The Unofficial Sunderland Thread

Started by Mentalman, January 24, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

the standard of football played last night was absolutely brutal, i know the  conditions didn't help but i just couldn't watch the full match which seems to be happening a lot especially if any of the top 4 or 5 teams are not playing.   At this stage i'd nearly prefer to watch bowls thats how bad it is. :(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

From Charlton's official site.

QuoteAlan Pardew hailed his side after they broke down a resilient Stoke City to earn a 'big, big win' at The Valley on Tuesday night.

Lloyd Sam's 83rd-minute strike saw the Addicks snatch all three points and maintain their recent good form.

And delighted Charlton boss Pardew said: "The win was obviously very important for us. I felt in the Blackpool, West Brom and Watford games that we'd played very well against players in form. But we needed to back it up with a win against Stoke.

So yes, they are at the Valley :D

Rossie11

the standard of football played last night was absolutely brutal, i know the  conditions didn't help but i just couldn't watch the full match which seems to be happening a lot especially if any of the top 4 or 5 teams are not playing

The standard of soccer in England is brutal and will continue to be brutal when chairman continue to employ managers who persist with caveman football - hoof and chase.
Pack the midfield, kick anything that moves and lump it into the box and try scramble a goal.
They normally play 4-5-1 with the hard working hitman upfront
With that style talentless players can hide as the collective hacheting normally referred to as "good team spirit" drags the standard of the match down.
Bruce, Big Sam, Warnock, Dowie etc wouldnt get a kitmans job on the continent.

As well as that it doesnt help the top teams either.
Think Man U. They can beat these teams in 2nd gear. If they want they could sit and wait for the opposition to give away the ball in midfield.
3 swift passes-- goal.. You see it every week.
When they go to europe and play the likes of a Milan where they have to work to win the ball and whose defense dont make mistakes they sometimes struggle to up the level as they have become so used to winning easily week in week out.
(Not having a go at Utd BTW I just picked them as they are the team most likely to trash these shite teams more than most)

Declan

The standard of soccer in England is brutal and will continue to be brutal when chairman continue to employ managers who persist with caveman football - hoof and chase.

agree 100% - Though to be fair to Keane he at least has Sunderland trying to pass the ball a bit. I've seen them live a couple of times in the last 12 months and he does encourage them to play- the fact that they aer incapable of doing so is another argument.l

He also said that they were pretty poor last night but that at least they won!!.

Man Utd , Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea are the only teams in the premiership who try and play the game through midfield.

Rossie11

Didnt mention Keane as am willing to give him a bit more time to prove himself.
I think Harry Redknapp has good intentions as to how the game should be played.

Billys Boots

QuoteSo yes, they are at the Valley

Wasn't having a pop AZ, I didn't know they'd escaped from Selhurst Park.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

full back

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2008, 12:45:09 PM

Jaysus billy, that wasnt today or yesterday

Billys Boots

I wasn't following the issue very closely, fullback, but I know now.  Perhaps there's something else I've missed in my stupor too.   :P

full back

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2008, 12:55:20 PM
Perhaps there's something else I've missed in my stupor too.   :P

They have been back at the valley for quite a long time billy - thought you would have realised that while watching Andy Reid  ;)

Billys Boots

Sure I didn't even know he sold pies - I was so busy watching his silky skills, he could have been playing in the Bernabeu.  ;)

full back

No point in getting involved in complex debates like this billy if you dont know all the facts ;)

Billys Boots

I was only seeking to become familiar with the facts - you'll notice I didn't get involved in the is he/isn't he good enough debate about Andy Reid.

Incidentally is he a wholesaler or a retailer, in relation to the pies?

passedit

Quote from: full back on January 30, 2008, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2008, 12:45:09 PM

Jaysus billy, that wasnt today or yesterday
Time flys by when you're getting on a bit eh Billy. They're back at least ten years maybe more. I had a season ticket there the first time they made the premiership (used live round the corner). Great wee ground now and the best sacar pub i've been in round the corner in the Bugle Horn. Also the tanning salon where the Dave Courtney/Vinnie Jones sunbed incident happened is about 100 yards from there as well.
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

Damn Billy. I thought you were having a go, and I was all smug :D

full back

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2008, 01:08:39 PM
Incidentally is he a wholesaler or a retailer, in relation to the pies?

It would be quite easy to think he is a wholesaler or a retailer, but the reality of it is he buys them up for personal comsumption ;)