Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The confederate flag was not all about support of slavery.

It's context which also defines meaning in the english language.
For people who smoke, do they have to refrain from saying "I'd love a fag right now" or " I'd love to give up the fags"  because people on the other side of the planet who are english deficient will take offence,  those people who only understand   "fag" to be a derogative term and are too lazy /ignorant to understand that the basis of defining meaning in the english language is context. 
If context is stripped out of understanding languge, ignorance reigns and only one extreme blinkered righteous interpretation is allowable.

Afaic the langers waving the confed flag was a twist of humour and nothing to do with white supremacy, racism or slavery.
The langers also wave  other (red and white) country flags.

Knowing that fascist Trump supporters also love to wave the confed flag  with intimidation in the face of immigrants, non-rednecks etc. doesn't alter the meaning for me in regards to the langers use of the flag.

Eamonnca1

Any Corkonian who didn't know what the flag meant before certainly knows about it now. If you keep on flying it knowing what it means then what does that say about you?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 21, 2017, 08:37:09 PM
Any Corkonian who didn't know what the flag meant before certainly knows about it now. If you keep on flying it knowing what it means then what does that say about you?

That you like the Dukes of Hazard and Willie Nelon

omaghjoe

ET
IF CMG is a nab fair enuff, I agree. but the article implies that we should go for the other guy because a bunch of idiots will likely be gunning for him.
Its the same logic with this flag
Its the same logic as you shouldnt take butter on your toast cos thats what these white power morons do.

Gotta wonder if the Brits would have been so keen on it if they still had colonies. The timing would be lead you too suspect it was about keeping the independent colonies down as much as anything.
I've a Fijian Indian friend who would take your head off if you said the indenture system wasnt slavery.

Orior

But it was never a problem until the protest in Charlottesville. It would all be forgotten next month if yous didn't keep going on about it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

For people who smoke, do they have to refrain from saying "I'd love a fag right now" or " I'd love to give up the fags"  because people on the other side of the planet who are english deficient will take offence,  those people who only understand   "fag" to be a derogative term and are too lazy /ignorant to understand that the basis of defining meaning in the english language is context. 
If context is stripped out of understanding languge, ignorance reigns and only one extreme blinkered righteous interpretation is allowable.

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2017, 08:42:13 PM

Its the same logic as you shouldnt take butter on your toast cos thats what these white power morons do.

It's actually like some posters are trying to come across as even more stupid than they already have done.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orior on August 21, 2017, 09:20:16 PM

But it was never a problem until the protest in Charlottesville. It would all be forgotten next month if yous didn't keep going on about it.

Are you serious?

Main Street

Quote from: sid waddell on August 21, 2017, 09:26:03 PM

It's actually like some posters are trying to come across as even more stupid than they already have done.
It's actually like, actually that anyone who uses "actually" and "like" together, is as dumb as fck. As dumb as a KKK bubba redneck.

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 10:17:10 PM

It's actually like, actually that anyone who uses "actually" and "like" together, is as dumb as fck. As dumb as a KKK bubba redneck.
Exhibit A: you!

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 21, 2017, 09:49:49 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 21, 2017, 09:20:16 PM

Are you serious?

He's right. Cork fans have flown that flag for 30 years without a peep.

Main Street

Quote from: sid waddell on August 21, 2017, 10:27:06 PM

Retort is not your thing Sid, it requires some imagination.
The langers have been flying the confed flag for decades and KKK nazis have been shoving the confed flag up the noses of civil rights supporters for decades, when did you start getting offended by langers flying the confed flag? Where and when did you express your indignation?
These KKK nazis have been engaged in all sorts of criminal terrorist activity, including murder, rape and arson for decades as a method of intimidation, when did the penny drop for you, the connection between Cork supporters and the activities of KKK nazis?
Did you not consider it worthy of your comment sometime in the last 30 years or so about langers  and the controversial confed flag?

stew

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 11:03:44 PM

The langers have been flying the confed flag for decades and KKK nazis have been shoving the confed flag up the noses of civil rights supporters for decades, when did you start getting offended by langers flying the confed flag? Where and when did you express your indignation?
These KKK nazis have been engaged in all sorts of criminal terrorist activity, including murder, rape and arson for decades as a method of intimidation, when did the penny drop for you, the connection between Cork supporters and the activities of KKK nazis?
Did you not consider it worthy of your comment sometime in the last 30 years or so about langers  and the controversial confed flag?

Stop it Main Street, the man is not fit to answer such questions, he is completely reactionary to his media and what they tell him, he has been offended with these flegs and statues since last Saturday after he watched his msnbc presser!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Oh, believe me, retort is very much my thing, but one doesn't have to utilise any imagination when engaging with a dullard.

Just a quick question: when, if ever, do you think the use of n word will become unacceptable, given that you so obviously believe it is acceptable today?

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on August 22, 2017, 12:34:31 AM

Oh, believe me, retort is very much my thing, but one doesn't have to utilise any imagination when engaging with a dullard.

Just a quick question: when, if ever, do you think the use of n word will become unacceptable, given that you so obviously believe it is acceptable today?

So you've no answer to his question?

Eamonnca1

Interesting piece here about how most of these confederate monuments went up during the Jim Crow era and the Civil Rights campaign:

https://www.facebook.com/MicMedia/videos/1620753744614076/