Meath posters - what now for the qualifiers?

Started by agorm, June 18, 2007, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

I believe that we need to approach the qualifiers with one eye on next years Leinster Championship. We have precious little chance of lifting Sam this year and need to make changes in the areas that we have been exposed in during the games against Kildare and Dublin. There is no point in playing safe in the qualifiers.

The following is some of the things I would do.

1. Leave Sheridan off – perhaps use him as a sub.
2. Give Cian Ward a longer run in the team.
3. Play Shane O' Rourke at CHF
4. Try Charles McCarthy and Donegan out at midfield along with Ward.
5. Bring in Shane McKeigue if fit into panel.

Any other suggestions?

Hardy

I agree with all of that, agorm, though I'm not ready yet to dispose of Big Joe. But we have to do something to harness his talent properly. I can't think what, though.

The only thing I'd add is a question - where's Daithi Regan?

And please, please don't let it be Clones. The nearest it can be for me is Limerick. I'd settle for that.

Uladh

Sheridan doesn't look to be in good enough condition for 70+ minutes of championship football. with talented guys in that shape its usually better to take them on when the game has loosened up. i'm disappointed with sheridan's progress because he was really exciting when he first broke onto the team.

do you lads think you are making best use of o'reilly?

Hardy

Uladh - I'm not in favour of playing Reilly at No. 11. He's not there to be a CHF and he does a reasonable job as a third midfielder, though a lot of the time he seems confused about his role and pops up as an orthodox half-forward. Also, in the first Dublin Game he was effectively marking Brian Cullen and removed him from the game as an influence - not yesterday, though.

I believe in the third centre-fielder idea and I like the idea of Reilly in the job – it gives us a good big central spine and he's a very good footballer. But every team needs a CHF. You don't deploy the CHF as a third midfielder – you name him at 10, 12, 13 or 15 and play a real CHF at no. 11.

agorm

Coyle is quoted as saying that we will give the qualifiers a real go. He really has some serious thinking to do before picking his team for the first game. I dont see any point in getting an easy game but I would prefer to avoid Armagh, Donegal and Mayo. Down, Roscommon, Cavan, Fermanagh, Louth and Offaly (assuming the dubs win) would be a strong but realistic challenge for Meath at this stage. It would allow Coyle to make changes and have them tested against similar enough opposition  and still be hopeful of winning. If we are playing one of the top teams we would have to play safe and against some of the poorer teams we will learn very little anyway.

Jinxy

I'm firmly of the opinion we need to draw a marquee team first off in the qualifiers. The likes of Donegal, Armagh, Mayo etc. A lot of lads who had bad games the last day will have a point to prove in the next game. It doesn't do us any good if they go out and prove that point against a so-called weaker team. We need to generate momentum from the first game. A big game against a genuine contender is what I'm hoping for.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

I see your point. My thoughts are that we could use the first game to tweak the team a bit and hopefully win which could help build the confidence. By playing a mid-range team (Roscommon, Down, Cavan etc.) we would be guaranteed a tough game but hopefully improve the team and build confidence if we won.

lynchbhoy

surprised at meath this year.
Irrespective on how good/bad dub are, there is talent to work with in that meath side that I didnt think existed.

There are the two killer scoring forwards in Bray and Farrell. I'd leave/start Geraghty in at FF and tell him to go out the field into the hf or mf areas every so often! (creatin space for the other two lads inside.
He is still very fit and a natural athlete and could last another year at least!

I like ward as a mf, but have never been convinced with crawford.
The def is not bad, but I think coyle is dong a fantasic job and deserves a lot of credit. The qualifiers will be interesting for meath alright!

Jinxy

Just on Geraghty, I had a few Dubs tell me after Sunday that he hadn't the legs for championship football anymore!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 19, 2007, 02:13:12 PM
Just on Geraghty, I had a few Dubs tell me after Sunday that he hadn't the legs for championship football anymore!
hes a fast and agile now as he was 10 years ago.
Cant believe dubs lef thatsmall chap henry on him. If meath had kicked more into GG, there were goals to be had

thebandit

Looking in from the outside, I think that Reilly is wasted at CHF/3rd Midfielder. He done all his best work in defensive areas on Sunday.

Sheridan and Ward, while undoubtedly talented, need to lay off the snack boxes from Enzo's :D

Crawford is unconvincing at MF, and Reilly or Moyles (with the other at CHB) would be a better option

Jinxy

I'd love to see Moyles at midfield as he brings great drive to the mix but the question is do we have a centre back to replace him? I don't know about playing Reilly there as he is a bit ponderous. Maybe try King and have Kenny and McGabhann either side? Unless we get a favourable draw I don't think we can afford to experiment too much in the qualifiers.

Declan

QuoteMaybe try King

Think you're right there Jinxy

thebandit

Quote from: Declan on June 19, 2007, 04:30:50 PM
QuoteMaybe try King

Think you're right there Jinxy

He was a very good minor at CHB

Hardy

I wouldn't dream of messing with CHB, now that we've finally sorted it after 6 years. Moyles is the only option there. He's a great midfielder too, but we can't re-open the hole at CHB just after we've filled it. I'd be inclined to try alternatives to Crawford - maybe Charles (though I'm not up to date with his form or how he's going in training). Is Niall Kelly gone from favour altogether? Reilly and Ward as the other two midfielders. I'd name Reilly as a wing forward, though and play a proper forward as an orthodox CHF – Geraghty perhaps.