Foreign appreciation of GAA?

Started by 30mog, August 09, 2013, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie d

Quote from: StephenC on August 10, 2013, 07:49:27 PM
Philip Jordan ‏@PhilipJordan72
"The 4th post on this thread is as a good a description of what the GAA is about as you could get #proudtobeagael "

AZOffally, take a bow.
[/quo
Maybe he is philip jordan..aw u cute tyrone ones

INDIANA

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 09, 2013, 02:04:01 PM
Quote from: 30mog on August 09, 2013, 12:56:42 PM
And unbelievably GAA is still strictly amateur!  Long may it continue.  Manchester United, Chelsea et al aren't sports clubs anymore!  And it isn't just soccer that has sold it's soul.  That said.  I bet top GAA players cash in from an endorsement or personal appearance here and there. 

For trips over to Ireland.  I would rather pick out opportunities that get me over for the whole weekend.  Prefer 2 or 3 of them a year to 7 or 8 day trips.  Exceptional exceptions are possible though.  From where I live, there are 4 airports within 90 minutes with flights to Ireland.  As long as you have a few weeks notice, you can normally get a good deal.  Even if it is the airline that charge you to use the loo.  Little or no luggage, boarding passes printed at home etc..  Before now I have been unlocking my front door less than 100 minutes after the engines firing up for take off at Dublin.

Before anymore of that.  I do indeed want to learn the whole game from club to county to NFl/NHL ahead of next years All-Ireland Championship.  And it is fair to say looking in on London GAA will satisfy some of the agenda.  Then again, if someone can tell me the nearest club to Dublin Airport I might give it a whirl.  As sometimes I can get to Dublin cheaper than London.

Welcome aboard 30mog. It would be churlish, indeed disrespectful, to try and improve on AZOffaly's summary.
My advice. Come over to Ireland ANY weekend in the year and you will find something to interest you....let us know on here when you are flying over and you will be pointed in the right direction for that weekend's action. I'd safely say some of the lads on here would be willing to meet you to give you the grand tour. Don't restrict your self to Dublin though. At the risk of getting a kicking from the AJHs on here the Dublin club scene wouldn't necessarily reflect the true parochial nature alluded to by AZOffaly earlier. Have fun and dont disguise the accent....no need.

Don't be throwing in all clubs in dublin into the one basket. Go to a dublin championship game an odd time

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2013, 08:15:48 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 09, 2013, 02:04:01 PM
Quote from: 30mog on August 09, 2013, 12:56:42 PM
And unbelievably GAA is still strictly amateur!  Long may it continue.  Manchester United, Chelsea et al aren't sports clubs anymore!  And it isn't just soccer that has sold it's soul.  That said.  I bet top GAA players cash in from an endorsement or personal appearance here and there. 

For trips over to Ireland.  I would rather pick out opportunities that get me over for the whole weekend.  Prefer 2 or 3 of them a year to 7 or 8 day trips.  Exceptional exceptions are possible though.  From where I live, there are 4 airports within 90 minutes with flights to Ireland.  As long as you have a few weeks notice, you can normally get a good deal.  Even if it is the airline that charge you to use the loo.  Little or no luggage, boarding passes printed at home etc..  Before now I have been unlocking my front door less than 100 minutes after the engines firing up for take off at Dublin.

Before anymore of that.  I do indeed want to learn the whole game from club to county to NFl/NHL ahead of next years All-Ireland Championship.  And it is fair to say looking in on London GAA will satisfy some of the agenda.  Then again, if someone can tell me the nearest club to Dublin Airport I might give it a whirl.  As sometimes I can get to Dublin cheaper than London.

Welcome aboard 30mog. It would be churlish, indeed disrespectful, to try and improve on AZOffaly's summary.
My advice. Come over to Ireland ANY weekend in the year and you will find something to interest you....let us know on here when you are flying over and you will be pointed in the right direction for that weekend's action. I'd safely say some of the lads on here would be willing to meet you to give you the grand tour. Don't restrict your self to Dublin though. At the risk of getting a kicking from the AJHs on here the Dublin club scene wouldn't necessarily reflect the true parochial nature alluded to by AZOffaly earlier. Have fun and dont disguise the accent....no need.

Don't be throwing in all clubs in dublin into the one basket. Go to a dublin championship game an odd time

It's a lonley road being a Dub, eh Indiana?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Very welcome 30mog, great stuff!  :)

As has been mentioned, your accent won't mean anything other than you'll be overwhelmed with well meaning solicitousness - you won't be stuck for a GAA foster home, at whichever level, and from whatever source! ;)

Just last weekend in the aftermath of the Monaghan-Tyrone game (war, whatever!), whilst grabbing a bite, four (very obvious) scousers ensconced themselves right next to me. Turns out that they'll be back for the semi-final, their Mum's a Mayo lass.

And needless to say, they were just as cocky about their relative prospects in that as the weshtern natives themselves are (no matter how they attempt to dissimulate!).  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

brokencrossbar1

Welcome to the family son.  Not a shotgun wedding threat or anything here but for a young English GAA virgin, there is only one place to pop your cherry....  The greatest club team ever!!!

Senior and Junior adult teams and a fine underage structure but on top of that we are heavily invested in the actual history of the GAA.  The likes of Nemo etc are very much pretenders to the historical throne, They may have a few more AI's but we were ripping it up when they were still battling with who they were going to steal players from we were making the county championship our own!!!

Seriously though come over any time, you can follow any team, the one guarantee you will have is that you will be made feel welcome and so long as you buy your round then you should be fine ;D

ONeill

Can't let BCB get away with that.

30mog, forget yer Crossmaglens and their brand of hatchet football, get yerself down to East Tyrone and to Derrytresk. It's not far from the M1 so if things cut out rough there's a quick getaway to the airport. On match days you can sample orange, clear and brown mineral with a variety of crisps to complement your tipple.

There's a man with a tin on a table as you drive down the lane. It'll probably say £5 but just throw in any loose change and say 'they'll be hard bate the day" or "that big full forward is a hoor of a lad" or "did ye hear Mary's dead".

You can stand at the rampart side as it's just a quick jump over the sheuk and you can do your business behind the brackens. During the game shout at any given time "travellin for fcuk sake ref" "two bounces for fcuk sake ref" "good man Pat, horse into him, he's yella" or "you'll never get out alive ref".

At half time there'll be women selling tickets for a raffle to win more crisps and mineral.

Towards the end there will probably be a boxing match on the field involving all 40 players and subs, both sets of management, officials, local hard men, women with accessories - feel free to join in. The brawl will probably spill out across the bog and maybe up the road towards the chapel. Head in to the bar for a pint and say things like "flip, they were come cnuts alright" or "Typical west Tyrone basterds".

A much more cultured experience than your Crossmaglen and their corned beef sandwiches.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 10:44:34 AM

30mog, forget yer Crossmaglens and their brand of hatchet football, get yerself down to East Tyrone and to Derrytresk. It's not far from the M1 so if things cut out rough there's a quick getaway to the airport. On match days you can sample orange, clear and brown mineral with a variety of crisps to complement your tipple.

There's a man with a tin on a table as you drive down the lane. It'll probably say £5 but just throw in any loose change and say 'they'll be hard bate the day" or "that big full forward is a hoor of a lad" or "did ye hear Mary's dead".

You can stand at the rampart side as it's just a quick jump over the sheuk and you can do your business behind the brackens. During the game shout at any given time "travellin for fcuk sake ref" "two bounces for fcuk sake ref" "good man Pat, horse into him, he's yella" or "you'll never get out alive ref".

At half time there'll be women selling tickets for a raffle to win more crisps and mineral.

Towards the end there will probably be a boxing match on the field involving all 40 players and subs, both sets of management, officials, local hard men, women with accessories - feel free to join in. The brawl will probably spill out across the bog and maybe up the road towards the chapel. Head in to the bar for a pint and say things like "flip, they were come cnuts alright" or "Typical west Tyrone basterds".

A much more cultured experience than your Crossmaglen and their corned beef sandwiches.

Never mind AZ's post on the first page - that's the GAA right there!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

brokencrossbar1

I'll bow to that, there is no finer example of the GAA as described by our midget friend from Tyrone, the work going on in the Bushes is far and away better than anywhere else in the country though I would see your brown lemonade and raise you a bottle of Maine American Cream soda and curse you and your foul culinary 'expertise', there is nothing quite like a Corn Beef and brown sauce sandwich with a cup of sweet tea out of a Tartan Thermos. 

All of a Sludden

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 11, 2013, 07:45:38 PM

I'll bow to that, there is no finer example of the GAA as described by our midget friend from Tyrone, the work going on in the Bushes is far and away better than anywhere else in the country though I would see your brown lemonade and raise you a bottle of Maine American Cream soda and curse you and your foul culinary 'expertise', there is nothing quite like a Corn Beef and brown sauce sandwich with a cup of sweet tea out of a Tartan Thermos.

Ah be jaysus O'Neill, how is a wet behind the ears English gent going to know what a mineral is. He'd be better off in Cross.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

AZOffaly

Quote from: StephenC on August 10, 2013, 07:49:27 PM
Philip Jordan ‏@PhilipJordan72
"The 4th post on this thread is as a good a description of what the GAA is about as you could get #proudtobeagael "

AZOffally, take a bow.

Always liked him :D

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 11, 2013, 10:13:46 AM
Welcome to the family son.  Not a shotgun wedding threat or anything here but for a young English GAA virgin, there is only one place to pop your cherry....  The greatest club team ever!!!

Senior and Junior adult teams and a fine underage structure but on top of that we are heavily invested in the actual history of the GAA.  The likes of Nemo etc are very much pretenders to the historical throne, They may have a few more AI's but we were ripping it up when they were still battling with who they were going to steal players from we were making the county championship our own!!!

Seriously though come over any time, you can follow any team, the one guarantee you will have is that you will be made feel welcome and so long as you buy your round then you should be fine ;D

BC1, who's that club that beat ye in February again? What mighty county do they represent? My memory's a little foggy. You'd want to be turning him onto the best around today and not the best from a year ago, you know, in my opinion.

armaghniac

Syferus, there is no point in him wasting time on a one in a row club.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on August 12, 2013, 01:16:06 AM
Syferus, there is no point in him wasting time on a one in a row club.

A hodge-podge Brigids team beat the Roscommon Intermediate champions (who themselves have made the senior county QFs) by 19 points in the championship today. Would be making any proclamations just yet  :-*

Jinxy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2013, 11:54:47 PM
Very welcome 30mog, great stuff!  :)

As has been mentioned, your accent won't mean anything other than you'll be overwhelmed with well meaning solicitousness - you won't be stuck for a GAA foster home, at whichever level, and from whatever source! ;)

Just last weekend in the aftermath of the Monaghan-Tyrone game (war, whatever!), whilst grabbing a bite, four (very obvious) scousers ensconced themselves right next to me. Turns out that they'll be back for the semi-final, their Mum's a Mayo lass.

And needless to say, they were just as cocky about their relative prospects in that as the weshtern natives themselves are (no matter how they attempt to dissimulate!).  :P ;)

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...