Roscommon V Sligo CSFC

Started by SLIGONIAN, June 05, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossie11

Sligo wont get a better chance of beating Ross than this year. I feel they are 2 similar sides with a few players of genuine class on either side but mostly average players. They both huffed and puffed though the league campaigns, mixing the good with the bad.

A line of form through Meath would put nothing between the sides as both lost heavily.

Based on Cavans form in the championship I would scratch our performance in league semi against them. Yes we looked impressive but they are a very poor side and the open spacers of croker suited the likes of Cregg and Heneghan.

I cant get away from the 2nd half performance in the league v Leitrim. What a shambles. Leaderless and clueless on the pitch and the sideline. If Sligo put it up to us in physical stakes (ala Leitrim) I would fear if things start to creak under pressure who do we look to for leadership.. By in large we have a young inexperienced team. Thats my biggest fear.
Sligo to win.. maybe after a replay

SLIGONIAN

Ive got be honest I will be very disappointed if we lose. Rossie fair observation on the meath results benchmark. Our full back line is top class. Harrison, mcguire and donovan are excellent defenders and great on the ball. J davey mcnamara and mcgovern are good but I think mcnamara will be exposed against ros in a defending capacity. O hara and Quinn in midfield. I expect o hara to hold his own and quinn to lose his individual battle with oneill or mannion.. Hf line Brehony will start chf and expect a decent game from himself. Curran will win lots of possesion and defend fiercly but wont add much in a attacking sense. I expect Sean Davey to start at 12 and play same as against wicklow and he'll do fine. FF line kelly to win lots of possession and only score if close in.  ff Gallagher to start to come as fourth hf. God help us if he starts McGowan,, Id start either marren or sweeney.

I fairly confident of a win. My main concerns are team selection and tactics. In 2002 forde lost us a connaught title. He had the NY LEITRIM game to get right team on the field and it took till 20 mins to go against Galway to cop on. I knew and most Sligofans did that he messed up. This yr playing Quinn, gallagher and mcgowan wil  be exposed now championship time is on. Why hasnt McGarty got a run? Id start Doohan midfield if fit with ohara. Id start sweeny corner f and if off day bring on marren. Make quick changes. Id put mcnamara up front and bring in J Martyn in. Martyn is better defender than phillips and just as good on ball and played way more competitive football in last few yrs. We need to be quick on the line to make changes. Simple, the players are there so I will blame the management if we lose....
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

QuoteI expect o hara to hold his own and quinn to lose his individual battle with oneill or mannion

QuoteThis yr playing Quinn, gallagher and mcgowan

Quit your slabbering, I've had just about enough of it from you on this. You weren't in New York and obviously didn't hear too much about the recent game against Wexford. Make inquiries about the Sligo/Wexford challenge game and find out who was one of the best players on the field. You are continuing this line of attack on one of our players with no evidence. I suggest you button it.

baoithe

Seanie can you fill me in on some of Sligo's recent challenge games? Nonetheless, I don't need to know how well Quinn did in these games to know that he is an addition to the county team. To be honest, I was worried that coming back after a year out would lessen Quinns impact on the championship this year. I had counted on him returning to top form next season.
I'm still not convinced about McNamara. I do not think he is the footballer he is made out to be. As far as I know he and McGarty played against Farnans recently and a young lad - albeit a talented one - absolutely cleaned them. I say 'As far as I know' because I wasn't at the game and heard this from one of the lads at home but you know how performances can be exaggerated.
Anyway, could anyone fill me in on recent challenge games?

SLIGONIAN

Slabbering wish I knew what that meant but I can guess. Where I am I attacking Quinn? You are shockingly defensive of him and I can say what I want especially when I believe it to be true.  I dont say that to anyone who I disagree with. What evidence? Tape of any league game. Do you think he is as good as a fit Doohan or Taylor? If Quinn has a bad game in hyde would you admit it to yourself even. I doubt it.  My main questioned is answered in the fact that you ignore the so called ATTACK on mcgowan and gallagher used in the same sentence. So take a chill pill on this.

I couldnt care less about challenge games. People read way to much into them. I'll judge every player and Sligo on competitive football. We beat a full Donegal side in oxfield 2 yrs ago by 4pts in cracking game. 2 weeks later we lost tamely to Leitrim by 5 pts in CSFC.

Do you agree with any of my points or to just pick the points you disagree with and analyse them. How did mcnamara look against NY albeit there useless? Will Mcgowan start after NY and what do you think gallaghers role? Your thoughts please? ;)

Mano

QuoteThis yr playing Quinn, gallagher and mcgowan wil  be exposed now championship time is on

I would have to agree with Seanie on this one. Quinn had been slow to return to county standard after his few years out. But there were encouraging signs that he was starting to return to form in latter stages of league. There is a world of difference between club and county and i think Sligoian you should take account of this when criticising lads who have taken a few years out for whatever reason.

McGowan despite been a club mate-i would be amazed to see him start. Surely Marren or Sweeney will get in ahead of him

SLIGONIAN

No worries Mano I dont need anyone to agree with me re MY Concerns for the Ross game team selection. I respect yer opinions. ;)

We will all be much the wiser come Sunday 17th June. I will observe every player impartially. 

Thrown in 3.30 in Hyde....tickets on sale next Tuesday 12th. 30,25 and 20 euro cost.

oakleaf stateside

if sligo kick as many wides as they did in new york they r in trouble
Dont Do It

Teeling Gael

In essence I see Sligo's main problems are in the forward line. Most Counties have bigger minor full forward lines than Kelly , Gallagher and Mc Gowan and we certainly will not beat Roscommon with that line. In all likelihood , Mc Gowan will be replaced by Marren or Sweeney both of whom have also flattered to deceive at intercounty football with one good performance followed by 2/3 average ones. Curran is a worker and isn't on the team to score so that leaves Brehony and Davey. Davey as we all know is gloriously inconsistent and I worry that we are so reliant on him. Despite the rave reviews he is getting on the wing , the team is better balanced when he is full forward and I can't get Noel O Leary out of my head when thinking of Davey as a wing forward. Brehony has improved dramcatically as an intercounty player since his introduction in 01/02 but tends to struggle in the Connaught Championship. We need a massive performance from him. Mc Partland in my mind should be at 12 with Davey full forward. Mc partland shouldn't be full forward as he doesn't have the game for it at this level but he has the bulk , experience and point scoring ability in the half forward line. Doohan hasn't played enough football to be considered at midfield and with O Hara would be too small a partnership at this level. Quinn easily gets my vote as well. Think Martyn or a reputably flying Phillips would be better options at 6 than Mc Namara but apart from that cant over argue with the backs that played in NY. In fairness in Doohan , Martyn , Phillips and also in O neill we have decent cover in the half back . Worry slightly that the bulk of Mannion and Heneghan will cause our full back line some difficulties ala M Meehan last year but they will be very competitive on low ball. Finally we shouldn't understate the loss of B Egan if as a Mano suggests he isn't fully fit.Despite an average league presumably down to injuries he is one of our best players.

Rossfan

Just a reminder  - We are All Ireland Champions
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Anyway this game could go either way as both teams have been inconsistent at best in recent times.
Both will feel they can win and that its their best chance for many a day of making a Connacht final.
I think we'll be in for a thriller - maybe the football wont be great- and wouldnt rule out a trip to Markievicz for a replay.
However apart from local bragging rights in border areas and the right to be considered Connacht second division's best this game wont have much affect on the race for Sam.
Hopefully a decent crowd will turn up and anyone(from Ros or Sligo) who misses this game to sit at home watching other teams on TV should be shot.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Good points Teeling Gael... why do you think Brehony changed McNamara to CHB when well already have alot of good players and cover there ???? Especially when McNamara played 2yrs ago is impressive in the forward line and we have a lack of scoring power.

I am worried though about Gallagher and McGowan starting. Big mistake in my opinion.. I find hard to understand when you have the likes of Phillips, Martyn, Doohan, McGarty, Sweeney and marren on bench and these guys starting. I know its not a straight swap.

Re Quinn yes he has to start in my opinion and my criticism of him earlier is merely and observation of the fact if Taylor and doohan were fit no man in Sligo would have him ahead of them. And no way is he as good as Oneill or mannion for Ros so thus my assumption is that he may lose his individual battle. But he is the best of whats left. He is a spoiler in the fact Ive never seem him catch clean ball he always tends to fist so he will distrupt the Ros guys. We need curran on his game to win breaking ball. That is a lottery though 8). I can see Seanie tearing his hair out now on this one. Sligonian attacking Quinn AGAIN.  :o

sligoman2

When will the team be announced.

I share you concerns about lack of size in the ff line.  I would expect marren, gallagher and kelly to start.  I hope Brehony has a short fuse though when it comes to making changes if needed....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Onlooker

As a neutral I feel that Sligo have a real chance of bringing off what most would see as a surprise win.  As regards the statement by Rossfan that they are All Ireland Champions, I thought the last time Roscommon won the Sam Maguire was in 1944!!!.

magpie seanie

Teeling - 100% in agreement and whats more I think that's the team that will be picked too. There are a couple of boys who are unlucky to not get in there which is a good thing as I expect if this weather keeps up it will be a 20 man game. I'm getting pretty excited about it now. Think we have a good chance. I hope we don't do our usual falling behind and come racing back in the second half. The heart is not able for many more of those. Last 2 ties between these two in the Hyde ended in draws with Ros taking the replays narrowly both times. There shouldn't be much in it again.