Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Tyrone raised the money themselves
Limerick were funded by a rich tax exile who loves Limerick

Dublin, are funded by the 31 other counties.
Dublin GAA could only fundraise €56,000 last year!
Who's paying for all those coaching staff? Coaches training? S&C upskilling?

TheGreatest

For those who think hurling is something you do the morning after a night out.

There is a thread on the Limerick financing issue in the hurling section of the forum.

To be found here - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=29100.msg1881226;topicseen#new

Hound

This is a complete waste of my time, as I've done it before and everyone just ignores it. Some people just like crying maybe. So this is the very last time, I'm doing it!

Money given to games development has sweet feck all to do with Dublin's success.

Without Cluxton, we most definitely would not have won 2011 and probably would not have won 2013. Blessed to have the best goalkeeper, and the hardest working goalkeeper, there has ever been.
And we've also had the best freetaker in the country the last 4 years. Had Rock missed any one of the seasons 2015, 16, 17, we definitely would not have won Sam as we would have missed crucial frees. Two lads with ordinary jobs who practice on their own time incessantly even apart from training.
We would have won 2018 without either of them, as the standard from the rest of the country took a drop.

The genuine advantages we have:
1. Population, population, population.
How many Dubs players have parents from outside Dublin, who came to Dublin for work?
Big number. We'd be a different team if players had to play for the county of their Dad!

2. Club game
Adult club game in Dublin is super. 16 teams in Division 1 who train as hard as most county teams. Huge amount of work put into Dublin clubs by non-Dubs who've moved county. Huge. That's so much more important than the GDO's. There's plenty of culchies here I'm sure who live in Dublin and who have heavy involvement with their local Dublin clubs. It does bug me that they let the fallacy of the GDOs continue and say nothing about the work of the members. And again, population increasing all the time, means increased members and increased work and increased money coming directly from members. It's not that any member works harder than club members in other counties, but there's more of us!
Over the last 18 months, i've donated a four figure sum to my club. Along with over 50 others. Big fundraising work going on to improve facilities.

3. Location location location
Our lads have (practically) no distance to travel for training. Whereas country lads, especially outside Leinster spend hours and hours in the car. The advantage we have had over Mayo in that regard these least 5 or so years is incalculable. How many All Ireland's would have changed hands had traveling to training been reversed? More than one for sure, regardless of GDOs!

4. Croke Park
We're a Croke Park team. It suits us. The Pillar Carrey team could get intimidated by it. Although they also came up against opposition, like Tyrone and Armagh who embraced it. Meath always embraced it when they were good. Interesting hearing Stevie McDonnell saying if he was still playing for Armagh and he had a choice of playing a Super 8 game in Parnell Park or Croke Park, he said he'd choose Croker without hesitation.
Honestly I don't believe our games in recent years v Mayo or Kerry would have seen a change of result if the only thing that changed was moving it outside Croker. Mayo are a Croke Park team too.

These are genuine advantages.  No problem hearing about these. The money argument is a compete red herring.  Hurling is improving for all the reasons above (apart from Croke Park, our lads are better in Parnell). Most clubs now try and give underage an equal footing, which was never the case. In my club, it's 95% culchies who train our hurlers! I never picked up a hurl in the same club for the 10 years I played. The Dubs hurlers don't have a special player like Cluxton, Rock or Connolly. We need a couple of those to become genuine contenders. But with our population, and the work going on by (mainly culchies) club members , I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Of course the money will get all the credit!

But this board will see a complete moron saying that money turned Brian Fenton from a junior B footballer into arguably the best midfielder in the country. And he gets 'great post' replies. FFS.
Maybe there should be a ban on players returning from a long injury layoff playing a game with their second team?

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on February 20, 2019, 03:46:40 PM
So what your saying is Dublin money counts, but with Tyrone it  doesnt. I didn't realise Brexit had kicked in already. I thought we had until March 29th or do you just not recognise that part of the country as being part of this island??

It's amazing, all these years later and it's still the exact same tactics! You are using deflection 101. Tyrone have a centre of excellence, Limerick have JP McManus, remember when Kilkenny were winning every year, no one said anything when Kerry were always winning, Kildare are spending huge sums on McGeaney, not our fault Meath are sh1t, Donegal have some investor, no one else went to Croke Park with a plan, everyone else is spending the money on stadiums, Roscommon bought a bus, have I forgotten anything?
Just endless streams of deflection. Not one of those defends the financial doping of Dublin. They are all completely irrelevant. You and all the Dubs only bring them up because you have nothing else. You cannot defend the doping. And don't worry, I know what comes next. You will keep talking about Tyrone or some other irrelevant topic. You will keep repeating this over and over. It really is quite pathetic that the Dubs have been reduced to this. Even your county board chairman partakes in it.  ;D

priceyreilly

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 20, 2019, 04:00:30 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 20, 2019, 03:46:40 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 03:29:51 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 20, 2019, 03:06:38 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 20, 2019, 02:36:35 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 02:30:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2019, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 20, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 20, 2019, 10:38:55 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2019, 09:33:09 AM
Breheny leading the charge against Donegal's Motion

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/martin-breheny-super-8s-farce-makes-congress-clr-while-major-issues-ignored-37833926.html

As usual like alot of posters on this MB your anti dub bitterness has you posting rubbish and lies.

Martin makes quite reasonable points that there could have been far more important issues addressed at congress this weekend such as player welfare and fixture congestion rather than all the focus on the unfair advantage dubs have in croker super 8s (which he agrees with) He also points out there are no motions submitted  to amend the ridiculous and unfair structures in the provincial championships

But I'm sure the auld reliables on this MB will use this to bleat on again about Dublin money
like the  financial doping of Dublin?
like re-balancing funding to other leinster counties?

Do you seriously think Meath and Kildare will become forces again if they just had a few more quid? Its that simple?

Well, it worked with Dublin! What you forget or more likely, what all Dublin supporters want us to forget, is that Dublin were struggling prior to the doping. Their senior footballers were beaten by Westmeath and Laois in previous seasons, they'd only won one All Ireland in 22 years. Their hurlers were also losing to Laois and Westmeath, they never won anything with their own players. At underage, titles were scarce in both codes. 1 All Ireland since 1984.
Then what happened? The Bertie bonanza! Since then Dublin have won 6 football All Ireland's, their hurlers won their first ever provincial championship. At underage, they have won 7 All Ireland's in both codes. A complete turn around. So guess what? Money works!

Just maybe your right as seen in Limerick hurling and previously in Tyrone (millions invested, centre of excellence etc). If treating all equally then their wins are tainted and financially doped to win their success . . . .

Yawn.

;D No way, is that deflection I see? I've never seen that before from a Dub. Yawnnnnnnn!

You are free to argue against everything I've said. Tell me why you think I'm wrong, I've provided facts and figures, what have you got as a counter argument? Tell me why you don't think Dublin are financially doped.

I have written about 100 posts on this matter and numerous threads, if will do so again, if you can state why Limerick Hurling and Tyrone football are not in the same bracket, financially doped!?

;D I'm not new to this game. I've heard all the abuse, all the lies and yes, all the deflection. There's tonnes of it. Limerick hurling or Tyrone football are completely irrelevant. They have nothing to do with the financial doping of Dublin. You will not discuss Dublin's doping no matter what answer I give. It shows how desperate and weak the defence of Dublin is when the only response is abuse, deflection or lies.

So what your saying is Dublin money counts, but with Tyrone it  doesnt. I didn't realise Brexit had kicked in already. I thought we had until March 29th or do you just not recognise that part of the country as being part of this island??

You add Cork to that list, a stadium, sure that's an unfair advantage, built it in Leitrim.

Just as I was saying.

Hound

Odd how pricey just puts up laughing emoticons when all he's doing himself is crying!

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2019, 04:11:06 PM
This is a complete waste of my time, as I've done it before and everyone just ignores it. Some people just like crying maybe. So this is the very last time, I'm doing it!

Money given to games development has sweet feck all to do with Dublin's success.

Without Cluxton, we most definitely would not have won 2011 and probably would not have won 2013. Blessed to have the best goalkeeper, and the hardest working goalkeeper, there has ever been.
And we've also had the best freetaker in the country the last 4 years. Had Rock missed any one of the seasons 2015, 16, 17, we definitely would not have won Sam as we would have missed crucial frees. Two lads with ordinary jobs who practice on their own time incessantly even apart from training.
We would have won 2018 without either of them, as the standard from the rest of the country took a drop.

How many Dubs players have parents from outside Dublin, who came to Dublin for work?
Big number. We'd be a different team if players had to play for the county of their Dad!

2. Club game
Adult club game in Dublin is super. 16 teams in Division 1 who train as hard as most county teams. Huge amount of work put into Dublin clubs by non-Dubs who've moved county. Huge. That's so much more important than the GDO's. There's plenty of culchies here I'm sure who live in Dublin and who have heavy involvement with their local Dublin clubs. It does bug me that they let the fallacy of the GDOs continue and say nothing about the work of the members. And again, population increasing all the time, means increased members and increased work and increased money coming directly from members. It's not that any member works harder than club members in other counties, but there's more of us!
Over the last 18 months, i've donated a four figure sum to my club. Along with over 50 others. Big fundraising work going on to improve facilities.

Our lads have (practically) no distance to travel for training. Whereas country lads, especially outside Leinster spend hours and hours in the car. The advantage we have had over Mayo in that regard these least 5 or so years is incalculable. How many All Ireland's would have changed hands had traveling to training been reversed? More than one for sure, regardless of GDOs!

4. Croke Park
We're a Croke Park team. It suits us. The Pillar Carrey team could get intimidated by it. Although they also came up against opposition, like Tyrone and Armagh who embraced it. Meath always embraced it when they were good. Interesting hearing Stevie McDonnell saying if he was still playing for Armagh and he had a choice of playing a Super 8 game in Parnell Park or Croke Park, he said he'd choose Croker without hesitation.
Honestly I don't believe our games in recent years v Mayo or Kerry would have seen a change of result if the only thing that changed was moving it outside Croker. Mayo are a Croke Park team too.

These are genuine advantages.  No problem hearing about these. The money argument is a compete red herring.  Hurling is improving for all the reasons above (apart from Croke Park, our lads are better in Parnell). Most clubs now try and give underage an equal footing, which was never the case. In my club, it's 95% culchies who train our hurlers! I never picked up a hurl in the same club for the 10 years I played. The Dubs hurlers don't have a special player like Cluxton, Rock or Connolly. We need a couple of those to become genuine contenders. But with our population, and the work going on by (mainly culchies) club members , I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Of course the money will get all the credit!

But this board will see a complete moron saying that money turned Brian Fenton from a junior B footballer into arguably the best midfielder in the country. And he gets 'great post' replies. FFS.
Maybe there should be a ban on players returning from a long injury layoff playing a game with their second team?

All been done before.

Cluxton was there when Dublin were getting destroyed. As was Flynn, Connelly, Brogan. What changed was the huge influx of players from the professional system.

1. You always had the population. What changed from 2005?

2. Clubs have felt the benefits of the doping. Actually probably more so than at inter county level. Having a paid coach to nearly every club and some clubs having two will of course make a huge difference. Just look at what it's done for hurling. Cuala have won 2 All Ireland's. Actually I have a table ready to show just how much the money has improved the club scene in Dublin.

3. This clearly is true. It saves hugely on expenses too. Mayo and others have spent huge amounts on travel. Dublin can spend that on team preperation.

4. Obviously, home advantage is huge. Dublin have only played one away game in football since 2006.

These advantages you mention were all there before the funding. It was the money that changed everything. We're talking about 35 million euro here. It's not just spent on coaches. There are paid professionals in charge of the planning and implementation of plans. It's improving the game at the base level and there is an elite level training and development program also. You can see the results of it all. From the club game in both codes, women's GAA, underage success and then senior men's hurling and football.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2019, 04:18:07 PM
Odd how pricey just puts up laughing emoticons when all he's doing himself is crying!

Hardly crying. At this stage, I find it hilarious. I've almost accepted our games are gone. They will kick half the counties into a b competition in football. They will have to find other ways to make money once the elite 8's fail. They might have a breakaway group of counties enter a new competition. You Dubs may think it's all about you. You're just the county the businessmen in HQ invested in. The revenue from Dublin is already dropping. This will end in disaster for us all unless something is done soon.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 02:30:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2019, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 20, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 20, 2019, 10:38:55 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2019, 09:33:09 AM
Breheny leading the charge against Donegal's Motion

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/martin-breheny-super-8s-farce-makes-congress-clr-while-major-issues-ignored-37833926.html

As usual like alot of posters on this MB your anti dub bitterness has you posting rubbish and lies.

Martin makes quite reasonable points that there could have been far more important issues addressed at congress this weekend such as player welfare and fixture congestion rather than all the focus on the unfair advantage dubs have in croker super 8s (which he agrees with) He also points out there are no motions submitted  to amend the ridiculous and unfair structures in the provincial championships

But I'm sure the auld reliables on this MB will use this to bleat on again about Dublin money
like the  financial doping of Dublin?
like re-balancing funding to other leinster counties?

Do you seriously think Meath and Kildare will become forces again if they just had a few more quid? Its that simple?

Well, it worked with Dublin! What you forget or more likely, what all Dublin supporters want us to forget, is that Dublin were struggling prior to the doping. Their senior footballers were beaten by Westmeath and Laois in previous seasons, they'd only won one All Ireland in 22 years. Their hurlers were also losing to Laois and Westmeath, they never won anything with their own players. At underage, titles were scarce in both codes. 1 All Ireland since 1984.
Then what happened? The Bertie bonanza! Since then Dublin have won 6 football All Ireland's, their hurlers won their first ever provincial championship. At underage, they have won 7 All Ireland's in both codes. A complete turn around. So guess what? Money works!

Money works if you have a plan behind it. Thats what others are lacking. Are we supposed to apologise for being organised? You have poibtedly failed to prove thete is a bias, yes Dublin has strategic importance because of our population and being the capital, but if you think just cutting another struggling power a large cheque will fix them you are deluded.

And he repeats, happy to ringfence what money the Dubs generate for use in Dublin only. Ditto your county.

Hound

Quote from: the_daddy on February 20, 2019, 04:28:00 PM

2. Club game

4. Croke Park

Fair play Hound, I agree with almost all of that. The only issue I have with the Dubs and money is, that despite having the location advantage and therefore less money pay out in travelling expenses (which, conservatively, takes up over 50% of the team expenses in every other county), they're still consistently in the top 2 or 3 for team expenses and I'm not sure how that's possible.
I don't have the figures to hand. The length of time in the championship is a key factor. When Dublin and Mayo get to the final, Mayo usually spend more because of increased travel. Take that away and it's similar, we both look after our players very well in terms of everything else, as do Kerry and others.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2019, 04:43:45 PM
Money works if you have a plan behind it. Thats what others are lacking. Are we supposed to apologise for being organised? You have poibtedly failed to prove thete is a bias, yes Dublin has strategic importance because of our population and being the capital, but if you think just cutting another struggling power a large cheque will fix them you are deluded.

And he repeats, happy to ringfence what money the Dubs generate for use in Dublin only. Ditto your county.

Of course there was a plan! This was an investment from the GAA and they wanted a return. Why do you think you've played so many games in Croke Park? Bertie got you the money, how more biased can you get. The success of Dublin has been put ahead of looking after the health of our games in all other counties. We are seeing the effect of it now and we will continue to see it.

Hound

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 04:29:07 PM

2. Club game

4. Croke Park

All been done before.

Cluxton was there when Dublin were getting destroyed. As was Flynn, Connelly, Brogan. What changed was the huge influx of players from the professional system.

1. You always had the population. What changed from 2005?

2. Clubs have felt the benefits of the doping. Actually probably more so than at inter county level. Having a paid coach to nearly every club and some clubs having two will of course make a huge difference. Just look at what it's done for hurling. Cuala have won 2 All Ireland's. Actually I have a table ready to show just how much the money has improved the club scene in Dublin.

3. This clearly is true. It saves hugely on expenses too. Mayo and others have spent huge amounts on travel. Dublin can spend that on team preperation.

4. Obviously, home advantage is huge. Dublin have only played one away game in football since 2006.

These advantages you mention were all there before the funding. It was the money that changed everything. We're talking about 35 million euro here. It's not just spent on coaches. There are paid professionals in charge of the planning and implementation of plans. It's improving the game at the base level and there is an elite level training and development program also. You can see the results of it all. From the club game in both codes, women's GAA, underage success and then senior men's hurling and football.

Again, you're just not listening because you've no interest in listening.

Did Cluxton go from talented hot head to the best keeper of all time because of money?
It's moronic nonsense to even suggest it. First, he copped himself on. Second, he worked his arse off so his god given talent could give the results that came. He's an absolute freak of a man. A genius. A nutter. A hero. Money was and is completely and utterly irrelevant.

We'd no reliable freetaker in the pre Gilroy years. Mossy Quinn, Wayne McCarthy, Johnny McNally, Ray Cosgrove and a few more were all given the job, and were all not quite reliable enough. Almost impossible to win an All Ireland without a good freetaker.
I guarantee that no player in Ireland has put more practice into freetaking that Dean Rock. Living and working in Dublin has helped that considerably. Money has been irrelevant.
We'd no reliable full back for a good few years too. Trying the likes of Barry Cahill and Denis Bastick there!
But then came along Rory O'Carroll to make an enormous difference. Money again irrelevant.

New tactics from Gavin has allowed us to get away with playing 3 corner backs since Rory moved away. I also think opposition managers may have missed a trick in not going after what I think has been Dublin's biggest weakness these last few years.

The GDOs have had practically zero influence on all Dublin hurlers and footballers. As I've said, our lads do get looked after very well, as do Mayo, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick and others. And we've no travel.

We have an amazing bunch of players and the crop is only growing due to population, not money. But boy, we're going to miss Clucko when he's gone, and I doubt the next guy up after Rock will be as prolific.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2019, 05:03:32 PM

Did Cluxton go from talented hot head to the best keeper of all time because of money?
It's moronic nonsense to even suggest it. First, he copped himself on. Second, he worked his arse off so his god given talent could give the results that came. He's an absolute freak of a man. A genius. A nutter. A hero. Money was and is completely and utterly irrelevant.

We'd no reliable freetaker in the pre Gilroy years. Mossy Quinn, Wayne McCarthy, Johnny McNally, Ray Cosgrove and a few more were all given the job, and were all not quite reliable enough. Almost impossible to win an All Ireland without a good freetaker.
I guarantee that no player in Ireland has put more practice into freetaking that Dean Rock. Living and working in Dublin has helped that considerably. Money has been irrelevant.
We'd no reliable full back for a good few years too. Trying the likes of Barry Cahill and Denis Bastick there!
But then came along Rory O'Carroll to make an enormous difference. Money again irrelevant.

New tactics from Gavin has allowed us to get away with playing 3 corner backs since Rory moved away. I also think opposition managers may have missed a trick in not going after what I think has been Dublin's biggest weakness these last few years.

The GDOs have had practically zero influence on all Dublin hurlers and footballers. As I've said, our lads do get looked after very well, as do Mayo, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick and others. And we've no travel.

We have an amazing bunch of players and the crop is only growing due to population, not money. But boy, we're going to miss Clucko when he's gone, and I doubt the next guy up after Rock will be as prolific.

It's the other way round, you're not listening because you don't want to.

I've heard all these excuses before. The money isn't irrelevant, Cluxton is irrelevant. Was he not a genius prior to 2011? Along came a host of new players from the production line. Look up your defence from that year, that's what won you that All Ireland.

Again, these players you are talking about came through the system! They were created by top class coaching. That includes Rock, O'Carroll and a host of others. You can't have a highly financed elite player pathway put in place on one hand and then denying it had anything to do with creating elite level players on the other!

Apart from actually creating top class talent, having your underage system bankrolled has freed up funds for other areas. Hiring a professional basketball coach is one area that has paid dividends. Having a whole list of other paid coaches and backroom staff also helps.

I have provided tables which show exactly what paid coaches and a highly financed system can bring to a county. I see you've ignored the club one I just posted. Ignoring it won't make it go away. Denying millions upon millions of euro has had a huge effect on Dublin GAA is like claiming black is white.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2019, 04:43:45 PM

Of course there was a plan! This was an investment from the GAA and they wanted a return. Why do you think you've played so many games in Croke Park? Bertie got you the money, how more biased can you get. The success of Dublin has been put ahead of looking after the health of our games in all other counties. We are seeing the effect of it now and we will continue to see it.

Again, which is it? The Dublin cash cow or 31 counties funding us? Pick a line and stick with it please, you are all over the place.

Who exactly has put Dublins success ahead of the rest?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 05:19:44 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2019, 05:03:32 PM

It's the other way round, you're not listening because you don't want to.

I've heard all these excuses before. The money isn't irrelevant, Cluxton is irrelevant. Was he not a genius prior to 2011? Along came a host of new players from the production line. Look up your defence from that year, that's what won you that All Ireland.

Again, these players you are talking about came through the system! They were created by top class coaching. That includes Rock, O'Carroll and a host of others. You can't have a highly financed elite player pathway put in place on one hand and then denying it had anything to do with creating elite level players on the other!

Apart from actually creating top class talent, having your underage system bankrolled has freed up funds for other areas. Hiring a professional basketball coach is one area that has paid dividends. Having a whole list of other paid coaches and backroom staff also helps.

I have provided tables which show exactly what paid coaches and a highly financed system can bring to a county. I see you've ignored the club one I just posted. Ignoring it won't make it go away. Denying millions upon millions of euro has had a huge effect on Dublin GAA is like claiming black is white.

We are literally not denying this investment spend created these players. Every Dub has said it, but you are raning and wont listen.

The disagreement is whether Dublin drawing down funds available to every county is 'doping' or just Diblin getting its act together.

Think about what you are saying. You object to 'top class coaching'. Should we stop, get mediocre coaches involved?