Mayo for Sam 2019

Started by TheGreatest, April 01, 2019, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballaghman

Quote from: BennyCake on April 01, 2019, 04:05:50 PM
COC is such a frustrating player. Gets involved in too much niggly stuff, distracting Mayo when in their flow.

Scoring a few frees is all well and good, but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the quality of that other 10.

Scoring a frees is all well and good surely. The 3 points he hit from play in the 2017 AIF came in handy too. I also kind of liked the point from play to bring us to a replay in 2016.

His big return from play in the two games against Kerry in 2014 were probably all handy scores in your head?
He's a class player who will walk back into the team. I agree he needs to cut out the messing  and the niggly stuff, he also lacks a yard of pace but you don't know what you're talking about if you think he only contributes frees to the team.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2019, 05:12:30 PM
I'd like to see the stat for points from play

Up until 2017 Keegan had more points from play in semi's and finals than COC.

Mayo4Sam

Points from frees count the same you know

DOC missed a free from the 21 yesterday, we miss COC
I would agree he could cut out the sideshow

And I am definitely saying he deserves to be in the same bracket as the other 9
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

When he first came to notice, back in his YPOTY years, I thought he was one kid who had everything; balance, timing, two-footed, vision, you name it and he appeared to have in in bucket loads. Apart from the problem of lack of speed off the mark, I couldn't see any obvious faults.
You could also tell that his team mates thought highly of him and seemed to regard him as a natural leader and, as the old saying goes, I began to entertain high expectations of him. He was just developing into the most influential player on the side when he was banjaxed by injuries- a shoulder being the major problem.
I don't think he ever fully recovered and was never quite the force he threatened to be before he became injury-prone. People who know him well told me he was devastated by the free he missed in the last few minutes of the 2017 final and blamed himself for Mayo losing the game because of this miss.   
It's understandable that his game suffered badly last year because his head was all over the place but while a loss of form is understandable, a loss of temper isn't, not in my book anyhow. Maybe I was a bit hard on the man but it seemed to me he was going to be odds-on to get red-carded in every game he played last year as he spent a loot of effort adding to his growing reputation as a cynical niggler.
I was really pissed off when he got the line during the league game against Galway last year. It was a game i felt Mayo had to win to entertain and hopes of getting very far in the championships and yet he spent his time exchanging digs and insults with every heron-choker that came withing a yard off him. The fact is, if the ref had been any use, Cillian would have got the line a lot earlier.
However, from what I've heard, he was shaping up very well in the club championship earlier this year and seems to have gotten the miss in 2017 out of his system and was making up for lost time, when he was grounded by injuries again.
Now, I know next to nothing about his present state or when and if, he will be ready to play again but he'd be  plus to any side anywhere if he could get back to playing natural football again and leaves it at that.
BTW ans I am not referring to COC only when I say that there is no real link between the star qualities of any player and his scoring returns. If there was, Maurice Sheridan would have been the standout player of John Maughan's team of the late 90s.
Between the semi against Kerry and the two finals against Meath, Morrisheen bagged 0-15.
However, only one of the fifteen came form play and the truth is that if he hadn't been a quality free taker, he would not have been selected in the first place.
The percentage of scores a player gets from open play will be a better indications of the man's worth that a grand total of his scores, regardless of how they came about.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

JoG2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 01, 2019, 06:02:05 PM
Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2019, 05:12:30 PM
I'd like to see the stat for points from play

Up until 2017 Keegan had more points from play in semi's and finals than COC.

Incorrect (unless you're excluding goals for the purpose of your ahem, point)

Angelo

Mayo fans get very defensive of COC but he contributes very little from open play. Mayo have played a running game since the Horan era, they have powerful ball carriers like the O'Shea's, Keegan, Boyle, Durcan, Higgins, Parsons, Vaughan, DOC who all bomb forward and run hard at the opposition which draws a lot of handy frees for them. COC takes the plaudits with the handy score from a 20 yard free for a lot of those players.

He's not a top level forward, if you had somebody like a Murphy, McManus, McBrearty in that Mayo team they would score a hell of a lot more scores. He's a good free taker on the whole but his contribution from open play is not up to the standard of a team gunning for All Irelands.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Hound

I'm not a big fan of Cillian, for the reasons Lar eloquently laid out, but I do respect his ability and his bottle. The equalizer he got in an All Ireland final, where he demanded the ball and knocked it over from 40 yards from play, showed leadership and balls. Yes, he misses the odd time, but not through lack of bottle. Also tucked away a penalty in an All Ireland final, making it look easy when the pressure would have been horrendous.

Giving him stick because he's not as good as Michael Murphy or McManus is harsh in the extreme!

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2019, 08:45:34 PM
Mayo fans get very defensive of COC but he contributes very little from open play. Mayo have played a running game since the Horan era, they have powerful ball carriers like the O'Shea's, Keegan, Boyle, Durcan, Higgins, Parsons, Vaughan, DOC who all bomb forward and run hard at the opposition which draws a lot of handy frees for them. COC takes the plaudits with the handy score from a 20 yard free for a lot of those players.

He's not a top level forward, if you had somebody like a Murphy, McManus, McBrearty in that Mayo team they would score a hell of a lot more scores. He's a good free taker on the whole but his contribution from open play is not up to the standard of a team gunning for All Irelands.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Especially the last sentence.

whitey

Quote from: BennyCake on April 01, 2019, 10:14:54 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2019, 08:45:34 PM

Yeah I'd agree with that. Especially the last sentence.

He's also worth the opposition getting a few yellow and red cards.....invaluable in the modern game.

He is also a selector (along with the two O Sheas and Andy fvckin Moran)

giveballaghback

"Mayo for sam" ah for f... sorry for the 68th time without success, bookies love it 11/1.

MayoBuck

Cillian gets plenty of scores from play. I honestly don't know how that myth is still out there.

He scored a stunning goal against Kerry in the 2011 semi final despite only being 19. Scored a hat trick against Donegal in the 2013 quarter final. When do you ever see a hat trick in Gaelic football? Excellent in both semi-finals vs Kerry in 2014. Carried the side vs Dublin in 2015. 3 points from play in the low scoring quarter final win vs Tyrone in 2016. Super equaliser vs Dublin in the drawn final. 3 points from play in the 2017 final. Many other examples too.

I can understand opposition fans don't like his off the ball stuff but you can't deny he's a prolific scorer.

sans pessimism

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 01, 2019, 11:04:11 PM
"Mayo for sam" ah for f... sorry for the 68th time without success, bookies love it 11/1.
yak yak yak
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

UpMeeyo

Quote from: MayoBuck on April 01, 2019, 11:38:34 PM
Cillian gets plenty of scores from play. I honestly don't know how that myth is still out there.

He scored a stunning goal against Kerry in the 2011 semi final despite only being 19. Scored a hat trick against Donegal in the 2013 quarter final. When do you ever see a hat trick in Gaelic football? Excellent in both semi-finals vs Kerry in 2014. Carried the side vs Dublin in 2015. 3 points from play in the low scoring quarter final win vs Tyrone in 2016. Super equaliser vs Dublin in the drawn final. 3 points from play in the 2017 final. Many other examples too.

I can understand opposition fans don't like his off the ball stuff but you can't deny he's a prolific scorer.

Donegal the current all Ireland holders at the time. If I'm not mistaken he scored a hat-trick in the connacht final (all be it against London) in the game prior too. Has anyone ever scored 6 goals in 2 concurrent matches? I think free takers get this argument thrown against them a lot. I would have held the same opinion of Dean Rock for a long time before realising his Quality.

I actually think Cillian O Connor's piggery is needed in that mayo side. Too often they lose games by not fouling enough/being cute enough/slowing down the game with fake injuries/taking soft frees the way Kerry/Dublin and more recently Galway do, and its something COC is very smart at.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 01, 2019, 11:04:11 PM

That's a really excellent comeback, your wit is astonishing
How about Mayo4TheLeague 2019?
Do you prefer that?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

BennyHarp

Fair play to Mayo and congratulations to them on winning league. If they are once again serious contenders it would make for an interesting Super 8 group with them as Connacht champions, Dublin as Leinster champions and maybe Tyrone or Monaghan as Ulster final runners up through the back door.
That was never a square ball!!