McCloskey says onus is on players

Started by never kickt a ball, January 13, 2007, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

McCloskey says onus is on players
13 January 2007

Highly-rated Armagh football coach John McCloskey has insisted that players who criticise coaches should instead do some soul-searching.
"A lot of teams do drill after drill and there is not actual coaching done," McCluskey maintains.
"The players have to think about what they are doing, question it and question themselves; how am I improving by doing it?
"Some players are critical of coaches, but a player has to take responsibility and say I am weak in this area and go away and work on it if he is serious about wanting to be a successful player."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Armagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71047

I think this is the most sensible thing I have heard in a while especially "The players have to think about what they are doing, question it and question themselves; how am I improving by doing it?" Did/do you do that as a player or manager? Do you think many players do this?

lawnseed 2

mccloskey knows his stuff and hes right its up to the players to question their own abilities and to work on the things they are not confident at, all to often you see teams make brilliant starts to a match, then something goes wrong and they automatically revert to type and completely lose the plot tyrone are a good example of this they are unstoppable when things are going to plan but when put under physical pressure eg dublin league match seem unable to cope dublin beat them but i'd take tyrone every time because they are a better team but they have that weakness. john could also put his theory to big joe who also has a weakness i.e his lack of a plan 'b'. something to work on? 

Cloc Mor

Quote"A lot of teams do drill after drill and there is not actual coaching done," McCluskey maintains.

Is he not contradicting himself.  By saying this, surely the onus is on the coach and not the players.

Uladh

Ironic to hear this from a conditioning trainer. perhaps he intends graduating to coach some day?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Uladh on January 14, 2007, 12:50:13 AM
Ironic to hear this from a conditioning trainer. perhaps he intends graduating to coach some day?

No harm Uladh, but I think you have just confirmed McCloskey's point. 

Uladh

No harm nkab but for those of you who can't read between the lines, mccloskey's point is "it's the players' fault, not mine"

Cloc Mor

Is this a case of saying that when Armagh win nothing this year, don't blame me.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Uladh on January 14, 2007, 07:59:25 PM
No harm nkab but for those of you who can't read between the lines, mccloskey's point is "it's the players' fault, not mine"
Quote from: Cloc Mor on January 14, 2007, 08:15:59 PM
Is this a case of saying that when Armagh win nothing this year, don't blame me.

Come on Guys! Why would a "conditioning trainer" have to say this?

Cloc Mor

johnneycool

You'd like to think that drills would have a point or something in mind but in saying that I have been involved in some drills where the goal wasn't obvious and to me that's bad coaching.

As a player do you voice your concerns and be seen as the disruptive element or just get on with it and row in with the rest of your team?