"Hail Mary" option practised in GAA

Started by JBM on the 21, September 23, 2013, 02:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

Watching the end of the match today got me thinking if teams that find themselves in the situation that Mayo did (2 down in injury time) practice a set routine (similar to the "Hail Mary" in American football).  A goal has to be scored (if  2 or 3 points down). It would make sense if they did.

Syferus

Same as hurling, your free-taker aiming for the roof of the net. Meehan managed it against Cork this year. Any sort of pre-programmed moves are pointless because there's no way you can hope to carry a ball through 12-15 men in the square and get a worthwhile chance.

Zulu

Carrying it through is not the only option. While it doesn't happen often enough in football to be worth too much thought I agree that teams should have something worked on to try if they deem it necessary. No harm in trying to add a few percent to an already low percent chance.b

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

As was said, Meehan did it. McFadden also did it, albeit after being passed the ball from the free, against Mayo. Obviously different circumstances in that it didn't mean anything, but those two in the last couple of months show that it can work.

seafoid

Aristo 60

weareros

Anyone have a video link to the Ciaran McDonald goal from a free versus Ballaghaderren in the county final a few years ago. Although it took a bit of a deflection, thought that was the best Hail Mary I've seen.

Mario

I remember Geoffrey McGonigle getting one in a championship game v Tyrone around 2001, Derry still lost but it was a great strike.