Author Topic: Ulster Colleges  (Read 135842 times)

Fr. Cyril McDuff

• 42-39-56, you could say she had it all
    • View Profile
Re: Ulster Colleges
« Reply #1080 on: April 14, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »
From my knowledge the local catchment around Maghera (i.e 5-6 miles) don't have to sit the 11+ and are graded by P7 teachers and then an early exam in 1st year. It's those outside the area that have to pass to get in, with the caveat of an older brother/sister at the school being in your favour or you are a top footballer lol.

Each year group has 4 grammar stream classes and 4 non grammar. Few years back mind you. Maybe different now.

Still a similar set up, though apparently there have been suggestions of dropping the grammar stream by the new head teacher.
Children at feeder primary schools (Glen and Glenview in Maghera, Tirkane, Swatragh and Gulladuff I think) don't have to do a transfer test but can still be in the grammar stream depending on their primary school reports.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
St pius magherafelt always used to produce great players and good school teams but until recent years had only went up to 5th yr! There was a time in the late 70's early 80's when they stayed to 18 that they won 3 VS  cups in a row and were probably better than the corresponding maccrory cup winners at the time!
Yep Damian Barton, Mickey Berryman  Ronan McCuaker Marty Bradley amongst others on those StPius teams from memory

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
Apparently a player was air lifted to hospital during a Mac Rory cup game today between Cavan and Carrickmacross, anyone hear of this?

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 30, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »
Apparently a player was air lifted to hospital during a Mac Rory cup game today between Cavan and Carrickmacross, anyone hear of this?

Off the ball strike I was told, cavan player taken away to hospital. I hope it was not as cynical as it was reported to me.

Dire Ear

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46469758
Gardaí (Irish police) have said they have received a report of an alleged assault on a boy following an incident during a Ulster Schools GAA match

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 06, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46469758
Gardaí (Irish police) have said they have received a report of an alleged assault on a boy following an incident during a Ulster Schools GAA match

There's a sea change in the way these off the ball strikes are being handled. Someone is going to do time. Pressure from the public is going to see the Gardai and PSNI involved.