The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

gawa316

There's big chat on some of the Liverpool forums about the possibility of signing Keane.

I would love this to happen, proven in the prem, no settling in period, can play in numerous positions in the forward line...what would Tony say?

Chrisowc

I watched a bit of that lastnight on Spanish TV.  He's crazy ;D

They showed him on the plane after it landed standing on the seats and leading the sing song.

Keane would be a brilliant signing.  Someone Ive wanted to join Liverpool for a long time.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

GalwayBayBoy

Fernando Torres - I owe success to Liverpool FC
Jul 1 2008 By Nick Smith

FERNANDO TORRES believes that playing for Liverpool has turned him into a European champion.

The Spain striker scored the goal against Germany in Vienna on Sunday which decided the Euro 2008 final.

The strike secured Spain's first title in 44 years and the first major honour of Torres' career.

Liverpool have been basking in the reflected glory of their Spanish contingent, and the part Torres played in the triumph.

His winner means Torres has scored 36 goals for club and country in 53 competitive matches since he moved to Anfield last summer.

Liverpool also had Xabi Alonso, Jose Reina and Alvaro Arbeloa in the Spain squad, but it was the contribution of Torres in the final which put him in the spotlight.

Torres paid tribute to Liverpool and the club's fans for their part in his success story.

He said: "I have had a wonderful first season at Anfield and the 33 goals I scored for Liverpool gave

me the confidence and belief I needed for the European finals.

"And I would like to thank the manager Rafa Benitez and his staff because I have improved as a player thanks to them.

"But it is not just the people at the club who have helped me, it is also the supporters and the people of the city.

"From the moment I first came to Liverpool I have been made to feel welcome and that is why I am able to enjoy my football. so much.

"It is incredible. The Liverpool fans have given me so much support and I know that they have even been supporting Spain and this is something I will never forget and I thank everyone for that.

"Now I am looking forward to competing for trophies with Liverpool because I know that means so much to the club and the fans."

Torres, 24, added: "This is a dream come true and now we have a place in European history so it is very special.

"It is my first major title but I hope it will be the first of many because I want to win many more titles with Liverpool and Spain."

Benitez took pride in Torres' triumph and the Liverpool manager, overseeing the club's return to pre-season training yesterday, has given the triumphant Spain players an extra three weeks' holiday.

Torres surprisingly suffered some heavy criticism from the Spanish media during the tournament, but Benitez was quick to praise Torres. Liverpool's record signing.

He said: "I am very proud of Fernando, especially after he has been criticised from some journalists in Spain.

"Everyone in Spain remembers the Marcelino goal from 44 years ago (when Spain were last European champions), and the last final Spain were in was 24 years ago. Now people will talk about Torres in the same way." I am very proud of him and what he has achieved."

Benitez added: watched the game from his Wirral home, and said: "Spain played well. For 10 minutes at the start of each half Germany were pressing, but after that Spain controlled the game.

"The first goal changed the game. After that Metzelder pushed forward and Torres was left one versus one. Spain could play on the counter and that was important.

"They had three or four players in the middle with real quality and played good football."

corn02

I see Insua signed a new contract - happy about this, the boy is one for the future.

Villa have disciplined Barry as well - sounds like a spanking.

corn02

I wonder how much we got for Le Tallac - Probably about 0.5million.

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on July 02, 2008, 03:12:17 PM
I wonder how much we got for Le Tallac - Probably about 0.5million.

Tins of beans? Good deal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Over the Bar

QuoteFernando Torres - I owe success to Liverpool FC

Reads like a man who's trying to avoid getting his house burgled.........

corn02

stevo-08

will be great to see this guy back in a Liverpool shirt. Badly missed last season.

Reds really missed Agger, says Rafa
Rafael Benitez believes the injury absence of centre-back Daniel Agger cost Liverpool in the race for the Premier League title last season.

The Danish centre-back proved to be one of Liverpool's most consistent performers in 2006/07 as Liverpool reached the Champions League final.

Agger, though, missed the majority of last season with a recurring foot problem after breaking a metatarsal in the first half of the campaign to leave veteran Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher forced to play a combined total of 62 league games.

And, as a fully-fit Agger returned to pre-season training on Thursday, Benitez admits the 23-year-old has been missed at Anfield as youngster Jack Hobbs and full-back Alvaro Arbeloa were also forced into central defensive duty.

"I think it cost us early in the season," Benitez told Liverpool's official website.

"We conceded goals at the end of games which finished as draws because Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher were playing too many games in a row.

"We were using Jack Hobbs in some games and Alvaro Arbeloa as a centre-back; clearly we missed Daniel Agger.

"He is a centre-back but good on the ball and a threat for the other team too. We missed Agger."

However, Benitez has praised the contribution of Martin Skrtel, who arrived as a £6million signing from Zenit St Petersburg in January.

Benitez added: "We knew this player when he was 18. It was funny because some people were going to see Everton against Zenit and were saying this player really has ability.

"But we already had four or five videos of him which we liked. We had already sent our people over there and we knew he was the player for us.

"It can be difficult to settle down in this country but Martin has been really good."

GalwayBayBoy

Andrea Dossena has today put pen to paper on a four-year Anfield deal. 
The Italian full-back becomes Rafael Benitez's second acquisition of the summer following the arrival of Swiss international Philipp Degen.

Dossena, who has been capped once at senior level by Italy, is seen as the ideal replacement for John Arne Riise, who departed for Roma earlier this month.

The 26-year-old began his career aged 14 with Hellas Verona in northern Italy, coming through the ranks before spending four seasons in the senior squad.

His big break came when he signed for Udinese in 2005, though he was immediately loaned to Treviso FBC 1993 for a year.

The defender returned to the Stadio Friuli ahead of the 2006-07 campaign, where his form eventually saw him make his international bow in a friendly against South Africa in October 2007.

By the end of the season his move to Merseyside had been confirmed, with Dossena saying: "Liverpool are a great team, and it is great to be linked to such a famous club. I want to play Champions League football, the Reds have already won it and they often get to the big games. In England, they are on the same level as Manchester United."

GalwayBayBoy

Swiss defender Philipp Degen has today put pen to paper on a four year Anfield deal. 
The 25-year-old - who was an unused substitute during the recent European Championships - has opted for a new career with the Reds after his contact at Borussia Dortmund expired last season.

Degen becomes the first new arrival at Anfield this summer, with left back Andrea Dossena likely to follow in his footsteps over the coming days.

After agreeing to sign Degen last month, manager Rafael Benitez said: "Philipp is still young but has gained great experience from playing in the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund and on the international stage with Switzerland. He also played in the Champions League during his time with Basel and so is used to top level football.

"He is an offensive player with great energy and a winning mentality. His strength is going forward and I am confident he will be prove to be a quality addition to our squad."

He added: "Sometimes you can find these players on the market. When you find a player like him who costs no money it means you can use money for improving other parts of the squad.

"He is a good signing, a player of potential, who can help us improve in the wide areas."

Degen began his career with FC Basel in 1996, making his debut five years later.

Four seasons in the first team followed, during which he claimed three league titles and one domestic cup.

His time at St Jakob Park also gave him a taste of Champions League football. In fact, Degen was an unused sub when Basel claimed a 1-1 draw at Anfield in 2002-03.

In 2005 the defender joined the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund.

Degen, who featured four times for his country in the 2006 World Cup, spent three years with the German giants, the last of which was blighted by injury.

The full-back recovered in time for Euro 2008, a tournament co-hosted by Switzerland. Unfortunately he did not feature as the Swiss failed to negotiate the group stages.

Degen, who is fluent in French and German, has a twin, David, who also plays professional football. 

Yes I Would

Right the messin about is over Rafa!! Time to deliver and hope you have done your homework on these two!!

More i think about it less convinced i am with this Barry deal. Villa holding out for big dough and im not convinced he is worth it. Alonso should be perservered with. Yes he wasnt great last year but hopefully Spain winnin Euro's can kickstart things for him. He was pushing hard for a place in prob the best midfield in world football. Would Gareth Barry have been anywhere near that Spanish outfit!! I think not!!

Chrisowc

Quote from: Yes I Would on July 04, 2008, 11:57:46 PM
Right the messin about is over Rafa!! Time to deliver and hope you have done your homework on these two!!

More i think about it less convinced i am with this Barry deal. Villa holding out for big dough and im not convinced he is worth it. Alonso should be perservered with. Yes he wasnt great last year but hopefully Spain winnin Euro's can kickstart things for him. He was pushing hard for a place in prob the best midfield in world football. Would Gareth Barry have been anywhere near that Spanish outfit!! I think not!!

I agree with that.  I was reluctant to see Alonso leave before the Euros.  Now I'm convinced.  Let Villa stew for 5 or 6 weeks and if they don't break we'll get Barry for about £10m in January.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!