We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: mup on April 13, 2018, 12:26:38 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 13, 2018, 11:24:12 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2018, 10:59:20 AM
I find all the media speculation about this a bit unseemly.
If he's not even playing for Vincents, and he's not injured, chances are there is something going on his personal life that is of more pressing concern at the moment.
Leave the man alone.

He's probably very disillusioned with the game given the way he was treated so unfairly last year. Nobody is going to tell me what he did was any worse than what andy moran did a few weeks ago and yet there was no massive outcry for moran to get a 3 month ban. To be fair I don't think what either player did merited such a significant ban but the whole disciplinary process needs to be looked at so that punishments are fair and equally applied. For such minor interference with officials a one game ban would probably suffice.

Personally I think he's a nasty and sneaky player. Wonderfully talented ok but that doesn't excuse his carry on.

So because you think he's nasty and sneaky you think it's okay for him to be hit with a 3 month suspension while almost everyone else gets off scot free for the exact same offence. The punishments in the gaa have to be applied equally even if joe public really like one player and dislike another.

rrhf

I think Connolly is under an unfair spotlight and it would be a shame to see him walking away. We need to be a bit fairer about him. Last year he was very poorly treated by both the gaa authorities and I believe his management.,

AZOffaly

Quote from: lenny on April 13, 2018, 12:35:49 PM
If he's not even playing for Vincents, and he's not injured, chances are there is something going on his personal life that is of more pressing concern at the moment.
Leave the man alone.

He's probably very disillusioned with the game given the way he was treated so unfairly last year. Nobody is going to tell me what he did was any worse than what andy moran did a few weeks ago and yet there was no massive outcry for moran to get a 3 month ban. To be fair I don't think what either player did merited such a significant ban but the whole disciplinary process needs to be looked at so that punishments are fair and equally applied. For such minor interference with officials a one game ban would probably suffice.

Personally I think he's a nasty and sneaky player. Wonderfully talented ok but that doesn't excuse his carry on.

So because you think he's nasty and sneaky you think it's okay for him to be hit with a 3 month suspension while almost everyone else gets off scot free for the exact same offence. The punishments in the gaa have to be applied equally even if joe public really like one player and dislike another.

what did he get 3 months for, that everyone else gets off scott free?

magpie seanie

If he was named in the programme and didn't play then either Vincents have created a storm for no reason (unlikely) or they thought at some point in the days coming up to the game that he was going to play.

tippabu

Leave the man alone.

There have been plenty of 3 month bans dished out for almost identical offenses.

AZOffaly

Quote from: tippabu on April 13, 2018, 01:18:41 PM
Leave the man alone.

There have been plenty of 3 month bans dished out for almost identical offenses.

If it's the offence I'm thinking of, then that's what I was going to say!

Taylor

The man doesn't play for a while and now all want home forgiven.
He done the crime and had to do the time so to speak. As have many other players

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2018, 01:21:09 PM
Leave the man alone.

Why was andy moran treated differently then?

AZOffaly

almost everyone else gets off scot free for the exact same offence

Andy Moran = 'almost every one else'?

Captain Obvious

He is resting is the excuse for lack of action on the field this year was he not resting enough with his long ban last year?

yellowcard

All around the Dublin set up they went bananas last year when Connolly got a 3 month ban. Now he seems to have taken a sabbatical whether temporary or permanent and Gavin claims he is just 'resting'. It's bizarre to say the least to think that in the goldfish bowl that is Dublin football, not one person appears to know for sure what the story is.

westbound

Quote from: lenny on April 13, 2018, 01:37:59 PM
Leave the man alone.

Because the referee dealt with it on the day. Therefore, the GAA couldn't (as per rule) change the referee's decision (i.e. ref said it was a black card offence).

I'm not saying I agree with that rule, but thats the reason he didn't get a ban, and Connolly did.

Hound

Quote from: westbound on April 13, 2018, 02:40:59 PM
Leave the man alone.

Because the referee dealt with it on the day. Therefore, the GAA couldn't (as per rule) change the referee's decision (i.e. ref said it was a black card offence).

I'm not saying I agree with that rule, but thats the reason he didn't get a ban, and Connolly did.
While that seems to be true in practice, it's not 100% technically correct. I understand that the referee can review a decision after a match and say he didn't deal with it correctly (because perhaps the view he had wasn't ideal) and put that in his report, which opens the door for further (or lesser) punishment. Although it very rarely happens (certainly in the case of increasing a yellow/black card to red).

Dublin's contention back then was the ref did deal with it at the time. The ball was out of play at the time of the incident so the ref was looking over in that direction. So it appeared the linesman and ref both thought nothing more should be done at the time. And the ref's report contained an addendum, which dealt with Connolly. So that looked to Dublin like the ref had nothing about it initially in his report, but then added something after the Sunday Game analysis. And as mentioned above, he's technically entitled to do that, but only he can say whether it was the pictures or analysis (or a call from someone!) that influenced his decision. 

But that's all water under the bridge now. As someone mentioned above, it is a bit unseemly to be guessing at motives of an amateur player's private life and how that is impacting his decision not to play (volunteer!) but understandable when it's high profile. A good comparison was when Dublin's best hurler, Danny Sutcliffe, refused to play for Ger Cunningham because they had a falling out (or so the story goes), but there was very little comment in media about that. Nobody gives a hoot about Dublin hurling!

mup

Quote from: Hound on April 17, 2018, 03:34:00 PM
Leave the man alone.

While that seems to be true in practice, it's not 100% technically correct. I understand that the referee can review a decision after a match and say he didn't deal with it correctly (because perhaps the view he had wasn't ideal) and put that in his report, which opens the door for further (or lesser) punishment. Although it very rarely happens (certainly in the case of increasing a yellow/black card to red).

Dublin's contention back then was the ref did deal with it at the time. The ball was out of play at the time of the incident so the ref was looking over in that direction. So it appeared the linesman and ref both thought nothing more should be done at the time. And the ref's report contained an addendum, which dealt with Connolly. So that looked to Dublin like the ref had nothing about it initially in his report, but then added something after the Sunday Game analysis. And as mentioned above, he's technically entitled to do that, but only he can say whether it was the pictures or analysis (or a call from someone!) that influenced his decision. 

But that's all water under the bridge now. As someone mentioned above, it is a bit unseemly to be guessing at motives of an amateur player's private life and how that is impacting his decision not to play (volunteer!) but understandable when it's high profile. A good comparison was when Dublin's best hurler, Danny Sutcliffe, refused to play for Ger Cunningham because they had a falling out (or so the story goes), but there was very little comment in media about that. Nobody gives a hoot about Dublin hurling!

Water under the bridge? Yet you still feel the need to justify his actions.

Reeks of paranoia.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on April 17, 2018, 03:34:00 PM
Leave the man alone.

My understanding is that it was brought to the refs attention by the linesman in their dressing room after the game. Highly, highly unlikely to have happened but if it was added after the Sunday Game analysis then that was wrong. From what I hear it's events off the field that are influencing Connolly's sabbatical.

Sutcliffe was going to New York that year, which is fair enough. Whether the falling out influenced his trip only he can say.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...