The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Complaints about Benitez resting Torres - now complaints that he's looking tired?  :-\

Rossie11

To me he is tired and has been the past few games. Touch is off and a yard slower in pace and ends up getting flattened like last night.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 22, 2008, 10:33:51 AM
From a Villa point of view I was dissapointed that we could not hold on for the final few minutes, but all things considered a point at Anfield is a good result.  Thought Liverpool struggled at the back all night with the physical threat of Carew and when Harewood came on this was highlighted even more.

You can't be serious?

I thought Villa were actually pretty poor to be honest. They didn't have a single chance worthy of the name until Harewood decided to knock in an overhead kick of all things and then it took a huge slice of luck for Mellberg's effort to be deflected over the head of Reina. Up to then Villa had been completely toothless up front and had been pinned in their own half for most of the game. Hyppia had Carew in his pocket and Sami is ancient.

Doogie Browser

I was very serious GBB, maybe its small team syndrome on our behalf but when we go to places like Anfield, OT etc we will play a containment type of game, the onus is not on us to attack too early for fear of being exposed at the back.  In my opinion O'Neill got it right with tactics last night, we were one down and he brought on another striker who changed the game, contrast this with Rafa's changes and i think you will see my point, for you to basically imply that harewood's goal was a freak is ludicrous, credit where credit is due he did very well and actually looked very good every time he ran at the liverpool defence, the game should have been over when we went 2-1 up if Gabby had released the ball sooner to Reo-Coker.  From my barstool I thought Carew won his battle up front, typical Liverpool reaction really as they cannot accept their obvious deficiences, as if to illustrate my point Laursen won every header in the liverpool box last night did he not?  He was immense again but will feel he should have cleared the ball for the equaliser.
As poor a Liverpool team we have faced in years in my opinion.

Blacksheep

If they don't get the defence sorted soon they'll be lucky to be playing UEFA cup football next year. Rafa is a greast guy but needs to sort out the defence quickly.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

An Fear Rua

Finnan has retired from International football
Its Grim up North

Minder

Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 22, 2008, 02:55:04 PM
Finnan has retired from International football

He retired from club football a few months ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 22, 2008, 02:39:15 PM
I was very serious GBB, maybe its small team syndrome on our behalf but when we go to places like Anfield, OT etc we will play a containment type of game, the onus is not on us to attack too early for fear of being exposed at the back.  In my opinion O'Neill got it right with tactics last night, we were one down and he brought on another striker who changed the game, contrast this with Rafa's changes and i think you will see my point, for you to basically imply that harewood's goal was a freak is ludicrous, credit where credit is due he did very well and actually looked very good every time he ran at the liverpool defence, the game should have been over when we went 2-1 up if Gabby had released the ball sooner to Reo-Coker.  From my barstool I thought Carew won his battle up front, typical Liverpool reaction really as they cannot accept their obvious deficiences, as if to illustrate my point Laursen won every header in the liverpool box last night did he not?  He was immense again but will feel he should have cleared the ball for the equaliser.
As poor a Liverpool team we have faced in years in my opinion.

Frankly we should have been 2 or 3 up even before Harewood produced an overhead kick which he probably won't manage for the remainder of his career but fair play to him he took it well.

I was actually disappointed with Villa. I thought they would have a go but really they were just hanging on for the entire game and then managed to nick something from a set-piece (which seems to be Villa's main way of scoring these days). I thought Carew was a big immobile lump up front. Sami had no trouble with him.

As a footballing side Villa offered very little. A few long balls into the box which to be fair they are good at as they have a fair few big players but that's it. Villa went 2-1 up having only been in the Liverpool penalty area twice all game so in that sense they were certainly economical.

Unfortunately for us it was a typical home performance this season. Dominate the game, dominate possession but not taking chances when they are presented. A 1-0 lead is not a safe one so it reminded me of the game against Wigan in that regard.

magpie seanie

Watched the game last night in hope of some entertainment and was not let down. Obviously it wasn't the standard of play (I knew that would be mediocre at best) but I suspected the behaviour of the creators of the bestest ever atmosphere at games ever would be comical. So it proved. They started off full of gusto. Gone are the big embraces, scarf throwing and fawning that greeted the arrival of the yanks. Plenty of vitriolic chants in their direction. Understandable, if somewhat belated and a complete U-turn. 1-0 up and its Rafa this, Rafa that. Rafa's a great fella altogether. I found that a bit amusing. The fat waiter may be a nice chap but he's not going to win the Premiership with Liverpool and the fans are happy with this?

Fast forward to 2 Villa goals from set pieces. Plenty of camera shots of the vitriol being poured down on the players and management. Lads leaving in considerable numbers with 5 minutes plus stoppages to go (I thought this only happened in Old Trafford?).

It would make you laugh.

Someone said it earlier on this thread and last night highlighted, underlined and bolded it - Liverpool will not win the Premiership with Steven Gerrard in central midfield.

On Villa - I thought they were muck and very disappointing up until they scored. After that they were good enough and really should have seen out the win. Liverpool probably deserved the draw on the balance of play but Villa should be sick about it as it was a bad mistake by Laursen.

GalwayBayBoy

Why do you bother your arse Seanie?

Go troll elsewhere.

Minder

Go and immerse yourself with the real issues Seanie, like whether youse should have a minutes silence or a minutes applause before the Man City game.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

QuoteWhy do you bother your arse Seanie?

Well a couple of things like the American owners and Gerrard I've been told I'm wrong about many times on here and I'm just delighted to see that a lot of people are coming round to my viewpoint. Just trying to help you along.  ;D

Quotelike whether youse should have a minutes silence or a minutes applause before the Man City game.

Well to be honest as said by a spokesman for Manchester United (they are right about this) I don't see any reason why you would applaud 28 people being killed in an accident. If people can't keep quiet identify them and (1) never let them go to a match again (2) charge them with incitement to cause a riot. There will be enough cameras at OT on the day to cover that corner. Maybe I'm naive but I think the cITy fans will have respect in the end.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2008, 03:15:35 PM

Go troll elsewhere.

If he lost a bit of the triumphalist and patronizing tone, he makes an arguable point.

Silky

Quote from: J70 on January 22, 2008, 05:55:59 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2008, 03:15:35 PM

Go troll elsewhere.

If he lost a bit of the triumphalist and patronizing tone, he makes an arguable point.
Aye but its still hard to take from a[ Edited by Mod 3 - There are clear rules about the childish name calling between Liverpool and Man U fans especially. This is not on. Silky, you are now on a warning].

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2008, 04:50:55 PM
QuoteWhy do you bother your arse Seanie?

Well a couple of things like the American owners and Gerrard I've been told I'm wrong about many times on here and I'm just delighted to see that a lot of people are coming round to my viewpoint. Just trying to help you along.  ;D

Quotelike whether youse should have a minutes silence or a minutes applause before the Man City game.

Well to be honest as said by a spokesman for Manchester United (they are right about this) I don't see any reason why you would applaud 28 people being killed in an accident. If people can't keep quiet identify them and (1) never let them go to a match again (2) charge them with incitement to cause a riot. There will be enough cameras at OT on the day to cover that corner. Maybe I'm naive but I think the cITy fans will have respect in the end.

The vast majority of City fans will be respectful, but it will only take a few idiots to spoil it, resulting in  outbursts of sanctimony from all corners of the globe from United fans. How long did we have to hear about the couple of knobs who broke the sinks at Old Trafford during the '06 FA cup semi?