The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Maybe not a vintage performance but what does it matter,Job done and onwards we go

As for the 1/4 finals draw,I suppose we should be hoping for one from Schalke,Fernabache,AS Roma or Manchester United in the draw
Would like to avoid Chelsea most of all as they owe us one in Europe
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 11, 2008, 10:04:38 PM
Maybe not a vintage performance but what does it matter,Job done and onwards we go

As for the 1/4 finals draw,I suppose we should be hoping for one from Schalke,Fernabache,AS Roma or Manchester United in the draw
Would like to avoid Chelsea most of all as they owe us one in Europe

True I hope we avoid Chelsea as I'm sick of playing them in Europe. Even if we usually beat them.

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

deiseach

His armband proved he was a Red
Torres, Torres
You'll Never Walk Alone, it said
Torres, Torres
We bought the lad from sunny Spain
He gets the ball, he scores again
Fernando Torres, Liverpool's No 9

stiffler

Last 8:

Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Barcelona
Fernebahce
Schalke 04
Roma

Is it a bit early to be looking at flights to Moscow? :D
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stiffler on March 11, 2008, 10:24:08 PM
Last 8:

Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Barcelona
Fernebahce
Schalke 04
Roma

Is it a bit early to be looking at flights to Moscow? :D

I'll have a M please Bob  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

A few random thoughts on last night. The most overriding one is ... PPPHHHHEEEWWWWW!. How hard did we make that on ourselves? I thought Babel and Kuyt were very, very poor on the wings, and Babel nearly cost us a goal a couple of times by falling asleep. When Inter were so narrow, there was no excuse for them getting behind our back 4, but a couple of times they did that, and we almost paid the price.

Ibrahimovic was cat. If Torres was wearing blue and black stripes last night, we'd be out.

Skrtel is not half the 'ball player' he thinks he is. He was caught in possession against West Ham and Newcastle, and got away with it, and last night his suicide pass to Ibrahimovic was a genuine WTF? moment. He looks promising, but he has to learn when it is appropriate to pass the ball and when it is appropriate to kick the stictching off of it.

Carra reminded me last night of why he used to get stick when he played at right back under Houllier. I'm not too worried about it though, because it was horses for courses last night, and the way Inter were set up, they were never really going to give him a torrid time, but when he has the ball, the only thing he knows is a long pass.

Overall, I think we are very lucky to be going through, but I don't think too many teams would fancy playing Liverpool, despite what the lads on RTE think, and on their day, which is what this competition is all about, I'm not sure Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United are as far ahead of Liverpool as they think.

Anyway, the recent run of good results continues, so onwards and upwards.

supersarsfields

For once I kinda agree with the RTE pundits. Poor performance, good result.
I thought Liverpool looked so nervous when in possession of the ball last night. The amount of stray passess was unbelivable especially ones were the player wasn't under undue pressure. In saying that I couldn't believe how bad Inter were. I know they were missing their first choice defence and ended up down a man but they were so poor. Even when they had 11 men they never really looked liked scoring.
Liverpool badly need to get a right back sorted for cover for Finnan. Carra out there just does not look comfortable at all and the centre of defence looks less that solid when Carra is missing. In saying that Skertel (sp) looks a decent defender if like AZ mentioned he doesn't try too much with the pass.
Yet again Torres settles Liverpool down. Great turn and strike. He really is hitting form at the minute.
Also I think Renia should get a mention as well. He has been very consistant of late and his positional sence when covering Hypia for the ball over the top is suberb.
Would still like to avoid the English teams in the quarters to be honest. As we'll have them in the league shortly anyway.

brokencrossbar1

Didn't see the game as I was out with real men in the wind and ran training for a real man's game :P  Caught the last of it on the radio.  Alan Greene finds it very hard to cover up his Liverpool leanings at the minute and basically loves Torres and wants to have his babies!

Play average and win in a difficult away fixture is a good result.  It sets things up nicely for the run in to the end of the season.  With the next few weeks being vital to the value of the season the last ten minutes in teh first leg cannot be underestimated.

While it is good at the minute going forward, like sarsfield man I think special mention has to go to the defence, and Reina in particular.  Most clean sheets in the Premier League and two great saves last night, he is the bedrock in my view that the success is being generated on. 

With strong cover in the middle, soild defence and a serious threat going forward, there is the potential to win the thing again.  I think of all the managers left in the competition too that Rafa is tactically the most astute for winning in Europe with onkly Wenger being his equal.  This is not a side shot at Fergie but I think that over two legs Liverpools style of play and Rafas tactical awareness of how to play the game in Europe is key.

From the draw point of view, I don't fear anyone.  The nightmare scenario is that they all avoid each other and win their respective Q/F's, then we will have 2 months of pure media hell.

Uladh

Greene is a bit of a joke at this stage. he seems to be labouring under impression that i listen to 5live for endless ramblings from the his bottomless vault of opinions rather than hearing informed description of what is happening in the game. him and nolan... ruining 5live for me.

brokencrossbar1

Fcuk, Uladh and me agreeing about soemthing!  Better not let that happen again ;)

Norf Tyrone

Seen bits of the game...

... Torres looks a better signing every day. Arguable if he's the best forward in the premiership, but I'd say he's definately the best finnisher!

And...how s**t has Viera become!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 12, 2008, 11:45:34 AM

exactly my thoughts. And how good is Mascherano becoming!!!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: stevo-08 on March 12, 2008, 11:58:06 AM

I praised Torres. That's my unbiased comment for the day gone. Sorry. Try again tomorrow  ;)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 12, 2008, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on March 12, 2008, 11:58:06 AM

I praised Torres. That's my unbiased comment for the day gone. Sorry. Try again tomorrow  ;)

ah well, worth a shot. cant blame me for trying anyway. and seeing as we all seem to be getting along today, I reckon Chelsea will win either the PL or CL this year. I really hope we dont play yiz in the CL - only one winner there, according to the experts  ;)