Tyrone V Donegal

Started by Tyrones own, May 27, 2007, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2007, 11:17:02 AM

Anyone think Ricey could lose his place? I for one would be happy to leave him out especially if we've got
McCaul
McGee  (Is he fit again)
Gourley (Is he ever fit)
Holmes (Maybe new Full back - Did OK 2003 for a while)
Justy (Would he be any good at Corner back)

All much more disciplined tacklers with no Pre-match Ref bias to influence them.
Think lots of Refs with Ricey and Bellew will often look to punish them quicker than some and can understand why

Ricey will be on we need him and dont have anybody else as good as him although I think he is not the force he was between 2003-2005
McCaul looks like a prospect.
Forget about Holmes and Gourley persistently injured and cant see them being up to the pace required.
Justin McMahon would maybe have enough defensive ability in the half back line (personally I dont think he has) and would definitely not be capable of playing corner back in a county championship game.

Star Spangler

We're doomed, DOOMED I tell ye!!

Fuzzman

Just think Ricey is getting too carried away with all the hype about himself and like to many others is into his white or red boots and playing the fool rather than focusing on the job in hand.

How many times does he have to keep doing really silly fouls and kicks at someone without getting properly punished.
Felt last night on TV they were implying that some refs may not punish a player now so that they can be taken up on TV evidence and punshed properly.
I'd say the DRA or whoever would love to get a chance to put one over on Ricey or Tyrone in general as we've shown them up too many times now.

tbrick18

I honestly think that Ulster is wide open this year.
I  know you can say Donegal must improve after the Armagh game, but so must tyrone after the fermanagh game.
It's a 50-50 call - even if both teams have all players fit and well. A draw wouldnt be a surprise, but on pre-championship form you would still have to say Donegal for the final (but only just).
As for the other side of the draw, Derry definately favorites to come out of it but how many times in the past have they slipped up against a "weaker" side? Derry are minus Paddy Bradley and Kevin McGuckain...and all of the replacement corner backs are injured so I reckon even Antrim have a chance of an upset. I also think Down will be a lot better next day out. I think it will be a Derry v Down semi which Derry will win by a point or two then a Donegal v Derry final.
Derry owe Donegal one after last years debacle, and by then would have Bradley back, and maybe even mcguckian so if - and it's a big if - Derry get to the final I fancy them to win it. If not, then Donegal would walk the final.

J70

So funny watching BBC last night as all 3 guys in Studio obviously hate each other now.
I used to like McHugh but he's a sly wee sh*te and won't be truthful about how he feels.

I heard back in 2005 he had his sons wearing Armagh jerseys to the Tyrone game and is always having snide reamrks at them.

You heard that McHugh "had his sons wearing Armagh jerseys to the Tyrone game and is always having snide reamrks at them."

I've listen to McHugh commenting on Highland Radio regularly. He always comes across to me as brutally honest, and while obviously rooting for Donegal on a Donegal radio station, he doesn't spare the criticism when he feels its due. I've never heard any nasty or biased comments from him towards any other Ulster county. Regarding Tyrone, I've heard him speak numerous times over his admiration for the work they have put in to producing the line of players and success they have enjoyed in recent years.

Some unsubstantiated anecdote about his sons wearing Armagh jerseys is hardly proof of any bias on his part.

Tyrone Dreamer

Will it be all ticket? - should be a big crowd but dont think it will be quite full so not neccesary.
Id like to see the following team if everyone is fit:
Devine
McMenamin (on Deveney and told not to burst forward)
McCaul (on McFadden)
Carlin
Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Hughes
Cavanangh
C Cavanagh
T McGuigan
Dooher
McGinley
O'Neil
Mulligan
That would still leave Mellon,Cavlan and the McMahons to be sprung from the bench.

ONeill

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2007, 06:47:20 PM

So funny watching BBC last night as all 3 guys in Studio obviously hate each other now.
I used to like McHugh but he's a sly wee sh*te and won't be truthful about how he feels.

I heard back in 2005 he had his sons wearing Armagh jerseys to the Tyrone game and is always having snide reamrks at them.

You heard that McHugh "had his sons wearing Armagh jerseys to the Tyrone game and is always having snide reamrks at them."

I've listen to McHugh commenting on Highland Radio regularly. He always comes across to me as brutally honest, and while obviously rooting for Donegal on a Donegal radio station, he doesn't spare the criticism when he feels its due. I've never heard any nasty or biased comments from him towards any other Ulster county. Regarding Tyrone, I've heard him speak numerous times over his admiration for the work they have put in to producing the line of players and success they have enjoyed in recent years.

Some unsubstantiated anecdote about his sons wearing Armagh jerseys is hardly proof of any bias on his part.

J70, in a TyroneGAA magazine this week, a former Tyrone county footballer from the 80s writes in his column regarding his disgust at McHugh's comments during the Tyrone v Fermanagh game last week. This player was sitting near McHugh and he claims his bias against Tyrone was evident as early as the minor game. He claims that from listening to him that McHugh 'harbours a serious dislike for Tyrone football', maintaining that he 'expressed anti-Tyrone sentiments on a few too many occasions'. 

This is actually a surprise to me, but he had no reason to write about this other than an honest observation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 28, 2007, 06:48:00 PM
Will it be all ticket? - should be a big crowd but dont think it will be quite full so not neccesary.
Devine
McCaul (on McFadden)
Carlin
Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Hughes
Cavanangh
C Cavanagh
T McGuigan
Dooher
McGinley
O'Neil
Mulligan
That would still leave Mellon,Cavlan and the McMahons to be sprung from the bench.

I don't understand what McConnell did wrong - was he to blame for the 4-goal salvo by Mayo?
I think McGinley would do a job on McFadden.
Apart from that 100% spot on if fit.

J70

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2007, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2007, 06:47:20 PM

J70, in a TyroneGAA magazine this week, a former Tyrone county footballer from the 80s writes in his column regarding his disgust at McHugh's comments during the Tyrone v Fermanagh game last week. This player was sitting near McHugh and he claims his bias against Tyrone was evident as early as the minor game. He claims that from listening to him that McHugh 'harbours a serious dislike for Tyrone football', maintaining that he 'expressed anti-Tyrone sentiments on a few too many occasions'. 

This is actually a surprise to me, but he had no reason to write about this other than an honest observation.

And of course that former Tyrone player is a paragon of objectivity!

What did McHugh actually say? I'm sure there were plenty listening to Highland radio who would have heard it.

ONeill

QuoteAnd of course that former Tyrone player is a paragon of objectivity!

But Donegal weren't involved in this in any way which surprised the journalist. Personally I've never heard anything like this before regarding McHugh and I can recall on many occasions his great admiration for "shan" Cavanagh. I just thought it was odd and shocked me somewhat I suppose.

Tyrones own

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2007, 07:43:42 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 28, 2007, 06:48:00 PM
Devine
McCaul (on McFadden)
Carlin
Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Hughes
Cavanangh
C Cavanagh
T McGuigan
Dooher
McGinley
O'Neil
Mulligan

I don't understand what McConnell did wrong - was he to blame for the 4-goal salvo by Mayo?
I think McGinley would do a job on McFadden.
Apart from that 100% spot on if fit.

Divine
Ricey
J McMahon
Carlin
Harte
Gormley ( may need to be switched to follow McFadden if he's on his game)
Jordan (would need to be a little sharper though from last day out)
Hughes
S.Cavanagh
E.McGinley
T McGuigan
S O'Neill
N.Gormley
Mulligan
C McCarron/ McCullagh

I honestly believe we need more players on-board that can take scores, Harte seems to go more for the grafters like
Dooher, Enda, Mellon and co but they're not exactly going to put a lot of points on the board. Any one of them on the field at a time is enough imo
With Hughes coming back into it, Harte, Jordan, Gormley and the likes of Tommy, i think we're not too badly fixed for Hoovers around the
middle for breaking ball. Quality fast ball into that forward line i think would cause problems for the best of them, enough of the short game
in to culdesac's, that tactic has been played out and pretty much expected from us at this stage.
Again, O'Neill imo is wasted at 14 as i feel he is too easily nullified by putting a sweeper in front of him and i wouldn't exactly class him as strong in the air.
He worked out there in '05 no doubt but nothing stays the same and coaches have counteracted, Bring him out to the 40 where he can make a bit of room
where there'll not be 2 or 3 defenders hanging out of him all the time and who knows what it might do for his confidence 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrone Dreamer

Agree O'neill that McFadden might suit Cormac McGinley. McGinley is generally good under the high ball (but prone to the odd mistake) and McFadden just like McGinley wouldnt be the quickest. If McGinley does start he must pick up McFadden and not be put on Brendan D. McConnell probably was at fault for at least one goal in the Mayo game. He has got into the habit of bursting out of his goal at the wrong time to go for balls he's not getting. Having said that I wouldnt have total confidence in Devine either and dont think there's much between them. Devine tends to kick the ball out over the side line far to often when trying to direct kickouts (Packie just doesnt bother trying to direct them but generally keeps the ball on the field!) Other people have mentioned Curran but I definately dont think he's ready. Looks like a good shot stopper, however in the u21's and v Monaghan in the McKenna cup he had problems under the high ball and looked a bit nervous. If O'Neill isnt fit to start Id throw Colm C back to full forward and maybe bring Mellon back to half forward (needs to get involved a lot more though). If Enda McGinley plays corner forward he provides lots of options. He can play in a 3 man full forawrd line as the ball winner or cover in the middle. If Tyrone are struggling at the back he can sit back in the half back line which allows Gormley to act as sweeper in the full back line and also allows are two good attacking wing backs to burst forward. Cavlan is a great option on the bench and can be a match winner in the last 20 mins. Its going to be a huge game for Tommy McGuigan and although he did well against Fermanagh Im still not totally convinced. He does have a greedy streak (not to the extent of Penrose) in him which has been evident since his minor days and its crucial that he plays the ball on to players in a better position. The potential is there though. Donegal should be a great match and lets hope our fans turn up this time and we arent completly out numbered by the Donegal crew.

Tyrone Dreamer

Tyrones Own, I dont agree with that full forward line at all and believe if we start with that we'll get beat. I thought against Fermanagh are full forward line was the weakest line on the pitch. There's no way you can get away with both Gormley and McCullagh/McCarron. The last day there was no outlet in the full forward line, them forwards require the almost perfect ball. The ball has to be worked to much to get them in scoring positions. If any of them should start it would be Gormley but depite his point taking I dont think he convinced enough to start. He just a bit small and light to win ball in a game against a strong team like Donegal. In my opinion if he'd started yesterday in the Armagh game he wouldnt have found the space to operate. He is a good sub though to throw on for 15-20 mins when the game opens up. He impressed me down in Limerick and against Kerry.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Must say I listened to a fair bit of Tyrone v. Fermanagh on Highland Radio and I was taken aback by some of the stuff McHugh said about Tyrone. Ive always liked him, have a soft spot for Donegal and well remember him as a great player for them, but it was clear listening to that commentary that he some kind of issue with Tyrone. He clearly took pleasure in Tyrone struggling, seemed to delight in writing them off and made a few personal attacks on players. For example he said of Nial Gormley after about twenty minutes "this is the first time Ive seen and he is a very selfish player". How could he say that so early in the game? Also made comments about the likes of Dooher, Hughes, McMenamin being off the pace and suggested they were basically washed up. Now I wouldnt normally indulge in any kind of 'media dont like us' talk but McHugh came across poorly that day and I wasnt at all surprised to see it was picked up upon in Teamtalk.

As for the game itself if we can SoN and Mugsy fit then we'll be in with a fighting chance. Would like to think there is also a big game in Raymie Mulgrew (again if fit) sometime soon. There would be a temptation to throw young McCaul in to the full-back line but a big ask for his first championship start....

Mr. Nakata

It's a bit early for my team selection, but Gallagher's 2 catches in the opening 10 minutes in Ballybofey were a joy to watch. He can leap and fetch, no doubt about it. My biggest fear is midfield. Sean is a class act, but imagine he has an off day. We could get cleaned out in there, completely destroyed. Cassidy was shocking on Sunday, so he'll not play as bad. Devine's kickouts tend to hang in the air which is perfect for the 2 Donegal men. Our only chance of survival in this area is good hoovering, short kick-outs, or get Joe McMahon in there to apply the fist. I thought he done a decent job down in Tralee, even though big Daragh was rampant that night. Even with Sean playing a stormer, his strength is his leadership and drive, not necessarilly his fetching. Midfield is key for me. Gone are the days the big blond bomber from the Moy lorded this sector with his partner in crime, the disgracefully moustached Harold McClure from the wilds of Clonoe. Glorious days indeed.