Intercounty players & social media

Started by Jinxy, March 28, 2018, 03:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

He'd better hope there's no feminists in the Carlow full back line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Unlaoised

Storm in a tea cup he has said sorry ...Move on!
LAOIS ABÚ

bamboo

Walsh dropped. Dunno what to make of it all.

Jinxy

The right call for me.
This isn't his first offence either.

IolarCoisCuain

There's no obligation on people to have social media accounts. If people have social media accounts, there's no obligation to pay any head to what people whom you don't know from a hole in the ground has to say.

The "problem" with social media isn't a problem with social media at all, but with conventional media using social media to generate clickbait. Sue Ellen Ewing wore a blue dress today and killed the internet. Twitter thinks it knows who shot JR. Calls for control over social media after Snapchat posts claim Maggie Riordan takes the pill. So f**king what?

On the substantive issue, the boy in Laois is a clown. The country is full of them. Why pay any heed to one anymore than the others? Why pay any heed to them at all?

Jinxy

If you were the team's sponsor, and the player made it very obvious who he was and who he played for in his social media profile before diving in feet first like Walsh did, would you feel you had a dog in the fight here?
It was very obvious to me watching it happen it in real time that MW Hire saw which way the wind was blowing and tried to limit the damage.
If I was giving money to a county team I'd be entitled to expect the players wouldn't damage the good name of my business, just by looking for a reaction on Twitter.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Jinxy on March 30, 2018, 12:41:34 PM
If you were the team's sponsor, and the player made it very obvious who he was and who he played for in his social media profile before diving in feet first like Walsh did, would you feel you had a dog in the fight here?
It was very obvious to me watching it happen it in real time that MW Hire saw which way the wind was blowing and tried to limit the damage.
If I was giving money to a county team I'd be entitled to expect the players wouldn't damage the good name of my business, just by looking for a reaction on Twitter.

I don't know Jinxy. AIG don't seem to have batted an eyelid when this happened: http://www.thejournal.ie/diarmuid-connolly-civil-court-case-3678487-Nov2017/. Seems worse than talking shite on Twitter.

Jinxy

The funny thing is, in the eyes of many it's actually not.
If you have a public profile and you say something that is perceived to be misogynistic, racist or homophobic in particular on social media, the mob will descend upon you.
They will go after your employers, sponsors etc.
There is an incredibly easy way to avoid this.
You do have the right to express aggressively ignorant positions on social media, but maybe you're better off just playing it safe, which is what most high-profile sports people do.
Personally, I've no sympathy for Walsh.
Maybe he's a nice fella behind it all, but all I have to go on are the various things he's said on Twitter, so I won't shed any tears for him.

IolarCoisCuain

I've no tears for him either Jinxy. Any booting he got because of this he deserved, and I hope he learns some lessons from this.

Captain Scarlet

Shit gets real when the sponsors come in. He is wearing a jersey with their name on it in his Twitter pic which means they will act.
On all sides, it's fairly fuckin obvious to stay well away from that case as it is a legal minefield. Aside from guilty or not guilty the stuff that came out didn't have them in good light, so Walsh should have activated his brain!

Be interesting to see what happens now with Kingspan and Ulster as the WhatsApp alone has them in awful light, plus Vodafone #TeamofUs with Best rocking up to the trial...

GAA players don't need training, they live in their community, not in a bubble like other lads so are the GPA going to do a 'Don't be a sack workshop' or have some fuckin cop on workshop...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

It isn't just that he is in a picture representing his county. If he's looking for a job potential employers will look at his social media profile and that could rule him out. I have a friend going nuts on twitter on the other side from this. People need some cop on. The hate they will be hit with, implications for the future and potential legal ramifications if they go too far are just a few things.

thejuice

Yeah it's idle chat which would be nothing but hot air in pub but on Twitter it sticks around and spreads beyond who you want to read it. I don't think anyone should be hounded for it and opinions can change but your statements can linger on forever.  At the same time it's one of the reasons I don't have Twitter. I don't want to be hung for an off the cuff remark or whatever.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I think most people have enough cop on to understand that there are certain subjects/areas that you should avoid like the plague on social media.
It's really not the place for nuanced debate.
The thing is, as reasonable grown-ups become less involved in social media, you can see it becoming even more polarised over time.
Pretty soon it will just be lads waving confederate flags roaring about 'snowflakes' vs. utterly humourless women with dyed pink hair.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016