Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 3343962 times)

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #36705 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »
cant see the leagues changing, the clubs wont want to change it again. If its not broke why medal with it? others have tried to have it changed to suit themselves and it didnt happen so sadly for BC they will be in D2 next year.

Entertaining game between ourselves and Lgiel. Disappointed in the result esp with the 15mins into the second half where we shipped 0-09 with no reply before we made the changes on the pitch. once we did that we got back level again but it was too much work too late in the game. lgiel got their goals late on to knock the wind right out of us.

Despite losing im pretty confident now that we could at least make a bit more progress this year in the championship with this squad.

Went to sleep for 15 minutes in SH
DD Quinn got LG over the line with great puck outs to ping the runners
We have some fire power now and shorty is coming to the boil at the right time
Great game and should have had a draw at least

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #36706 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
Did they not restructure for Ballycastle a few years ago?

I'm saying nothing!!!!!!!!!

There is a God!! ;)

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #36707 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:03 AM »
cant see the leagues changing, the clubs wont want to change it again. If its not broke why medal with it? others have tried to have it changed to suit themselves and it didnt happen so sadly for BC they will be in D2 next year.

Entertaining game between ourselves and Lgiel. Disappointed in the result esp with the 15mins into the second half where we shipped 0-09 with no reply before we made the changes on the pitch. once we did that we got back level again but it was too much work too late in the game. lgiel got their goals late on to knock the wind right out of us.

Despite losing im pretty confident now that we could at least make a bit more progress this year in the championship with this squad.

Went to sleep for 15 minutes in SH
DD Quinn got LG over the line with great puck outs to ping the runners
We have some fire power now and shorty is coming to the boil at the right time
Great game and should have had a draw at least

Not many better than DD when it comes to puckouts. Doesn't need a swashbuckling run up but with fantastic vision (and excellent movement from their middle third) can punch a ball 70 yards fast with low trajectory into a mans hand before a tackle can get to it. Gives them a real psychological edge knowing their puckout percentages are going to be high every game he plays. Apart from the 3rd quarter it was an enjoyable game to watch and was very well refereed by Owen Elliott who let the game go.
It’s a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gaelforce13

• View Profile
« Reply #36708 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
Hard to argue with that analysis DR. I really enjoyed the games impressed with the physical conditioning of Dunloy? Who was the lad taking the warm up? Some great young hurlers on view. Shamrocks my slight favourites for champo now. Dunloy still abit raw yet they are missing a Paddy liam Richmond or dick character atm imo. Although with a golden ticket to the final it's all on the day once they get there.

Disappointing result for the town last night although they have been staring it in the face all year got their house in order to late by the looks of it. The leagues may change I know St John's are very keen on it & I see their point tbf as they have been way above the standard of div 2 this year. If the town go down which they deserve to will it do them or antrim hurling any good racking up big scores against armoy agohill Randalstown carey  not sure.

ned

• View Profile
« Reply #36709 on: August 10, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
Problem with restructuring is that you might end up with one or two teams out of their depth in Division1. Does them no good just like it does St Johns or Ballycastle no good in Division2. Teams ebb and flow with a few exceptions.
Might the answer be a qualifying league? 4 groups of 4, playing 6 matches, top two in each group forms top division with play off  between teams in third place for two more places. Ten teams then play 9 matches each giving 15 matches all together. As it stands some teams aren't getting the chance to develop this might give a bit of leeway.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #36710 on: August 10, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
Hard to argue with that analysis DR. I really enjoyed the games impressed with the physical conditioning of Dunloy? Who was the lad taking the warm up? Some great young hurlers on view. Shamrocks my slight favourites for champo now. Dunloy still abit raw yet they are missing a Paddy liam Richmond or dick character atm imo. Although with a golden ticket to the final it's all on the day once they get there.

Disappointing result for the town last night although they have been staring it in the face all year got their house in order to late by the looks of it. The leagues may change I know St John's are very keen on it & I see their point tbf as they have been way above the standard of div 2 this year. If the town go down which they deserve to will it do them or antrim hurling any good racking up big scores against armoy agohill Randalstown carey  not sure.

lad taking it was Eoin mc Nicholl from Glenulin whos been with them all year looking after the physical aspect of their work. Hes done a good job with them IMO and has them going along nicely.

Agree with your assessment of us, were still a few years off winning a championship but they are maturing nicely at that level. Coby and Keelan look to be capable of playing at that level but are very light compared to those big defenders like Tony McCloskey, Ding, Neilly in there last night. Still it bodes well for the future for us

A good sign is shorty getting back again to his level.
hurl like f**k boi!

gaelforce13

• View Profile
« Reply #36711 on: August 10, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »

lad taking it was Eoin mc Nicholl from Glenulin whos been with them all year looking after the physical aspect of their work. Hes done a good job with them IMO and has them going along nicely.

Agree with your assessment of us, were still a few years off winning a championship but they are maturing nicely at that level. Coby and Keelan look to be capable of playing at that level but are very light compared to those big defenders like Tony McCloskey, Ding, Neilly in there last night. Still it bodes well for the future for us

A good sign is shorty getting back again to his level.
Yes he seems to have them in good nick. Young cunning is a joy to watch cute as a fox to. Shorty looked to be coming to the boil just at the right time. Loughgiels physical conditioning over the last number of years has been of a high level they have set the bar for all to follow.

Big result for Armoy last night I'm guessing Carey suffered from their result against us on Sunday which is understandable. We play Armoy at home on Wednesday night midweek games are a nono for us with so many lads working away so I'd say they'll get 2points there which would summon Carey to division 3. Strange circumstances after their performance on Sunday I'd make them favourites for Intermediate

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:51:36 PM by gaelforce13 »

SillyAsFaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #36712 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
Armoy could have won by a lot more. They seem to give away a lot of fouls which kept carey in the game. Thought we would have our tails up from the championship win.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:08:28 PM by SillyAsFaugh »

Fairhead

• View Profile
« Reply #36713 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »

The last time Ballycastle went down in 2010 I think you'll find Glenariffe sent them down with a last day upset win over Dunloy.

Beyond that clubs voted on any other restructure.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36714 on: August 11, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »

The last time Ballycastle went down in 2010 I think you'll find Glenariffe sent them down with a last day upset win over Dunloy.

They beat us twice that year ( I was manager) and went straight up.. tight enough games but they had too much for the other teams, was a one up one down league then... did them no harm and they went on to compete in a county final
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Glensman

• View Profile
« Reply #36715 on: August 11, 2017, 04:34:43 AM »
Clooney & Creggan won the Intermediate which means they have to play senior for 5 (I think) years

As far as I am aware there is no obligation to go into senior if you win intermediate and same with intermediate/junior. I could be wrong here. Always thought it was just etiquette/stepping up/testing yourself that teams went up to the grade above.

I think the 5 year rule discussed relates to the Ulster Championship. If you win ulster junior then you either can't compete in ulster junior for 5 years or can't represent ulster junior if you win it for 5 years. It might be an Antrim rule re the winning team's participation in Ulster, rather than an Ulster rule. Not sure!!

Anyone clarify which is right? It is a very tough/long rule for those clubs (of which there appear to be a good few) who sit in the bracket of either (i) decent enough to win junior at a push but not intermediate or (ii) decent enough to win intermediate in a good year but get tanked at senior.

Not sure if discussed previously but 2/3 years would probably be fairer? I get that you should not be able to win it/represent Antrim 2 years running.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #36716 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »

Jesus don't mention that again  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Glentaisie

• View Profile
« Reply #36717 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »

Jesus don't mention that again  ;)

Agent Humpy is in place :-)

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #36718 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
FROM FACEBOOK
Ruairí Óg CLG
6 mins ·
Tonights (Wed) ACSHL game away to Cloughmills has been cancelled as Cloughmills are unable to field.
Please spread the word.

Strange Cloughmills couldn't get a team for championship or is there something else to this?

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #36719 on: August 16, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
FROM FACEBOOK
Ruairí Óg CLG
6 mins ·
Tonights (Wed) ACSHL game away to Cloughmills has been cancelled as Cloughmills are unable to field.
Please spread the word.

Strange Cloughmills couldn't get a team for championship or is there something else to this?

Was there not a death on the Cloughmills parish?