Uibh Fhaili v Ath Cliath

Started by AZOffaly, June 18, 2007, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Well lads,

I suppose we might as well start a thread for this game, even though it is simply a stepping stone on the Dubs relentless march towards greatness, or another August collapse, but in any case I can't see too many people thinking Offaly can trouble the Dubs.

On the face of it, you would have to agree with them, but there are a couple of things which may give pause for thought, even though the prediction may be the same.

1) Offaly may be better this year than last. Despite getting relegated to the new Div 4, ( a disgrace by the way) the Offaly team as set out against Carlow looked a good bit better balanced than last year's model. The Full back line is a serious doubt in my mind, but the Half Backs and Half forwards are better, or at least better on paper. Alan McNamee has another fielder at midfield with him, albeit a young and raw one, but that may give him a chance of some parity in that sector. The Full Forward line, with a pure Full Forward type in PJ Ward, also looked fairly solid against bad opposition, so it will be interesting to see if Nialler, Ward and Thommo will do the business against an improving Dublin full back line.

2) Offaly were closer than people think in hindsight last year. Until Alan McNamee got sent off and the goal shortly afterwards, they were still within touching distance. It was always on the cards that the Dubs would pull away, but a few bad Offaly wides when Dublin were vulnerable let them off the hook, and the red card and goal sealed the deal.

3) Dublin will give you a chance. Whether it is mental attitude, brittleness or whatever, Dublin always seem to give a sucker an even break. They find it very hard to really kill teams off, and you nearly always have a chance to claw them back, and maybe even go ahead. If you fail to get ahead of them, they then seem to let out a collective sigh of relief, and kick on to beat you going away, but if you do go ahead, they can be beaten. If Brian Farrell hadn't kicked the equalising chance badly wide yesterday, I don't think Dublin would have pulled away. It was like a weight off their shoulders when he did so.

4) Freetaking. Dublin have perfectly competent freetakers, such as Mossy Quinn, Vaughan and Keaney, but they are notoriously hot and cold, perhaps excepting Keaney. If both Quinn and Vaughan have off days, it's a big boost for the opposition.

All in all Dublin, on paper, should be too good for Offaly. Their movement and fitness when in full flow is a joy to behold, and if they keep it up for 70 minutes, Offaly would be lucky to keep it to single digits. However..... The devil is in the detail. It's a big IF for Dublin to keep it up for 70, and (here comes another one) IF Offaly keep in touch, within 2,3 or 4 points, and take the chances that will come their way at that stage in the second half, about 55 -65 minutes when the Dubs tend to hit a speed wobble, Offaly can do it.

We travel more in hope than expectaion. And we know it will take a poor enough Dublin performance and a very good Offaly one, but we will go, and we will try. We are the Faithful.

Uibh Fhailí Abú

2)

Dinny Breen

Jaysu AZ, after reading that you almost had me convinced you have a chance. Dublin will be a lot sharper but if they give away the goal chances like they did against Meath Offaly have the forwards that take their goals and that should make it an interesting game, still expect Dublin to win by 4 - 6 points...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I nearly have myself talked into it as well :D Nearly....

One thing we need to do, and I'm not sure if we can, is stop conceding goals. We let in 3 against Carlow, 4 against Roscommon and 2 against Our Lady of Mercy Convent for the Blind second XV.

Conal Keaney, Alan Brogan, Jayo  and Vaughan or Quinn could do awful damage to the auld onion bag.

There's still a chance though :D

Declan

QuoteDublin will give you a chance

You're right there AZ. Still think we should win by a couple though

AZOffaly

I'd say the Handicap will be about Offaly +5 or +6, and that would be the logical assumption I think. But we don't do logic in Offaly.

Kerry Mike

QuoteBut we don't do logic in Offaly

And ye Biffos have a habit of not bowing down to teams on the verge of greatness  >:(
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

DUBSFORSAM1

So what will the Dublin team for next day be? On the basis of reports of Cullen/Henry being doubts this is the team I would expect to be picked...

Cluxton

Shaughnessy McConnell Griffen
Casey Cahill Brennan
Ryan Whelan
Moran Sherlock Brogan
Quinn Keaney Vaughan

I doubt he will move Moran back to half backs...
Its a toss-up between Quinn/Connolly/Cosgrove then for the last place but think he will pick Quinn for his greater goal threat and Offaly do leak a lot of goals and just in case Vaughan's radar doesn't work....

Not ideal to have injuries but probably would be the best match for us to have them as it gives Brennan/Shaughnessy gametime in a match we should still win...

INDIANA

if offaly had a full back line- it would be an excellent contest. Offaly are potentially a div 1 outfit- but there full back line is awful despite having outstanding forwards. Dublin by 6-7 points and to score 3-4 goals. dublin backs will have their hands full though

AZOffaly

That's our problem Indiana alright. Our Full back line and goalie are way too susceptible to conceding goals. Also the running power of the Dubs will cause us problems. If we did manage to keep a clean sheet, or only concede 1 goal (depending on the timing of it) then we might give it a rattle. If the Dubs score 2 or 3 (or 4) goals, then we'll be doing well to keep it to single figures.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 18, 2007, 11:31:35 AM
And ye Biffos have a habit of not bowing down to teams on the verge of greatness  >:(

Mike, do you think we are on the verge of greatness?  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 18, 2007, 11:58:30 AM
So what will the Dublin team for next day be? On the basis of reports of Cullen/Henry being doubts this is the team I would expect to be picked...

Cluxton

Shaughnessy McConnell Griffen
Casey Cahill Brennan
Ryan Whelan
Moran Sherlock Brogan
Quinn Keaney Vaughan

I doubt he will move Moran back to half backs...
Its a toss-up between Quinn/Connolly/Cosgrove then for the last place but think he will pick Quinn for his greater goal threat and Offaly do leak a lot of goals and just in case Vaughan's radar doesn't work....

Not ideal to have injuries but probably would be the best match for us to have them as it gives Brennan/Shaughnessy gametime in a match we should still win...
I dont think he likes Shaughnessy , he barely got a look in during the league
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Kerry Mike

QuoteMike, do you think we are on the verge of greatness
?

Shure youse are great already. And with respect to the other 3 teams left, Dublin should piss through what is left in Leinster. A very handy provincial title for the Jackeens. I hope I'm wrong but can't see any other outcome.

As for the All Ireland its just a matter of winning 5 more games from now till Sept and greatness wil surely be bestowed upon the blue clad Jackeen from the Pale.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

DUBSFORSAM1

GNevin

You could be right but I would rather think that it was more to do with providing a solid corner back pairing with Henry/Griffen beside McConnell/O'Shea as the corner backs and also with Brennan/Moran playing in the half backs....

Gnevin

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 18, 2007, 02:06:09 PM
GNevin

You could be right but I would rather think that it was more to do with providing a solid corner back pairing with Henry/Griffen beside McConnell/O'Shea as the corner backs and also with Brennan/Moran playing in the half backs....
I hope that's all it is cause he is some talent bar Vaughan he is the best player on bench during the league
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

himself and caffrey had a disagreement in january. You won't see o shaughnessy playing as long as caffrey is there.