Best after dinner speakers on GAA circuit

Started by ha ha derry, December 16, 2015, 07:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ha ha derry

Our club are having their 50th anniversary next year and want to make it special. Who would you suggest ? Nelson Mc Causland is busy 😉

illdecide

Quote from: ha ha derry on December 16, 2015, 07:50:29 AM
Our club are having their 50th anniversary next year and want to make it special. Who would you suggest ? Nelson Mc Causland is busy 😉

If u have deep pockets Peter Canavan is v good
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

Norf Tyrone

It depends your angle. We'd Benny for our 40th and he was pretty good. Up for the craic and with a few funny tales to tell.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

PAULD123

I would definitely agree that Benny is a great speaker. But even better is Joe Brolly. Joe is nothing like what you see him on TV, he is very funny, quick witted and not all that snearing stuff you see for the cameras. He will also talk to the people there, not just do his bit on the stage.

But to be honest the speakers are only as good as the host. Our club has held a few "audience" nights:

Asking James McCartan -  What was you greatest achievement in football? and then going on to ask the exact same question of Ross Carr, Benny Tierney and Paddy Doherty is hardly going to provide scintillating and revealing answers.

screenexile

Scullion has some great yarns for those types of things as well!!

ha ha derry

We have a Brian Cody for the serious side but would like a second speaker more for the craic. Wouldn't necessarily need to be Gaa personality, just sports personality !
Have had Joe Brolly before (club member) so maybe give him the nite off to let his hair down 😜

Louth Exile

Quote from: ha ha derry on December 16, 2015, 07:09:00 PM
We have a Brian Cody for the serious side but would like a second speaker more for the craic. Wouldn't necessarily need to be Gaa personality, just sports personality !
Have had Joe Brolly before (club member) so maybe give him the nite off to let his hair down 😜

Well if Joe is a club member then he is the first to ask! Simonstown Gaels celebrated their 50 years in 2015 and held a legends night. Colm got a load of his Indo buddies in, including Joe. It was an excellent night. My favourite was Kimmage, but Joe was excellent. Colm being the local man was slightly reserved, but a well put together night and the MC was crucial, on that occasion it was another Simonstown man who writes for Independent news and media in the big shape of Colm Keyes. Basically, I'm saying, ask Joe about the Simonstown gig
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

armaghniac

Yer man Olly that posts here would be some crack.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ha ha derry

Quote from: armaghniac on December 17, 2015, 04:12:38 PM
Yer man Olly that posts here would be some crack.

Yip, certainly entertaining but affordability might be the issue. 😄

foxcommander

Surely you'd invite Willie Ross or Gregory Campbell along?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Eamonnca1

We've had Adrian Logan out here before, he was always good crack.

ha ha derry

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 18, 2015, 03:19:19 AM

Aye, wee Logie might be good if we ignore the Tyrone issue 😁

redhandefender

Quote from: ha ha derry on December 18, 2015, 08:00:28 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 18, 2015, 03:19:19 AM

Aye, wee Logie might be good if we ignore the Tyrone issue 😁

Datsun donaghey

bannside

At his best you couldn't get much better than Gerry Donnelly.