RTE Man of the match cop out

Started by The Wedger, September 08, 2008, 07:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

Giving it to the entire Kilkenny team.
Eddie Brennan with 2-4 would have been mine.
Will the bookies pay out?  ;)

orangeman

Good choice - who could have got it on their own really ?

Ok Eddie scored 2-4 but scored 2-3 of that in the 1st half - Noel Hockey was outstanding - so was Brian Hogan, Mick Kavanagh, Shefflin with some outrageous skill, Eoin Larkin -

So 10 years after Cody took over it was nice to see him getting the award.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Puckoon

So, by that rationale somewhere along the line we could see a man of the match award given to a referee or a linesman, or god forbid even an umpire?

Down Gael

I thought it was a good decision. It was a tough decision to pick one player from such a team performance. Managers only seem to make the headlines when a team gets beat, so its a nice change to see a great manager get the recognition he deserves. Well done RTE and Brian Cody.

Roashter

It was a tough decision for man of the match, but thats what the analysts are paid for.
There were some very strong contenders with Eddie Brennan, Eoin Larkin, Derek Lynge, JJ Delaney & Noel Hickey my pick of the lot.
Personally I would have given it to Brennan, but had any of the others (from entire Kilkenny team) been selected there wouldn't have been too many complaints.
It really was a cop-out from the sunday game

under the bar

What a cop-out.  *IF* a manager were to get man of the match, then it should be in a situation whereby they are up against it and several inspired substitutions turn it around and win the game.  Then the manager has had a great game.  What on earth did Brian Cody do on Sunday?  If he hadn't been there the result would ahve been no different.  Yes he deserves huge credit for his efforts and will be rewarded in due course, but the man of the match is not an appropriate way to do it, just like Eoin Larkin shouldn't get manager of the year!

That absolute cop-out by the pundits totally demeans the award.

Hoof Hearted

the manager didnt get the man of the match, he mererly accepted it on behalf of the entire TEAM. the caption said Man of the MAtch - The Kilkenny Hurling Team.
i thought it was a good idea myself
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

dodo

I think that Brian Cody getting the MOTM was very fitting. When you think back 3 years ago to Cork going for their 3 in a row, the media and everyone were on about how Cork had revolutionised hurling with their hand passing speed game. How it was near impossible to stop with Tom Kenny and Jerry O'Connor at midfield and Ben on the wing etc. Their half-back line was unplayable it was that good on their day. Cody when this Cork team were going for their bit of history rejigged Kilkenny. DJ was a spent force, Peter Barry finished up, Brian Barry opted to concentrate on his studies. He went with youth with Cha into midfield, Eoin Larkin, Aidan Fogarty and Richie Power up front and adding John Tennyson and Jackie Tyrell at the rear. He increased the workload and the intensity of training and the results were to be reaped.

How could you justify giving a man of the match last sunday when there were so many playing so well. 4 or 5 would of been worthy recipients but that was the best team performance I have ever seen. It started at Cody with his constantly freshening up his team and creating this fierce competition for places, you can go back to Charlie Carter and John Hoyne to see how this started. Nobody could guarantee their place, no wonder stars like Shefflin, Eddie Brennan and Eoin Larkin work so hard on the pitch. Cody didn't give away too much playing time to subs either last sunday, only McGarry came in to probably finish up his county days. TJ Reid came on out of Comerford being injured. No softness to be tolerated !

under the bar

Anyone do a MOTM bet in the bookies?   Did they pay-out a 15th of the quoted odds?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: under the bar on September 09, 2008, 10:43:06 AM
Anyone do a MOTM bet in the bookies?   Did they pay-out a 15th of the quoted odds?

Well according to hogan stand Ladbrokes are paying our on all bets out on a kilkenny player wished i had money on Kavanagh at 20's  :(

09 September 2008

Hurling Man of the Match Costs Bookies Eu30k - Ladbrokes pay out on all Kilkenny players

Following Sunday's ground breaking decision to award the much coveted RTE Man of the Match award to Kilkenny manager Brian Cody on behalf of the entire Kilkenny team, Ladbrokes have taken the unprecedented step of paying out in full to any customer who backed a Kilkenny player to take the award.

Unsurprisingly the pre-match favourite to collect the award was Kilkenny's talisman Henry Shefflin at 7-1 while those who backed Jackie Tyrell or Michael Kavanagh will be rewarded with a 20-1 payout.

The decision is expected to cost Ladbrokes in excess of Eu30,000.

Donal McCarthy, spokesperson for Ladbrokes, said, "Following RTE's clarification that the Man of the Match award was given to Brian Cody as a tribute to the entire Kilkenny team's efforts we thought it only fair to pay out on every Kilkenny player.  Other bookies decided that all bets were off which technically isn't correct in our view.  So if you picked out a Kilkenny player at Ladbrokes its 'winner alright!

Meanwhile Ladbrokes have priced a similar outcome for Kerry or Tyrone in the football final at 50/1.  Kerry are odds on to lift the Sam Maguire at 4/6 while some punters might find value in betting on a draw match at 15/2.

Ladbrokes GAA Betting
Football final
4-6 Kerry
13-8 Tyrone
15-2 Draw

Man of the Match Award
Entire Kerry team                       50-1     

Entire Tyrone Team                    50-1

Under 21 Hurling final betting
5-6 Kilkenny
5-6 Tipperary

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Colonel Cool

Just a bit of PR for Ladbrokes. Usually Paddy Power would have been on the ball with this one. Watch for a new option in the football final for more than one winner.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Bogball XV

i thought it should have been shefflin myself.  The worst decision in my memory was the 2005 football final where Owen Mulligan was given the award on the basis of his goal against Dublin, when Brian McGuigan (who i backed at 25/1) ran the show :'(

cornafean

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 09, 2008, 08:54:18 PM
i thought it should have been shefflin myself.  The worst decision in my memory was the 2005 football final where Owen Mulligan was given the award on the basis of his goal against Dublin, when Brian McGuigan (who i backed at 25/1) ran the show :'(

Not to mention Philip Jordan...
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.