed fresh approach.... However that doesn't get you votes in this day and age