Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2017, 08:22:02 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 10, 2017, 08:12:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2017, 08:01:42 PM
I am Rory's number one fan. But the way he has turned his back on Ireland is disappointing and I ask myself why. Is he a product of his environment as follows:

1) His secondary school (apparently mixed, but not much evidence of such)
2) His golf club (does the queen of england still hang in the entrance?)
3) His peers (rugger buggers and soccer lovin posh gits)

Clearly he never spent any time in Lurgan or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.

Correct, like everyone in the 6 counties Rory is a product of his local environment and its prevailing culture.

While Sullivan Upper has a small percentage of Catholic pupils and it is a non-denominational school, the prevailing culture is  British  His peers would be typical North Down inhabitants following Ulster and the GAWA.

So he shoulda went to a single faith school like St Pats Knock?

Answer 1 - He went to the school that offered him the best education.
Answer 2 - He went to the school that his mates went to.

My suspicion is answer 2
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2017, 08:37:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2017, 08:22:02 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 10, 2017, 08:12:16 PM
I am Rory's number one fan. But the way he has turned his back on Ireland is disappointing and I ask myself why. Is he a product of his environment as follows:

Clearly he never spent any time in Lurgan or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.

Correct, like everyone in the 6 counties Rory is a product of his local environment and its prevailing culture.

While Sullivan Upper has a small percentage of Catholic pupils and it is a non-denominational school, the prevailing culture is  British  His peers would be typical North Down inhabitants following Ulster and the GAWA.

So he shoulda went to a single faith school like St Pats Knock?

Answer 1 - He went to the school that offered him the best education.
Answer 2 - He went to the school that his mates went to.

My suspicion is answer 2

He's 10/11 when making that decision ffs!! BRA once a mainly prod school is now pretty mixed due to the area and decent education it brings... Sullivan upper is another good school in his local area would it be he went to school they was close to him decent education plus some from his primary school went also??

Bring out the baying mob pitch forks at the ready!! We've a hanging to go to!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2017, 08:51:15 PM

He's 10/11 when making that decision ffs!! BRA once a mainly prod school is now pretty mixed due to the area and decent education it brings... Sullivan upper is another good school in his local area would it be he went to school they was close to him decent education plus some from his primary school went also??

I'm not looking to hang Rory. I'm just trying to working out where he got his complicatedness.

Itchy

He's a bollix, he wasn't ever honest with the public before so why should anyone believe him now. There is no such nationality as "northern Irish" so he might as well tell us he's feels like he's a Klingon. Personally I believe his loyalty is to Britain. I don't know why and I don't really care as it's no skin of my nose. I'm just calling out his bullshit. I've lots of Irish sportsmen I follow and like to see do well.

Take Your Points

While the schools are partly mixed the children come from similar socioeconomic backgrounds and the culture in the school is a North Down version of Britishness.  Like every other child his cultural development was a mixture of school and the area in which he lived.

North Down is an area that is almost as far away from nearly any other part of N.Ireland in cultural terms as it is possible to be. Those who have issues with Rory would have the same cultural issues with anyone from the North Down area and certainly many outside Belfast would not believe that such an environment exists in N.Ireland.  Both protestant and catholics are fairly culturally similar in North Down.  They are an example for those who would like us to be much more integrated in our schooling and cultural interests.

Take Your Points

Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2017, 10:09:03 PM
He's a bollix, he wasn't ever honest with the public before so why should anyone believe him now. There is no such nationality as "northern Irish" so he might as well tell us he's feels like he's a Klingon. Personally I believe his loyalty is to Britain. I don't know why and I don't really care as it's no skin of my nose. I'm just calling out his bullshit. I've lots of Irish sportsmen I follow and like to see do well.

I think you would consider most people from North Down as Klingons.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2017, 09:55:12 PM

I'm not looking to hang Rory. I'm just trying to working out where he got his complicatedness.

It's down to where he's from.... not complicated at all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Take Your Points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2017, 10:10:54 PM

It's a lack of cultural understanding by those who cannot tolerate Rory's attitude to nationalism.

Orior

The catholic church in Holywood was bombed during the troubles. And, in the best of all english village traditions, Holywood has a maypole. Rory had no chance.

Interestingly though, Holywood does have a gaelic team (St Pauls) but I guess they don't yet have an engagement policy with Sullivan Upper.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2017, 11:24:23 PM
The catholic church in Holywood was bombed during the troubles. And, in the best of all english village traditions, Holywood has a maypole. Rory had no chance.

Interestingly though, Holywood does have a gaelic team (St Pauls) but I guess they don't yet have an engagement policy with Sullivan Upper.

Maypole being non Christian I believe so heyho! Fair fucks to them... plenty churches burnt down on both sides during troubles but you managed to leave that out and interesting enough St Paul's primary school in Beechmount (falls road) never had a Gaelic team but had a soccer team!

Orior what is your point??

Applesisapples

This is Barry Mcguigan in reverse I never bought his bullshit either. McIlroy's utterances have more to do with Nike and brand Rory than identity. Personally I have never liked him, never will and I doubt he gives a fcuk. He should go and play for GB.

johnneycool

Its not that simple either as I've relations in North Down and we've several lads from that area who hurl for us and there's nothing British about them, big into the Irish language, sport and traditional music.

Rory is Rory and I don't think he would have thought much about the politics of the place he was born and reared in, (not uncommon with a lot of the youth today) and all of a sudden due to his sporting prowess he's had to make a decision with political implications rather than just a sporting one and rather than seem to offend anyone make a dick of himself with the zika virus nonsense when every man and his dog knew the real reasons.

He supports Ulster Rugby (9 counties BTW) and GAWA (not my particular choice) but so f**k, he's a good golfer, so let him plough on at that.

Too many people going out of their way to be offended just like those dicks hounding James McClean over his stance on the poppy.

JoG2

this is hilarious!  Only in this backwater where people carry around this baggage with them is this an issue. In every other other part of the world, inc Britain, McIlroy is Irish. In Australia, Africa, the USA, McIlroy is seen as Irish, not British, not Northern Irish. The fact that many on here are hating on a chap they don't know because he won't nail his colours to their mast is why we're where we're at. Up a ra !

Orior

Quote from: JoG2 on January 11, 2017, 09:43:35 AM

this is hilarious!  Only in this backwater where people carry around this baggage with them is this an issue. In every other other part of the world, inc Britain, McIlroy is Irish. In Australia, Africa, the USA, McIlroy is seen as Irish, not British, not Northern Irish. The fact that many on here are hating on a chap they don't know because he won't nail his colours to their mast is why we're where we're at. Up a ra !

Personally, I like Rory and want home to win the Masters this year. But I'm just trying to understand why he has this predicament. Is it because of his upbringing, his schooling, his mates, his environment? As I said earlier, Holywood tries to be more english than anywhere else in the occupied six with their maypole.

Franko

Quote from: johnneycool on January 11, 2017, 09:42:24 AM

Its not that simple either as I've relations in North Down and we've several lads from that area who hurl for us and there's nothing British about them, big into the Irish language, sport and traditional music.

Rory is Rory and I don't think he would have thought much about the politics of the place he was born and reared in, (not uncommon with a lot of the youth today) and all of a sudden due to his sporting prowess he's had to make a decision with political implications rather than just a sporting one and rather than seem to offend anyone make a dick of himself with the zika virus nonsense when every man and his dog knew the real reasons.

He supports Ulster Rugby (9 counties BTW) and GAWA (not my particular choice) but so f**k, he's a good golfer, so let him plough on at that.

Too many people going out of their way to be offended just like those dicks hounding James McClean over his stance on the poppy.

+1