Meath posters - what now for the qualifiers?

Started by agorm, June 18, 2007, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

So what should our forward line look like for the next game? Assuming Reilly is pulled towards the middle as an auxiliary midfielder. GG, Farrell, Bray, Byrne, Reilly, O'Rourke. I know the last one may seem odd, but if the management are happy to send him on at this stage of his development then why not give him a shot? He's big, fast and well able to take a score. It's either that or play with a wing back like McLoughlin as a wing forward. I'm not considering Joe or Cian Ward for a starting berth by the way as they are too immobile for 70 minutes at this level. I'd encourage Bray to basically play between full forward and centre forward, with Reilly pulled moreso towards midfield. Bray is most effective when he can roam around and exploit any space that opens up. GG and Farrell to stay in deep at all times.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thebandit on June 19, 2007, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: Declan on June 19, 2007, 04:30:50 PM
QuoteMaybe try King

Think you're right there Jinxy

He was a very good minor at CHB
so was GG - THE outstanding chb at that age for 10 years imo.

but I still mainain that Fay should have been the man for CHB, prob too old and slow now.
Was an emergency FB selection that worked very well. Could have ben 'cosmic' if played in his best postion of chb though

INDIANA

i thought fay did well last week. Midfield is meath's problem area. They need to get sherdian and ward to lose some of the pies- they jsut look heavy rather than overly slow- but they know where the posts are- i don't you'll win naything without at least one of them up front. ward is inexperienced and griffin has cleaned out a few in his time - but sheridan is an enigma -talent to burn but seems to carry excess weight. i don't know why meath didn't put high ball into him in the first half last week because playing the channels isn't going to suit him.

thejuice

I think Meath players and fans should be optimistic going into the qualifiers, I think a Q/Final is easily within reach and we can achieve it with the right attitude.

I think Cian Ward deserves a bit more time on field, Joe Sheriden just seems very slow, the only thing would be for us to kick high ball into him, but if he cant win that, then whats he good for?

Farrell is a definate starter.

Not sure if Moyles would be big enough for midfield. I'd rather have to taller, stronger lads there.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Moyles is a very good midfielder. The day of having 2 giants centrefield is gone anyway. Look at Dublin, Ryan is going to be Whelans partner for the rest of the year. The only time I've seen Crawford and Ward play well together against quality opposition was last year against Laois when they won everything around the middle. Moyles is a very good fielder too. That said, he is also our best centre-back so it's probably a moot point anyway.

Deal_Me_In

What age is Fay? He is probably produced the best FB displays in the championship to date. Is he going to be around for another couple of years or do meath have options to replace him?

thejuice

Away Vs Down. This ill be a tricky one. The biggest thing is to get the lads believing in the qualifiier route and get them motivated for this one.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If the players have the right attitude I'd be confident going up to Newry for this game.

stew

I tell you what now for the qualifiers, youse uns are going to beat ten shades of shite out of Down, thats what next for meath in the qualifiers.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.