Mercedes C
3 (6.3%)
Ford Mondeo
12 (25%)
Volvo 80
9 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Silky

My bother has been offered a company car. He has a choice of 4 and isn't sure which to go for. I always thought a Merc was the best but one of my mates says they're very easy to steal because of a poor locking/alarm system. The brother lives in Limerick so this is important!!
My mate recommends the Beamer.

What do you guys think? I know SFA about cars and the brother know less!   ???

SouthArmaghBandit

BMW 5 series. Best cars on the road no doubt about it.

Why are they offering him a Mondeo? Do they want him to leave or something? If he took a Mondeo would he get the difference in extra pay or another perk?

Candyman

Tell him to take them for one of these.... (535d Sport Tiptronic) and away to f*ck with their Mondeo!!!  ;D

Candyman

Right who voted for the volvo, come on?!?!?!?  :D
Surely its not you Louth Exile as yours wont even pass its M.O.T?!?!?! (or its southern equivalent) ;)

stephenite

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 15, 2008, 09:25:48 AM
BMW 5 series. Best cars on the road no doubt about it.

Why are they offering him a Mondeo? Do they want him to leave or something? If he took a Mondeo would he get the difference in extra pay or another perk?

Been a while since I've had to deal with this but the BIK (benefit in kind) that has to be paid on company cars in Ireland is linked to the value of the car so it might be more economical to go for the Mondeo as opposed to having to pay a big lump of tax for one of the higher range cars.
Some of our accountants can clarify this I'm sure?

gerrykeegan

Depending on mileage the following BIK applies.
15000 or less P/A 30% of Original market value
15000 - 20000 24% of omv
20001- 25000 18% of omv
25001 - 30000 12% of omv
30001 or over 6% of omv

this the basic bik deal, there are reduction for paying your insurance tax etc. Someone who does low mileage could be paying on a pricey €50K car might have to pay 500 per month in tax on it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Silky

He does big miles (25k) and says he wants to do them in comfort.

Sky Blue

Is there a reduction for servicing? I'd still go for the 5 series. Great cars to drive - far Superior to the Merc. The Mondeo is a tractor in comparison and the Volvo is just a Vauxhall/Opel with different body work.

Bensars

Better still do what i  and many others do. Opt out of the company car scheme and recieve car allowance instead. That way you can choose whatever car you want, reduce your tax liabilty for BIK and 3 years later have an asset rather than pay rent to the taxman so to speak.  

Another major drawback here is that you will be taxed on the "new Value" of the car, even when its older. A few years ago i was being taxed of the new value odf the car i had which was 27K  while the book value of the car was 9.5 K

Bud Wiser

Ask Dessie Farrell or Micko, they are high mileage men and would have a fair idea of what is most comfortable.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Rossie11

If he is a sales rep and his wages are commision based he should think about the Mondeo.

As someone that sees plenty of reps every week if a guy pulled up in a Merc or Beamer I would not be inclined buy anything from him as he gives off the impression that he has it made already and to him you are just another number instead of a valued customer...

Anyone else think the same??

blast05

Quote from: Candyman on January 15, 2008, 09:31:43 AM
Right who voted for the volvo, come on?!?!?!?  :D
Surely its not you Louth Exile as yours wont even pass its M.O.T?!?!?! (or its southern equivalent) ;)

Have you ever drove a Volvo ?

Candyman

I drove my da's around the yard a few times but as soon as im old enuff to get my licence i'll not be getting 1 thats for sure!!!  ;)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 15, 2008, 11:17:27 AM
If he is a sales rep and his wages are commision based he should think about the Mondeo.

As someone that sees plenty of reps every week if a guy pulled up in a Merc or Beamer I would not be inclined buy anything from him as he gives off the impression that he has it made already and to him you are just another number instead of a valued customer...

Anyone else think the same??

Yes, agree.  Nor would I buy anything from someone who's biggest problem is what company car to take   ::)

Tell him just to pick one and quit going on with such shite.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

rosnarun

QuoteAs someone that sees plenty of reps every week if a guy pulled up in a Merc or Beamer I would not be inclined buy anything from him as he gives off the impression that he has it made already and to him you are just another number instead of a valued customer...

what does he do that they offer a merc? i agree any one coming flogging stuff driving a merc  would look odd unless hes selling something very expensive . Not so much with the BMW

me i'd take the Mondeo and pocket the 30 grand difference
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere