Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Sportacus on September 06, 2020, 12:37:57 PM
From an outsider, I really enjoyed watching the Tyrone club games on tv.  It's a weird one, all we here is coverage of nasty brawls in Tyrone club matches but these games were great adverts.  How your County team is so robotic and disliked is hard to understand?
Great to see lads like Donaghy and Ryan Jones in that Dungannon team, boys you'd never see otherwise.  I liked the way Donaghy missed a couple of frees and it didn't seem to bother him at all, expression never changed and then he fired one over under pressure with the outside of the boot and clips over the next few frees without a fuss.  Good sign of his mentality.
Thought the Dungannon coach did a good interview on tv afterwards as well - down to earth.  We done Tyrone club football.

It's a fair point.

However it's usually one bad incident a year with 100s of games. I sometimes think it's over emphasized. Some of that due to RTE's narrative in the noughties and people want their perception reinforced. A good example is the 2015 All Ireland U21 final. Most of the cynicism in that game was from Tipp, but it was spun to be Tyrone as the aggressors. Since then the story has stuck.

The other factor is the weather. Maybe teams get more fatigued in October and that fuse shortens. Maybe.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on September 04, 2020, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 01:39:52 PM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on September 04, 2020, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 04, 2020, 10:33:54 AM
The 2 Westies down as favorites with PP. I thought betting would be much closer. Trillick 4/5 & Coalisland 11/8. Errigal 2/9 & Dungannon 7/2.
An East Double would pay out almost 10/1.

That's very good odds.

I would give Coalisland the edge against Trillick who might have some injury worries - R Donnelly only lasted 20 minutes last week and Daire Gallagher was not fit enough to start.

Errigal also have big injury problems too.
I would definitely have Coalisland as favorites! Obviously, Errigal are favored but Dungannon should definitely be lower odds than 7/2, that game is going to be very close. They have had to grind out two Championship wins and will be coming in very confident. Dungannon also haven't been beat this year.

I think Errigal will just about prevail against Dungannon but expect it to be a tight affair. Dungannon do seem to be totally reliant on Donaghy for scores so if Errigal snuff him out then it's hard to see where the scores will come from.

I think Coalisland have a better spread of players on their team, Trillick rely heavily on the Donnellys and Brennans but again it should be another close fought encounter.

Fancy Trillick and Dungannon myself, both i think have better benches to come on but will be tight affairs, wouldn't be surprised to see another extra time in either

Wish I was a betting man

omagh_gael

Was passing Newton this afternoon and caught the last half of extra time. Some excitement and atmosphere in a great wee ground. Greencastle had the easier free to win it but it was very poorly hit, Gortin go straight up and win a free from near sideline 30m out. Serious score from Sean Og McAleer to win it.

Gortin will make life very difficult for Edendork in the final, wouldn't surprise me to see them upset the odds.

Club boi

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 05, 2020, 07:25:56 PM
O'Hagan got it wrong on the line today.

Has to take a massive amount of the blame. The lad who played the last day in nets, is he not supposed to be an actual goalkeeper?? If so you would think he would've saved that weak 1st goal. Also the kickouts were continously poor and he must have given Trillick 2 or 3 points easy

Was Mc Neice injured?? Because unless you actually lump the ball into a 6 foot + full forward he becomes redundant, thich Coalisland didnt

Trillick the much better team, Kane was outstanding but compare what Trillick got from their county men to Coalislands .......

Dungannon never say die attitude was top drawer, although Errigal were so so poor, laboured and slow. Will make for a better final

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Club boi on September 07, 2020, 09:52:36 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 05, 2020, 07:25:56 PM
O'Hagan got it wrong on the line today.

Has to take a massive amount of the blame. The lad who played the last day in nets, is he not supposed to be an actual goalkeeper?? If so you would think he would've saved that weak 1st goal. Also the kickouts were continously poor and he must have given Trillick 2 or 3 points easy

Was Mc Neice injured?? Because unless you actually lump the ball into a 6 foot + full forward he becomes redundant, thich Coalisland didnt

Trillick the much better team, Kane was outstanding but compare what Trillick got from their county men to Coalislands .......

Dungannon never say die attitude was top drawer, although Errigal were so so poor, laboured and slow. Will make for a better final
He also took off a lad who was playing relatively well for missing a free kick?? Panic stations?

GetOverTheBar

They did try a few kicks into McGahan early on but the quality was that bad it looks like it was a late call there. McGahan is much better coming into a game at the end - he caused Trillick far more bother at the end of the game last year than in the whole time he was on pitch there on Saturday. As you say, there isn't much point having him there unless you are willing to kick in the diagonals to him.

Trillick were just a slicker team, they moved Coalisland around at ease. Thought Lee Brennan had them all over the place then just dinking little balls into the lad Garrity who was claiming and laying them off, very simple but very effective. Coalisland got serious frees in that 2nd half to get them back into it, some were frees, some were easily enough bought. McKernan must have been down holding the face 3 or 4 times.

Plunkett Kane rightly getting the plaudits, I wrote Coalisland off at start of year because I said they were an ageing team. I still think I was right there but Kane obviously still has the class.

Errigal very poorly coached too. There will be an inquest up there over the next few months. They should have beat Dungannon no matter what way you look at it man on man. You have to hand it to Dungannon, they weren't to be beat. I think the corner back kicked the winner might have been the one gave away the goal too in extra time? Great story for him and Dungannon as a whole. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 07, 2020, 11:02:20 AM
They did try a few kicks into McGahan early on but the quality was that bad it looks like it was a late call there. McGahan is much better coming into a game at the end - he caused Trillick far more bother at the end of the game last year than in the whole time he was on pitch there on Saturday. As you say, there isn't much point having him there unless you are willing to kick in the diagonals to him.

Trillick were just a slicker team, they moved Coalisland around at ease. Thought Lee Brennan had them all over the place then just dinking little balls into the lad Garrity who was claiming and laying them off, very simple but very effective. Coalisland got serious frees in that 2nd half to get them back into it, some were frees, some were easily enough bought. McKernan must have been down holding the face 3 or 4 times.

Plunkett Kane rightly getting the plaudits, I wrote Coalisland off at start of year because I said they were an ageing team. I still think I was right there but Kane obviously still has the class.

Errigal very poorly coached too. There will be an inquest up there over the next few months. They should have beat Dungannon no matter what way you look at it man on man. You have to hand it to Dungannon, they weren't to be beat. I think the corner back kicked the winner might have been the one gave away the goal too in extra time? Great story for him and Dungannon as a whole.

That was his brother Kevin who gave the ball away, he had come on as a sub and he actually popped up and kicked the equaliser just before Ciaran won it with the 45.
That was never a square ball!!

themac_23

Quote from: delgany on September 06, 2020, 04:19:52 PM
Ulster GAA could run the 2019 provincial championship , mid week under lights. Only issue would be double winners in certain counties !

Wouldn't be surprised to see a club run a tournament like the St Pauls minor /Creggan u21, inviting the county champions from each county, not a massive money spinner but the way the club championships have been going and the interest this year in it it would be worth it, ive watched games from Armagh, Derry, Antrim and Tyrone this year and have enjoyed them all hopefully something can be done

Eire90

Under Lights

Quote from: Eire90 on September 07, 2020, 01:39:23 PM
is rte showing final.

RTE only show Saturday night games, unless TG4 try and pick it up.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 07, 2020, 11:02:20 AM

Seen Errigal in the semi final and final last year and then watched Saturdays game and I see no difference in their play, slow with no pace through the middle third and literally no kicking of the ball of any consequence. Last years county final performance was embarrassing I thought

Eire90

TwoUpTwoDown

The second game was vastly inferior to the first. Albeit the extra time certainly added more spice. You would have to fancy Trillick comfortably in a final. But the romantic in me would like Dungannon to get it done. Their hunger the other night was frightening, they even seemed to have a very vocal and passionate support.

I don't know what you would do with Errigal, to be fair I think they have been the worst hit by injuries. Yet for all the talk of their panel, it's just sheer numbers and not quality. The other night they lacked any bite or urgency. Surely after seeing Trillick in the final they would have been chomping at the bit for another nibble there, last year was embarrassing. I still think Errigal are a championship win from having a very successful period, but until that there will be serious head scratching in Dunmoyle.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Pearse Blue on August 25, 2020, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 24, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on August 24, 2020, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 24, 2020, 03:03:32 PM
The Rock have a chance if its a bad weekend. Dry day, Edendork will take them easy enough. Eglish look to be in the way for the whole thing, they are going rightly under the radar.
Are Eglish ready to come up again though? Very young team, with very little senior presence.. Possibly better to stay in intermediate for a while. Otherwise they will end up like Galbally & Pomeroy yoyoing up and down this past few years

They might have a very high profile return come the end of this year from what I hear....

Don't start this craic again

;)