Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain NFL 2009

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 29, 2009, 07:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Probably honours even over the years. Memorable victories were last year in the league and championship as well as the McAnallan game in 04.

Nightmares include Croker '04, the 07 hammering and in 2005 you went up to Omagh and won as well. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FermPundit

Quote from: ONeill on March 29, 2009, 11:43:09 PM
Probably honours even over the years. Memorable victories were last year in the league and cahmpionship as well as the McAnallan game in 04.

Nightmares include Croker '04, the 07 hammering and in 2005 you went up to Omagh and won as well. 

What year was the semi final of the National League in Enniskillen? I was at it, but I can't remember the year.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ONeill

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on March 30, 2009, 12:08:02 AM
http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2002/04/17/story9273.asp

My God. Forgotten about that one. Was nt at it. Lost all will to live during the Holmes era. Y know that was nt a bad Mayo team on paper. To think there are some looking for yer man to take over again. Shudder.

Barney

Yeah that Enniskillen game was a shocker alright.

Memorable wins for us were the 2004 one in Croke Park, beating Tyrone in Omagh in 2005/2006 (I think?) - the day McDonald didn't appear - it was their first defeat there in a long time; the four goals in 2007 in Omagh and the u21 semi-final win in Cavan on the day Leinster and Munster played in the Heiniken Cup, again 2006.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 30, 2009, 12:08:02 AM
http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2002/04/17/story9273.asp

...O'Neill was the instigator of another blistering attack five minutes later and a neat transfer by the outstanding Brian Dooher was driven low and hard to the Mayo net by Kevin Hughes. A terrific strike which had the Ulster men well and truly on the highway to glory.
On a day borrowed from heaven in the lovely lakeland county of Fermanagh, the men from Tyrone swept through Mayo with consummate ease. Peter Canavan, Stephen O'Neill and Kevin Hughes tagged on points as the red and white flags dominated Brewster Park.
Only Peter Burke came out of this encounter unscathed and were it not for his two excellent first half saves from Peter Canavan and Kevin Hughes, Mayo's plight would have been atrocious at halftime.

...while the full-forward line of Peter Canavan, Kevin Hughes and Brian McGuigan gave the Mayo rearguard a most testing time. ...

The Hub reliving his glory days of free-footed score-taking with that final point against Derry  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Foreverhopeful

big game for mayo... need a win to boost us before championship preparations. This league campaign has been strange.We could have been challenging for honours. Derry were there for the taking and donegal + dublin could and should have been wins (dublin more so). If we can just start games before the 25th minute we would be in a better position. This needs to be looked at. Considering the pessimistic outlook many mayo fans have at the moment we could find ourselves in 3rd place and that would be great. We should look at the positives and they are
1. Kevin Mcloughlin -has to be definate starter - great player for future.
2. Barry Moran -  can be a leader of attack in front of the square
3. Ger Cafferkey - good defender not sure about no.3 but best we have. If doesnt make it at 3 then should be accomodated.
4. Aidan O' Shea - could we have the mayo twin towers with moran, could start in corner and drift out to help out the pitch to negate our poor starts and when we get into game he can drift into full forward line alongside moran
5. Donal Vaughan - good option, won't start champ but one for the future.
6. Getting andy out of corner forward - not an IC corner forward
7. Giving conor a kick up the arse - can work off barry moran if he wants,  should be waiting under him.
8. Liam O'malley - has been most impressive, one or two hairy moments.
9. Mark Ronaldson-  impressive footballer, has a great brain, should see some game time over summer
10. Trevor Mortimer - injury free whether he remains at no.11 we'll have to wait and see, prefer him at no.10

Thats 10 of my positives. Dont ask about my negatives... Thats for another day.

rosnarun

Quote1. Kevin Mcloughlin -has to be definate starter - great player for future.

thts a bit of a jump has he ever started a game?

mayo fans have this shocking habit of hyping up player fresh out of nappies only to turn on them as soo as they show any signs of weakness a similar thing is happening with O'shea and Cafferkey all very good players who must not be rushed .
boy do i hate that moronic Mantra  if they are good enough they are old enough.  its not a case of now or never just because they are not yet good enough does not mean they never will be.
we cant expect our players to come ready made out of the box . if they could anyone could manage the team even JOM
hpefully these lads will get plenty of low pressure challange games between now and roscommon and some of them will be raring to go. we just need patience
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: rosnarun on March 31, 2009, 12:41:16 AM

mayo fans have this shocking habit of hyping up player fresh out of nappies only to turn on them as soo as they show any signs of weakness a similar thing is happening with O'shea and Cafferkey all very good players who must not be rushed .
boy do i hate that moronic Mantra  if they are good enough they are old enough.  its not a case of now or never just because they are not yet good enough does not mean they never will be.
we cant expect our players to come ready made out of the box . if they could anyone could manage the team even JOM
hpefully these lads will get plenty of low pressure challange games between now and roscommon and some of them will be raring to go. we just need patience

It's plain and simple you pick your best footballers, mcloughlin is one of them. You put him in there cos he is good enough. It's pretty simple. Nothing to do with age, this is based on football skills. Would you rather we stick with the andy moran's? It's time we put in youngsters provided they are good enough. Bring on the experienced lads like heaney or nallen at the end to close out games.

kevmy

Quote from: rosnarun on March 31, 2009, 12:41:16 AM

Wouldn't say it's a jump. He'd have started more but for the U21's and name a better option at CB. Not saying he's the solution to all our problems but the best option at CB at the moment. That might change with the return of others but for Sunday week he has to start if nothing else than see how he does against a decent team.

Oh and he started against W'meath I think

RedandGreenSniper

I'd be very confident about McLoughlin too, having seen him over the last few years. He reads the game very, very well. And he doesn't get fazed easily. I'd expect him to start in championship but we'll see what happens between now and then.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Foreverhopeful

Exactly, no point in holding back this particular player. It's obvious to all he has the bottle for IC football.  Can see him being a fixture in this mayo team for years. Prob start as a corner back but will end up at no. 6 i'd say as he gets older.

moysider

Many in the club see his future in the forwards. More specifically as an 11.

ONeill

Anyone know if any of the absentees - O'Neill/Dooher/McGinley/McMahon - will be considered for this?

Is Ricey's suspension up too?

outthecountry

What are the odds on this one ending in a draw - makes both teams happy.!!!!!