Author Topic: "It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"  (Read 8558 times)

trileacman

• View Profile
Re: "It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 12:02:35 AM »
No one says get rid of all together just reserve it for finals. A sensible suggestion and I really donít see what the fuss is about.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:44 AM »
Rule is the anthem can only be played once at a venue on any particular day. Generally reserved to before the second game.
Never knew that. I suppose it make sense but it seems more logical to me if it were played before proceedings begins ie before the first game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »
I have been in Irish bars and clubs all over London and have seen grown men and women cry when the anthem is broadcast before big matches every Summer. Even though they are gone from Ireland for many years these men and women still want the link with "home"
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
I have been in Irish bars and clubs all over London and have seen grown men and women cry when the anthem is broadcast before big matches every Summer. Even though they are gone from Ireland for many years these men and women still want the link with "home"

Meanwhile, many at the matches can't even shut the feck up until the anthem has finished!

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
I would hate to see the anthem done away with at games. I think it goes hand in hand with gaelic games for me.  It's sad to see so many other countries where the flag and anthem and pride in where you are from outshines the Irish. I have the Irish flag flying proudly outside my house here in Florida. I wish living in the North of Ireland I could even have one without fear of being targeted.  Any time I've been to a bar out here to watch a game every one to a man stood for the Anthem (over the flippin telly!).  I went to see Armagh play Derry in 2007 before I left for the States. I recorded the anthem at that game. Gaelic games, national pride and the anthem are so intertwined I would be devastated for that to be watered down

It probably has more significance now you live away from home. People tend to attach more significance to anything Irish when away from home.

Yes you risk being targeted having a tricolour on your house in the North, but how many in the South fly a tricolour on their house? Very very few. Because the South is not a divided society and therefore few feel the need to nail their colours to the mast.
I recorded the anthem at the match before I left Benny. The significance at the time for me was knowing this was possibly the last time I would be at a game in person. I chose to mark it and recorded the anthem. They're intertwined for me. Not because I'm away. They've always had significance.
Granted this national pride and attachment to Ireland has only increased since I have left and is what brings me home every year now.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight