USFC Semi Final - Doire v Muineacháin

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 12, 2007, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Might as well get this kicked off. Any word of a venue?

Oak Leafer

Can't see it being anywhere else other than Clones. After all the Ulster council wouldn't want poor wee Monaghan to be travellin too far!
As for the game itself, too close to call at the min. Will have to see if Derry can get all missin players back. With McGuckin and P Bradley i'd be confident but McGuckin would appear to be very doubtful at present.
Eoin Bradley would be a great addition but it appears hes gonna get a 2 month suspension. Its a long time since Derry had such a weak FB line.
I fear Monaghan also, purely down to the fact that they have always troubled Derry. When was their last meeting in Ulster?? Have they played since 97?

oakleaf stateside

they played 2 year ago in the first round pb scored 1:10
Dont Do It

Oak Leafer

Jez how did i forget! Was at the match too!

FarneyMan

Paddy Bradley destroyed us that day, scored 1-10 from a total of 1-17, beat us on his own and is more than capable of doing the same again !!  Monaghans defence will have to improve considerably from the Down game, but we've got a chance and i think it'll be a cracking match !
Any word on venue yet, think the ulster council met last night to make a decision ?

Mid Mon

FarneyMan

Sh1te !  Hate casement as a venue, really lacks an atmosphere, plus i cant ever remember seeing Monaghan win there...........

Black and white

as a derry man i would be worried about this match.  i know Derry can win, but i wouldnt put money on any Derry team, esp this one.  Glad to hear it is in casement, think it is a great venue and Derry do alright there.

Will beinterested to see how P Finlay gets on against Fergal Doc and James Conway, Finaly is a sublime footballer but i think he is more a half forward and may struggle against 2 big men.  Big Benny is an honest worker, but a bit to naive at this level for the time being. Derry to boss the midfield.

I think the Monaghan forwards will give Derry a hard time, Freeman, Hannarty and Gollogly are fine forwards,  but i am hoping it is by controlling possession and getting enough ball to bradly, gilligan, lynch and muldoon we can get through, just about.

armaghniac

QuoteConfirmation of venue. Casement park.

Healy Park might have had the capacity for this one.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

I had this on another thread but it's probably best for here. It is my best possible Derry team for the Championship. WHile I know it is not the team we will have out for Monaghan I would hope that this would be the team that will line out for us at some stage...

Gillis - Hasn't done anything to suggest he shouldn't start.
McGuckin - Will he be available for the next match? I hope so because we are struggling here. If not I think McEldowney should get a run out here the next day as McGoldrick had a shocker last week and its probably a bit too early for him at this stage to make the step up.
McCloy - Commanding on the edge of the square but will struggle with pace if McGuckin and Lockhart aren't around.
Lockhart - Has to be in here to do a man to man job on Freeman.
GO'K - The man is a half back... end of.
Patsy Bradley - Has the presence and the strength, distribution may be a problem but I think he's worth a go.
McKeever - Not sure about him yet but he is a good ball carrier and I've heard good things about him.
Doc & Conway - Blossoming into a great partnership... who'd have thought it when these 2 were minors!!!
Lynch - Good long range scorer and hasn't the pace for the inside, also an option for kickouts as well, he has to be played here.
Gilligan - Great distributor and playmaker, usually a reliable long range point taker as well. Let's hope his 2nd half form from the Antrim game stays.
Diver - A tower of strength against Antrim, he was immense and hopefully does the same against Monaghan.
P Bradley - (Remember this is an 'ideal' team) No question
Muldoon - When fit he's a class act!
E Bradley - Given his recent form for Glenullin he has to be getting a game I just hope that whatever is going on between him and Cr
ozier can get resolved. Any word of his suspension yet?

I know that there is a strong possibility that McGuckin and the 2 Bradleys will be unavailable but I think that the team I've named above is without question the best we could put out and I hope we can see it in the c'ship this year becasue it is a team that would be very difficult to beat! If we don't have the 3 lads I would go with McEldowney in CB and Collie Devlin CF. To be honest I am actually at a loss as to who we should put in the other corner... we don't have anyone else good enough!

thebandit

Can anyone see changes in the Monaghan team?

Flanagan and Dick may find it tight to start

leamtaighabu

if the game is fixed for casement then that should be good for derry...its a good venue an having just played there then its all ++ points..
memories of the 93 USFC semi when Brolly an McCormick came on to turn the game in Derrys favour will spring to mind....

aontroim

Email from Ulster Council

QuoteA Chara,

At a meeting last night, Tuesday 12th June, the Competitions Controls Committee of Comhairle Uladh confirmed that the Ulster Minor and Senior Football Championship Semi-Finals between Derry and Monaghan will take place at Casement Park Belfast on Sunday 24th June.  The games will commence at 1.45pm and 3.30pm respectively.

It was also confirmed that the Ulster Minor and Senior Football Championship Finals will take place in St Tiernach's Park Clones on Sunday 15th July. 

Is mise le meas,

Michael O hOsáin
OCP
Comhairle Uladh

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: thebandit on June 13, 2007, 02:36:42 PM
Can anyone see changes in the Monaghan team?

Flanagan and Dick may find it tight to start

It's hard to see Banty startin with too many personnel changes. If he starts with Benny again in MF then the team wiil be the same as the starting XV against Down. Benny has a great physical presence and might be a good option to compete in MF as it'll be very tough in there with Fergal Doc and Wilson. Our FB line still looks shakey and I thought Vinney was particularly quiet the last day, I can't see him being as quiet again Derry. Dick didn't do anything wrong the last day out and just seemed to fade out of the game.

So, I'd be happy enough to start with the same team and bring on JP, Rory etc as subs as they gave the team the necessary lift against Down at the right time when it was basically frees that was keepin Monaghan in the game. The Monaghan lads are in as good as shape as I've seen any Monaghan team and covered a serious amount of ground against Down in extreme conditions. It was great to see them chasing every ball and I was impressed by the distribution of daigonal ball into the forwards.

It should be a close game I reckon, Monaghan will be up for it big time and will tryin to put wins back to back. It'll not be simple however and there's 'wan' or two men on the Derry team that could do alot of harm.

fer fox ache

Assuming that Kevin McG and Paddy are sidelined through injury here's miy side fpor the next day

Gillis

Francie twin, McCloy,

Cathal McKeever

Paul Cartin, Sean Marty, Joe Keenan

Diver, Doc, Conway

Gavin Donaghy, Gilligan, Gerard O'Kane

Lynch, Muldoon

Lack of pace at wing-forward was a real problem last time and I think Donaghy and O'Kane can remedy this. I reckon Barry McGolddrick would be best used a sub coming on at the dge of the square as he can take a high ball and score off either foot last the pace for the flanks.
Mickey McGoldrick got a bit of roasting and I thought Keeenan was unlucky to miss out last time anyway.