Author Topic: Concussion in the GAA  (Read 4842 times)

Jinxy

• View Profile
Re: Concussion in the GAA
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »

Shortly after half time, based on what people told me (I've no recollection), a ball went into the corridor of uncertainty, and I elected to try to head it into the net, and in doing so I shipped a heavy knock on the head. Lay down for 30 seconds, then got up and at it. Allegedly I played a blinder for 10 minutes or so, when I decided to take myself out to midfield and drive the team forward (I still don't believe that bit). Then I lay down in the midfield area and decided to go for a wee sleep. The reserve management duo (including 5 Sams), got me revived enough to drag me over to the side of the field, where I lay down and came in and out of silly talk and sleep for 10 minutes.

This is pretty standard junior B behaviour.
Are you sure you had a concussion?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

Shortly after half time, based on what people told me (I've no recollection), a ball went into the corridor of uncertainty, and I elected to try to head it into the net, and in doing so I shipped a heavy knock on the head. Lay down for 30 seconds, then got up and at it. Allegedly I played a blinder for 10 minutes or so, when I decided to take myself out to midfield and drive the team forward (I still don't believe that bit). Then I lay down in the midfield area and decided to go for a wee sleep. The reserve management duo (including 5 Sams), got me revived enough to drag me over to the side of the field, where I lay down and came in and out of silly talk and sleep for 10 minutes.

This is pretty standard junior B behaviour.
Are you sure you had a concussion?

It is funny, but it's an awful brain scrambler.  My first exposure to concussion was an U13 Leinster blitz up in Dublin. We had just played a semi final, and were waiting for the other semi to be played to see who we'd be playing. Then we noticed one of our lads, who had got a belt in the game but played on, crawling around on all fours, scrabbling with his hands on the dirt. We asked him what he was doing and he said 'What do you think? I'm getting a towel out of the hotpress to go for a swim'

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
Aaron Kernan was concussed yesterday.

The implications of bad concussion are really unthinkable

http://www.abiireland.ie/
Jaysus would you shtop

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
Feely took a nasty knee in the head from MacCauly and never looked right after it today. It is an area where the GAA needs to offer players more protection and punish clumsiness.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:09 PM »
Feely took a nasty knee in the head from MacCauly and never looked right after it today. It is an area where the GAA needs to offer players more protection and punish clumsiness.

He got an elbow then a knee in quick succession, if that was a rugby match the ref would have ordered him off. Kildare doc didn't look happy.
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
As i said they can be quite clumsy at times for such excellent athletes.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Anyone got a link to what to look out for with concussion? Think there might have been a Gaelic Life article once but can't locate it.

A relative's youngster got a blow to the head, discharged from hospital. Just want to know what they should look out for over the next few days.

oakleafgael

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 12:06:36 AM »
Anyone got a link to what to look out for with concussion? Think there might have been a Gaelic Life article once but can't locate it.

A relative's youngster got a blow to the head, discharged from hospital. Just want to know what they should look out for over the next few days.

http://learning.gaa.ie/Concussion