The Qualifiers Round 1

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 21, 2007, 08:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baoithe

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on May 21, 2007, 12:25:35 PM
That would make sense but I dont think it is the case, my understanding is that Div 4 teams are not "allowed" into the qualifiers and instead go straight into the Cooper cup.

I've actually read this somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where. Anyway, all the Division Four teams will, once knocked out of the provincial championships, go into the Tommy Murphy cup. The exception to this is if any of those Division Four teams reach their provincial final. In this case they go into the qualifiers.

Rossfan

Are ye fellas GAA fans at all or do ye ever read a paper or anything.
Never read such ill informed stuff as the above(well maybe Election stuff etc).
As decided at LAST OCTOBER'S SPECIAL CONGRESS - this year what happens is -
Div 4 teams Tommy Murphy Cup UNLESS they get to a Provincial Final.
Assuming none of them do -then all the other teams(16) who dont make the Provincial Finals go into the hat for Round 1.
The 8 winners go into the hat for Round 2.
The four survivors meet the Provincial Final losers.
Presumably if the Biffos make the Leinster Final -leaving 17 teams in Qualifiers- 2 teams will have to be drawn out to play to reduce it to 16.

Quite why a Special Congress was needed to make those amendments to the existing system I dont know. Suree anyone working in Croke Park could have amended the system on the back of an envelope.
The gap between the NFL and Provincial Championship and the delay with Round 1 Qualifiers was  to allow Counties time to play loads of Club Championship games during the Summer.
HAHAHAHA - how many will do so?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Biff

If teams like Mayo are going to have to wait 7 weeks for their first Qualifer game, then what is the advantage gained by the whole competition by dropping the old Round 1?

The numbers of teams used to make it all work out quite evenly.  Now there are all sorts of What-Ifs required because not all teams are treated the same in the one competition (the All-Ireland "race").

Can someone remind me again what the "good" reasons were for excluding the Division 4 teams from the early Qualifier rounds?
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

An Cloch Scoilte

I thimk the new system is a joke. Last years system worked and has done since 2001.
Why the need for change?

I think the hierarcy need to be content with where the situation of football is at instead of making all these tweaks to it.

For example you have a team like Clare who were knocked out of the All-Ireland race on Sunday past(20th May), and all they have to look forward to now is the Tommy Murphy Cup!! Who wants to look forward to that? To add to that their is now uncertainty left with their high profile manager Paidí Ó Sé, cause let's face it Paidí is not the type of manager to be dabbling with the Tommy Murph, now is he?

What does last October's decision at the Special Congress do for Clare Football, except possibly leavce them Managerless, in Div.4, and in the Tommy Murph?
If they had have been left to play in the Qualifiers, they could have received a favourable draw like they did last year against Aontroim, and got a win or two under their beltin the top tier Competition!!!

Will Hunting

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on May 22, 2007, 10:05:00 AM
What does last October's decision at the Special Congress do for Clare Football, except possibly leavce them Managerless, in Div.4, and in the Tommy Murph?

I wouldn't so much blame congress, as Clare's (and Paidí O'Sé's) inability to beat Waterford! Oh, and their demotion to Div 4! Surely they have got themselves into this sorry mess.

As for the qualifier system, yes it has worked well this past few years, but I don't think it has been of any huge benefit. Therefore, next year we should just scrap the whole backdoor system and get back to the original knockout structure.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on May 22, 2007, 10:05:00 AMFor example you have a team like Clare who were knocked out of the All-Ireland race on Sunday past(20th May), and all they have to look forward to now is the Tommy Murphy Cup!! Who wants to look forward to that? To add to that their is now uncertainty left with their high profile manager Paidí Ó Sé, cause let's face it Paidí is not the type of manager to be dabbling with the Tommy Murph, now is he?

If they had have been left to play in the Qualifiers, they could have received a favourable draw like they did last year against Aontroim, and got a win or two under their beltin the top tier Competition!!!

U obviously didn't read the article on Clare football under Paidi in de Tribune (or was it the Times?). The cut of it was that he didn't bother to turn up to half of the training sessions where not a ball was used in anger. Lads who've been togging out for years won't play for him, which is why they fielded 9 championship debutants on Sunday.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AN other

Can it happen that an uneven number of teams are in round one of the qualifiers depending how many division 4 teams loose or win their first match? If this is the case will one team get a by?

southderryman

if it is an open draw for round one, does this mean that, for example cavan and down could be drawn against each other?

cavan already in the qualifers after down beat them in the preliminary round, what if monaghan beat down, can they play each other again or not?

stpauls

from what i have heard SDM, the qualifiers are open draws, doesn't matter if Team A has played Team B already in the provincials!

southderryman

cheers for that stpauls. i dont think it would be fair on either of the 2 teams should this case arise as they've already played each other twice, but thats the way it is i suppose. just hope that for once we can avoid those qualifiers oursleves, not very likely though!

magpie seanie

Did ye see the lads sticking up last years format! Gas!

criostlinn

Am I right in saying that if Galway dont beat leitrim, they could get mayo in the 1st round of the qualifiers. Or meath could get kildare if they dont beat the dubs. Surely this isnt right and teams that have met previously cant meet again in round 1 or 2 at least of the qualifiers.

criostlinn

Quote from: criostlinn on May 22, 2007, 05:06:14 PM
Am I right in saying that if Galway dont beat leitrim, they could get mayo in the 1st round of the qualifiers. Or meath could get kildare if they dont beat the dubs. Surely this isnt right and teams that have met previously cant meet again in round 1 or 2 at least of the qualifiers.

Well this seems to be the case. Now wouldnt that be some craic. Another Mayo-Galway match in the next round. Who gets home advantage or would it automatically go to McHale park.

The Real Laoislad

The team drawn out of the hat  first would get home advanatge i'd say
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Jasus lads what's wrong with ye all.... ::)
This year the GAA in their wisdom(or as a result of Breheny moaning that the draw was too artificial) decided that it will be a totally open draw. That could indeed mean loads of repeat fixtures.
When that happened in 2001 they quickly moved to prevent teams meeting again but have now rowed back.
In Rounds one and two the first team drawn will have home advantage unless their ground doesnt come up to the mark(Louth ?).
Round 3 - venues to be confirmed - prob waiting till they see if they can get an attractive double header in HQ?? ::) ::)
As I said before the new arrangements were meant to allow the Counties to play loads of Club Championship games. How many will do so ??? 1 ? 2?
As for the Tommy Murphy -why dont they rename the competition the All Ireland Championship Div 2 ? and try and get it some prestige.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM