The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Ronnie Whelan on Robbie Keane  ::)

"Robbie's not going to get you 20+ goals a season"

Eh how many did he score for Spurs a season over the last few years?
it was 23 last year Ronnie
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Dunphy obviously doesn't remember Mirandinho or whatever his name was who played for Newcastle!!!

I agree with some of what they say though.  I still have my doubts about Arbeloa.  I think Kuyt gives too many sloppy passes.  If they wanted a man to run around all day they could have bought Brian Dooher!

However, more positives than negatives.  Keane and Torres linked well, Robbie got his first and hopefully not last goal. Stevie G's goal was a super strike, but I have to question the positioning of the wall and the poor closing down by the loose players.  They just stood watching it.  Thank fcuk Barry wasn't bought and hopefully Rafa will persist with Xavi.  Riera is looking a decent buy. 

Looking forward the game at the weekend is very important.  I think Rafa should have left Robbie on and taken Torres off as I felt he looked a bit heavy legged.  I would also have had Babel on earlier and certainly before Benny as I do not rate him.  But one step closer to qualification and if that can be achieved sooner rather than later then all the better.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on October 01, 2008, 10:26:19 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 01, 2008, 09:56:46 PM
Ronnie Whelan on Robbie Keane  ::)

"Robbie's not going to get you 20+ goals a season"

Eh how many did he score for Spurs a season over the last few years?
it was 23 last year Ronnie
One of your heroes slagging off another hero of yours.

*Assuming Ronnie Whelan is a hero of yours.

Ronnie Whelan is defo a hero...Keane not so much......Yet
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Medic

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 01, 2008, 09:48:08 PM
Dunphy taking the absolute piss tonight..

"Liverpool are a team full of donkeys,Kuyt is a donkey,Masherano is a donkey,Arbeola is useless he is a complete donkey,Lucas is a Brazilian,he is the worst Brazilian to ever play football he is a donkey"

An easy 3-1 win tonight,Top of our Champions League group,joint top of the Premier League,already after beating Man United and Everton but Liverpool are still a team of donkeys  ::)

Meant to ad he might have been right about one of the players  ;)

hahaha oh my god that genuinely had me cracken up big time!!! i wouldn't lose a second's worth of sleep over that piss taking  :D
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

stevo-08

only caught the last 10mins of game last night. good result against what seems were a very poor team. great to see robbie get the goal he badly needed, hopefully thats only the start of things to come from him. And great strike from Gerrard for his 100th.

wouldnt heed too much of what giles, dunphy & co. were saying. same old sh*t from them. Riera has started just 4 games for Liverpool and already they are accusing Rafa of turning him into another Kuyt. WTF ??? ???

But they did have a point about Rafa's loyalty to Kuyt. He plays nearly every single game for Liverpool and rarely gets taken off. Now every liverpool supporter appreciates Kuyt's workrate and he has come up with very important goals, but it is really amazing how much gametime the lad gets. anyway, no point opening up the whole kuyt debate again - Rafa sees him as a key man and that aint going to change anytime soon.

What will be interesting is how the midfield/attacking formation pans out. Alonso is back in form, Mascherano is a key player, Gerrard has played well in CM, Torres & Keane are just starting to form a partnership. Rafa has a number of options which is great, and he could go for 4-4-2 like last night or 4-2-3-1 with masch/alonso in CM, gerrard moving forward & keane losing out.

Goats Do Shave

QuoteLiverpool are a team full of donkeys,Kuyt is a donkey,Masherano is a donkey,Arbeola is useless he is a complete donkey,Lucas is a Brazilian,he is the worst Brazilian to ever play football he is a donkey"

Accurate enough!   ;)

corn02

How people don't see Kuty as a main man is beyond me. Nice article in the daily mail about him winning round the critics slowly and surely and people coping on to his value to the teasm. Was in the Kop last night so had a view of the picth that you don't get on tv and the space Kuyt creates for the overlapping defender is crazy. If we had someone like Evra in fullback we would swat teams out of the way. I know you should be saying our winger should be exposing the space but Kuyt knows he can not take a man on with the "skills to pay the bills" and he is just so intelligent about it now. Still frustrating - but has been one of our best players this season. 10 goals in 16 champions league games is superb especially for someone not playing as a striker - such contrast to his league scoring rate.

On the game itself, PSV were terrible. Even at 2-0 they kept the 5-4-1. Theye got joy down the wings but just did not want to commit men forward. For the Pool everyone was decent. Two centre-halfs were grand but a big sluggish for the goal. I said on this thread before the season started that Skrtl is going to have a massive year and he certainly is. Arbeloa, who I am continually impressed with, was dodgy last night and got turned too easily. Kuyt was very, very good. Alonso put in a great shift, I would of have had as my MOTM. Gerrard was quiet for the majority but, as usual, pulled out a clinker. Reira had a quiet enough match. Keane had another good hard-working display. He is like Kuyt with the amount of closing down he does. Torees look off the pace last night and I would of had him off before Robbie.

Interesting note - when Keane scored half the Kop started going Keano, Keano while the other half booed.

Cue, to the tune of let it be, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, his names not f**king Keano,, it's Robbie Keane.

magpie seanie

Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2008, 07:57:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 27, 2008, 07:43:58 PM
QuoteUnited only beat Bolton thanks to a foul and penalty no one except the referee saw

Obviously Rooney's goal doesn't count because......why exactly? It was never a penalty but there was a very strong chance United would have got the win anyway.

Mike Riley was a complete joke again (for both teams). He hands out cards for nothing. 7 bookings for United last week. Crazy red and yellows again today.

Seanie, for someone who generally appears to be an intelligent fellow, you really need to take the blinkers off when discussing United. Its a cliche that every ten year old knows that the first goal in a game like that is THE important moment of the game. Maybe United would have scored anyway, but it was certainly not a given, particularly when you look at Liverpool's struggle last week or Arsenal's today.

The initial post said United only won thanks to the penalty. That statement was horseshit. If it had said "largely thanks to" or something like that then fair enough but it didn't. Obviously the penalty was the most important incident but there was a fair chance United would have won anyway. I watched the game and the pattern of the game was actually unaffected by the penalty goal for what its worth.

Mentalman

Good result last night, won at a canter, pity about losing the goal.

As for Whelan, Dunphy & Giles. I think some of us are being a bit too defensive.

Putting the closing donkey remarks aside, the context of talking about Kyut was always prefaced by saying he was a very admirable player. Also Mascherano's was early decribed as more wrokman like than Alonso, which is a tad unfair to a lad who is beginning to play a bit of football. I thought a lot of it was no more than most Liverpool fans have discussed, even here - closing tirade apart.

I was watching the game with some mates and when Lucas came on the discussion was about how he was more a poor man's Gilberto Silva than Diego . The guy was in the papers saying he'd like more game time, which he's entitled to say, but taking into account his age, he simply isn't better than the other options in midfield...yet...he's no Denilson at Arsenal though. Maybe he should be given more matches, like League & FA cup to being him on. Babel definitely needs to be getting more game time in those sort of matches too, he maybe young, but he won't be forever. Doesn't like being kicked those he? :) Delighted for Robbie last night. Gerrard & Alonso  looking the part. Riera didn't get up to much on the wing. Torres did well by times, but still seems a little leggy to me. Central defense solid other than being asleep for the goal. The old fullbacks still looking ordinary, but with Aurelio back from injury - hopefully he stays fit - maybe the left side will improve.

Roll on City, we'll have an even better idea of Liverpool's credentials after that match.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

gawa316

Quote from: Mentalman on October 02, 2008, 12:05:51 PM

Roll on City, we'll have an even better idea of Liverpool's credentials after that match.

Definitely think Masch will need to start this game to limit the threat of Robinho and Elano.

My team for Sunday

Reina
Arbeloa, Carra, Skrtel, Aurelio
            Masch, Alonso
Kuyt          Gerrard     Riera
                Torres

Find it hard to leave Keane out but rafa will never drop kuyt. Babel to come on with 20 left and run them ragged

stevo-08

Quote from: corn02 on October 02, 2008, 10:11:00 AM
How people don't see Kuty as a main man is beyond me. Nice article in the daily mail about him winning round the critics slowly and surely and people coping on to his value to the teasm. Was in the Kop last night so had a view of the picth that you don't get on tv and the space Kuyt creates for the overlapping defender is crazy. If we had someone like Evra in fullback we would swat teams out of the way. I know you should be saying our winger should be exposing the space but Kuyt knows he can not take a man on with the "skills to pay the bills" and he is just so intelligent about it now. Still frustrating - but has been one of our best players this season. 10 goals in 16 champions league games is superb  especially for someone not playing as a striker  - such contrast to his league scoring rate.

On the game itself, PSV were terrible. Even at 2-0 they kept the 5-4-1. Theye got joy down the wings but just did not want to commit men forward. For the Pool everyone was decent. Two centre-halfs were grand but a big sluggish for the goal. I said on this thread before the season started that Skrtl is going to have a massive year and he certainly is. Arbeloa, who I am continually impressed with, was dodgy last night and got turned too easily. Kuyt was very, very good. Alonso put in a great shift, I would of have had as my MOTM. Gerrard was quiet for the majority but, as usual, pulled out a clinker. Reira had a quiet enough match. Keane had another good hard-working display. He is like Kuyt with the amount of closing down he does. Torees look off the pace last night and I would of had him off before Robbie.

Interesting note - when Keane scored half the Kop started going Keano, Keano while the other half booed.

Cue, to the tune of let it be, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, his names not f**king Keano,, it's Robbie Keane.

16 CL games!!! I dont think so Corn, more like 26 CL appearances. And dont forget that it was only in the middle of last season that kuyt reverted to the right midfield position so he's played plenty of games as a striker.

But I do think he is an important player to the squad - his workrate is immence, he's an intelligent player, he has scored some important goals. but there are alot of negatives to his game aswell and I just find it frustrating that in games when Liverpool are chasing a goal, he's the very last person to come off - Rafa would prefer to take off Keane/Alonso/Riera etc. Anyway, as I said I dont want to open the whole kuyt debate again.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 02, 2008, 11:13:43 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2008, 07:57:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 27, 2008, 07:43:58 PM
QuoteUnited only beat Bolton thanks to a foul and penalty no one except the referee saw

Obviously Rooney's goal doesn't count because......why exactly? It was never a penalty but there was a very strong chance United would have got the win anyway.

Mike Riley was a complete joke again (for both teams). He hands out cards for nothing. 7 bookings for United last week. Crazy red and yellows again today.

Seanie, for someone who generally appears to be an intelligent fellow, you really need to take the blinkers off when discussing United. Its a cliche that every ten year old knows that the first goal in a game like that is THE important moment of the game. Maybe United would have scored anyway, but it was certainly not a given, particularly when you look at Liverpool's struggle last week or Arsenal's today.

The initial post said United only won thanks to the penalty. That statement was horseshit. If it had said "largely thanks to" or something like that then fair enough but it didn't. Obviously the penalty was the most important incident but there was a fair chance United would have won anyway. I watched the game and the pattern of the game was actually unaffected by the penalty goal for what its worth.

Ok pedant!

corn02

Quote from: stevo-08 on October 02, 2008, 01:52:29 PM
Quote from: corn02 on October 02, 2008, 10:11:00 AM
How people don't see Kuty as a main man is beyond me. Nice article in the daily mail about him winning round the critics slowly and surely and people coping on to his value to the teasm. Was in the Kop last night so had a view of the picth that you don't get on tv and the space Kuyt creates for the overlapping defender is crazy. If we had someone like Evra in fullback we would swat teams out of the way. I know you should be saying our winger should be exposing the space but Kuyt knows he can not take a man on with the "skills to pay the bills" and he is just so intelligent about it now. Still frustrating - but has been one of our best players this season. 10 goals in 16 champions league games is superb  especially for someone not playing as a striker  - such contrast to his league scoring rate.

16 CL games!!! I dont think so Corn, more like 26 CL appearances.

Where you getting that sta. Every paper said 10th in 16 games?

Mentalman

Not a bad scoring ratio at all, and some of those were in big games too.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."