Casement upgrade proposed by GAA

Started by never kickt a ball, March 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I was a Sinn Fein member and activist during the Bertie Bowl debacle. The party were against it then. I have since moved on but I am really interested to know what the Sinn Fein position is on this new stadium for a start. 2nd question, do you believe 100m (ring fenced or not) is well spent money on a new all seater GAA stadium in the north. I presume you can provide me with a justificatinon or a Return on Investment spreadsheet if you are in favour.

Main Street

Donagh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 05, 2009, 08:48:57 PM
I was a Sinn Fein member and activist during the Bertie Bowl debacle. The party were against it then. I have since moved on but I am really interested to know what the Sinn Fein position is on this new stadium for a start. 2nd question, do you believe 100m (ring fenced or not) is well spent money on a new all seater GAA stadium in the north. I presume you can provide me with a justificatinon or a Return on Investment spreadsheet if you are in favour.

SF do not have a position on it as far as I know so long as the division of the money is equitable over the three sports.

If the GAA are to be given £100 million they wouldn't otherwise get, yes I'm all for it. Why should I justify my position? I'm a member of the GAA, my justification is purely selfish - money for nothing. This is Brit money we wouldn't be getting otherwise, so what? Bleed the feckers dry for all I care, they owe us.

I think you aren't getting the 'ring-fenced' bit yet. The cash given to run the north is granted under the Barnett Formula as it is also done with Scotland and Wales. The money for the stadium is additional money that has been allocated outside that. How do you think it would go down in Scotland and Wales if the Irish were to be given additional money to run their government and public services, especially when they think the Irish are already getting more than their fair share?

mylestheslasher

I do "get" what you are saying but let me put this another way. IF the GAA had to find the 100m themselves would you support the building of another stadium in Ulster. If you do then you are saying that there is a need for a all seater stadium and for me there is absolutley no need for one.

ziggysego

Why you going on about ifs? There is on ifs? Ifs have no relevant to the debate.
Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ziggysego on April 06, 2009, 09:55:34 AM
Why you going on about ifs? There is on ifs? Ifs have no relevant to the debate.

Any chance you could type in English so I can understand. The people who represent Ulster Gaels seem hell bent on a new stadium. A large number of people are in favour here without giving one shred of evidence that the project is viable. This is a vanity project that is all about getting one up of the soccer or rugby crowd. Show me in black and white why its not and I'll accept that my argument is wrong. Show me some justification. Show me how this ground is viable without making the existing grounds in Ulster non-viable. Anyone?

Donagh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 06, 2009, 10:57:30 AM
Any chance you could type in English so I can understand. The people who represent Ulster Gaels seem hell bent on a new stadium. A large number of people are in favour here without giving one shred of evidence that the project is viable. This is a vanity project that is all about getting one up of the soccer or rugby crowd. Show me in black and white why its not and I'll accept that my argument is wrong. Show me some justification. Show me how this ground is viable without making the existing grounds in Ulster non-viable. Anyone?

Hold on here a minute Myles, it's only a few posts ago you were telling us that the Assembly should use the money to build a new hospital without stopping to consider if we needed a new hospital or without knowing that the Assembly couldn't spend the money on a new hospital. Central Council first identified the need for a 40k stadium in 2001 and this has been the aim of the Ulster Council ever since. If you want justification for this position then you only need to look at the games which have had to be moved to Croke Park since that time.

bingobus

If we are going to get the money for a new stadium, no problem take it but it has to be fully thought out and the correct location selected.

Is Casement that place, I think not.

The cost may be paid for upfront but will we end up with a stadium that is full twice a year? Realistically at present the only game in Ulster that will fill that stadium is an Ulster game with Tyrone and Armagh, this may not last forever. I don't ever recall having trouble getting tickets for an Ulster final in Clones in the past with a lower capacity.

What will be the annual maintainence of such a stadium? Who will be responsible for such costs? Will we end up with a situation like Clones now where the Ulster board don't want it and the Monaghan County Board don't want it cost of the cost of running it.

Location? Parking in Casement is already troublesome, will the influx of extra people to game's make it even more troublesome? Is the positioning right? Should be more central in the province?

I think that we will be left with a big empty stadium most of the time.

A tidier, modern ground with reduced capacity would fit the bill better.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 11:05:38 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 06, 2009, 10:57:30 AM

Hold on here a minute Myles, it's only a few posts ago you were telling us that the Assembly should use the money to build a new hospital without stopping to consider if we needed a new hospital or without knowing that the Assembly couldn't spend the money on a new hospital. Central Council first identified the need for a 40k stadium in 2001 and this has been the aim of the Ulster Council ever since. If you want justification for this position then you only need to look at the games which have had to be moved to Croke Park since that time.

I suggested that the money could be used for another purpose such as a hospital, road etc. It is up to those proposing this venture to prove that it is viable. Not for others to show it is non viable. I presume then that you have not had a chance to see the facts & figures then how can you whole heartedly back the project?

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 11:05:38 AM
Central Council first identified the need for a 40k stadium in 2001 and this has been the aim of the Ulster Council ever since. If you want justification for this position then you only need to look at the games which have had to be moved to Croke Park since that time.
Since 2001, I think it is 4 games that have been moved to Croke Park - three Ulster Finals and an Ulster Final replay.
The attendance at the replay (in 2005) was so small it could have been held in Clones (or Casement) with current capacity constraints. The attendance at the others would suggest that even a 45,000 capacity stadium would not be enough to satisfy demands for such instances where there is exceptional demand.

So we have actually had to move 3 games to Croke Park in the last 7/8 years (since 2001). Hardly justifies the need for a massive new stadium - especially one which still won't be big enough for those games that were moved in the past.

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
Since 2001, I think it is 4 games that have been moved to Croke Park - three Ulster Finals and an Ulster Final replay.
The attendance at the replay (in 2005) was so small it could have been held in Clones (or Casement) with current capacity constraints. The attendance at the others would suggest that even a 45,000 capacity stadium would not be enough to satisfy demands for such instances where there is exceptional demand.

So we have actually had to move 3 games to Croke Park in the last 7/8 years (since 2001). Hardly justifies the need for a massive new stadium - especially one which still won't be big enough for those games that were moved in the past.

But it says there has been a need in the recent past. The Ulster Council has recently published it's next strategic plan where it's looking to increase participation and broaden it's appeal to other sections of the community i.e. plan for the future. A new stadium is part of that planning and as we saw with Croke Park, many people will come to a new stadium for the 'event' as much as anything else. I have no doubt that the same people involved in the Croke Park project who are now behind this will have worked out the figures in terms of what is best for the GAA. If Peter Quinn reckons it's a goer, that's good enough for me.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 04:02:36 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2009, 01:40:12 PM

If Peter Quinn reckons it's a goer, that's good enough for me.

Like the Daily Ireland then??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties