Roscommon V Sligo CSFC

Started by SLIGONIAN, June 05, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Well lads..Big one for us. Can we do it? I put my money where my mouth and backed Sligo at 5/2. I think we can do it. Who will start? What kinda support from Sligo will be there? I always get excited at this time of year.. Come on the black and white. Sligo to win by 2pts my prediction.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

I think we can do but Ross will be hard beaten on their own turf. I would be much more confident if it was in our place as there haven't been many away victories in the championship so far.
As regards the team Egan is a non starter. He is back running but the best he can hope for is a place on the bench. Haven't heard if there are any further injuries in the camp. I have heard there have been encouraging results in challenge matches but they can sometimes give a false picture of a teams wellbeing.
I also think we need a fine day weather wise to be in contention. Ross are a big physical team whereas we would be more mobile and faster around the field. I wonder will Ross narrow the pitch like they did the last time the 2 teams met in the Hyde. ;)

SLIGONIAN

Good points mano. I disagree on there own turf one. We drew last 2 times there and lost last 2 at home. I have to say on paper we have better team especially the depth in the subs. My main worry though is the wrong team will be picked, if I see mcgowan starting again i be annoyed. He was v poor against wicklow and sweeney came and played great on same corner back. Defence is solid but I worry about mcnamara at cb. SEANIE what was he like against NY. but opposition were poor. It seems philips is ahead of martyn in coming on pecking order. I believe this to be an error. Phillips is not tight enough defender but is good on the ball. We conceded alot of goals in league and mainly half backs defending was the cause. There is no doubt they are great on the ball. Sean Davey has to perform but is wild inconsistent.

More than anyother game this game is more on the day than ever before. so many inconsistencies going into it and players blowing hot and cold. I just hope our players picked up alot of good habits since league and can keep it going. I only heard of carlow challenge game but never read into them.

A fine day weather wise will help us no doubt. A GOOD HONEST REFEREE TOO.

magpie seanie

Hard to asses it really. We are a hard working and physical enough team despite not being the biggest. We have a dearth of scoring forwards and have to rely on solid defending and workrate. My main problem in judging this game is I really haven't a clue about Roscommon except that I know they are no world beaters. Therefore you'd feel they are beatable. No doubt it will be 70+ minutes of heart attacks, headaches etc. I'll be in delicate shape after flying back from a stag in Manchester too. Still, it will all be worth it if we sneak a result out of it.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Msgr. Horan

Much as it pains me to say it, Rossies by 4 or 5 and I honestly think they'll rattle Galway (I didnt say beat mind you) in the final.

OirthearMhaigheo

would have to agree with you Msgr, Ross look the better team on paper and had a much better league where they ended up losing to what now looks like a decent Meath team. I think if Ross do win they'll really put it up to Galway but that's for another day!

Ryano

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2007, 04:16:03 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 05, 2007, 01:49:25 PM
I. Ross are a big physical team ....

EHHHH :o :o :o
Since when?

Bit puzzled by that one too RossFan. O'Neill and Finneran in the middle are both 6'2 and maybe Mannion but who else is "big and physical"? Claffey is 5'10 in goals, Seanie Mac and whoever starts in the other corner are 5'5 on a good day, McDermott or Casey depending on who starts are 6 exactly at FB. The two wing backs Dooner, Daly or Purcell again depending on who starts are around the 5'5ish mark again. Nolan (WG) is 5'10 in the middle of them. As for the forwards if Mannion starts he is the only one over 6 foot. Cregg, Heneghan, Cox, Tiernan and Kenny are all shy of 6 foot. Not exactly Meath mark II are we in the physical department!   

As for the game well it depends on which Roscommon turn up. If the team that ran circles around Cavan turn up then we will win with ease. Sligo had an ok league campaign like ourselves and no more then ourselves are no world beaters. However if its a repeat of the Meath debacle then Sligo have every chance of winning it with ease. We are extremely fit as you would expect from a John Maughan team so running out of steam will not be a worry. Shaq and Finneran need to get on top of midfield and O'Hara needs to be stopped from running up the pitch and setting up attacks or indeed dominating midfield. We need big performances from Cregg, Kenny, Cox and Heneghan too. If these 4 can get on top of their markers then they will do serious damage. They are a good mix of small, fast forwards like Cregger and Heneghan with Kenny and Mannion for the hard graft. Claffey in goals has been a cause of concern in recent games and the McDermott at FB has had some dodgy games, such as the Leitrim match. I think they will come back from Portugal raring to go.

A fully fit Roscommon, bad and all as we are at times, should still be enough to win by a few points. Fingers crossed all the same as Sligo have a good record in the Hyde against us.

SLIGONIAN

All Ireland Champions 2006 did you forget to put minor in there or is it just me and yee actually do think yee won the senior.

Ross by 4 or 5pts is expected in Mayo and Galway so. Misplaced that prediction is having seen Ros they arent great. Meath played really well against us but played poor and still won by a good margin in div 2 final. Ross are alot poorer since 2004 and we have improved so I am expcting a Sligo win. I can guarntee this though we will suprise a few people even ourselves this yr and in good way. I reckon Mayo, Galway ross know very little about us except for our main players.

Mano

Physicality is'nt all about height-Kenny, Mannion, Heneghan-There isn't many bigger full forward lines around. I reckon ye spared a few inches on your giants in midfield.

magpie seanie

The league doesn't matter all that much as the championship so far has proven.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the "big physical team" comment there's no way you have 4 backs that are only 5 foot 5 - surely. 5'5 is really small.

Redgreenery

For some I reckon Sligo will win this one, because I dont think Roscommon are quiet as good as them at this point in time, Ros dont have the players.

Ryano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2007, 05:34:54 PM
All Ireland Champions 2006 did you forget to put minor in there or is it just me and yee actually do think yee won the senior.

What????????? Who mentioned the minors here? I think its actually just you, we know full well where we are in the pecking order at senior level. Do i detect some bitterness on your behalf about last years AI win, sorry last years AI MINOR win? Get over it already huh. It was 50 odd years since we won a minor title and 60+ since a senior. We are well entitled to enjoy it because it will probably be another 50/60 years until we win another one. 

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2007, 05:34:54 PM
Misplaced that prediction is having seen Ros they arent great.

Are you some sort of yeats county Yoda of wha? "Misplaced that prediction is young skywalker......."

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2007, 06:21:19 PM
Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the "big physical team" comment there's no way you have 4 backs that are only 5 foot 5 - surely. 5'5 is really small.

You obviously have not seen Robbie Kelly in the flesh so..... paint him orange and you have an oompa loompa! 5'5 ish i said. Sure you will get a few of them who are + an inch or two but they could be a hell of a lot taller! I only wish they could be called a big physical team..

SLIGONIAN

Thanks Ryano for clarifying that. I was just wondering, I been hearing yee are the All Ireland Champions but Its a first that a Rossie has actually me told of what. Thought yee might of forgot that Kerry are the All Ireland champions and ye are the minor. Why do Rossies seem leave out the word Minor all the time. ::) Gentle reminder of the facts no bitterness. In fact I got to my first All Ireland final last from a ticket from a Rossie mate. Definitly wouldnt begrudge yee an all Ireland at any level.

Great observation on that Yoda quote, I do watch Star Wars alot. It just came out like that though.

AhFeckRef

;D
QuoteRossies by 4 or 5 and I honestly think they'll rattle Galway (I didnt say beat mind you) in the final.

I wonder what Leitrim will have to say about that...

Think Sligo will take this one with ease. Don't believe Ros are any great shakes as Leitrim proved in the Hyde earlier this year.