Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Godin wouldn't have tried to flick the ball over the attacker's head as a last man. Fcuk sake.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Trap

Only arsenal could concede against a team who had given up even trying to score!

Windmill abu

Arsenal still well in this tie. Lacazette starting to look like a quality player with possibly a few leadership qualities. Hopefully the new manager will stop giving the likes of Wiltshire & Wellbeck unlimited chances because they are English.

If Arsenal are serious about competing for the premiership, then they can't have someone as unreliable as Wiltshire as a first choice mid-fielder.  Its time he went the way of Theo and the Ox.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Syferus

Quote from: Windmill abu on April 26, 2018, 11:15:09 PM
Arsenal still well in this tie. Lacazette starting to look like a quality player with possibly a few leadership qualities. Hopefully the new manager will stop giving the likes of Wiltshire & Wellbeck unlimited chances because they are English.

If Arsenal are serious about competing for the premiership, then they can't have someone as unreliable as Wiltshire as a first choice mid-fielder.  Its time he went the way of Theo and the Ox.

You do know he's out of contract in a month, right?

Windmill abu

Yes, but Arsenal have already offered him a new contract (albeit at reduced wages). Time to withdraw the offer and let him go.

Syferus

Quote from: Windmill abu on April 26, 2018, 11:21:31 PM
Yes, but Arsenal have already offered him a new contract (albeit at reduced wages). Time to withdraw the offer and let him go.

If you can get him at squad rotation prices it's good business. It's not like Jesse Lingard is pulling up any trees and he got near 100k a week on a multi-year deal this season. The big clubs in Europe are littered with squad players like Wilshere.

Windmill abu

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2018, 11:32:20 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on April 26, 2018, 11:21:31 PM

If you can get him at squad rotation prices it's good business. It's not like Jesse Lingard is pulling up any trees and he got near 100k a week on a multi-year deal this season. The big clubs in Europe are littered with squad players like Wilshere.

I agree that squad rotation players at good prices is good business. But Jack Wilshire has had enough chances to prove himself at the top level. Keeping him as a sub or league/fa cup player, knowing he won't be good enough for the Arsenal first team is unfair to him and the other players trying for that position.  When you use the the word littered about Wilshire, I beleive you know the same.

ONeill

But Wilshere is all he has for the run in. Somehow get the best out of him. The new manager will clear out some rubbish.

I think the new man has a bigger job than Wenger had in 96/97.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2018, 12:27:28 AM
But Wilshere is all he has for the run in. Somehow get the best out of him. The new manager will clear out some rubbish.

I think the new man has a bigger job than Wenger had in 96/97.

Ya wha. Arsenal is a money printing machine with more than a few quaility players up front. The successor will have a hard job following Wenger but the health of the club is is way better than it was when he arrived.

Maroon Manc

The journo's seem to think there's about £50m to spend this summer plus what they bring in. I don't see that been too appealing to a new manager. Looking at that Arsenal squad they'll do well to make top 4 next season based on that transfer budget. I don't think they've got too many players who a new manager would want to get rid of who would generate a decent transfer fee. 

Arsenal's wage bill is extremely high for a club who've not had a great team in over 10 years, their must be several players at the club in too much money. It looks so much worse when their wage bill is 50% more than Spurs.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 27, 2018, 11:26:54 AM
The journo's seem to think there's about £50m to spend this summer plus what they bring in. I don't see that been too appealing to a new manager. Looking at that Arsenal squad they'll do well to make top 4 next season based on that transfer budget. I don't think they've got too many players who a new manager would want to get rid of who would generate a decent transfer fee. 

Arsenal's wage bill is extremely high for a club who've not had a great team in over 10 years, their must be several players at the club in too much money. It looks so much worse when their wage bill is 50% more than Spurs.

Ah yes the Man United way, spend big money on buying shit players, repeat. As Klopp has shown a good coach can make perceived average players into good players. The Ox being a prime example. A couple of astute signings with a coach not afraid to be defensive will easily take that squad into the top 4.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2018, 11:54:32 AM

Ah yes the Man United way, spend big money on buying shit players, repeat. As Klopp has shown a good coach can make perceived average players into good players. The Ox being a prime example. A couple of astute signings with a coach not afraid to be defensive will easily take that squad into the top 4.

I agree on a good coach but getting one is the problem, who is available that is as good as Klopp? You can see the problems United have had since Fergie left, gone through 2 different managers to get to the right one.

Klopp has bought well but has managed to raise well over £200m from player sales to finance it, I just don't see where who Arsenal are going to sell to raise anything near that.

As for Arsenal's squad, the table doesn't lie and a good gap has developed in quality to the rest of the top 6. Arsenal need more than a couple of astute signings.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 27, 2018, 12:04:01 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2018, 11:54:32 AM

I agree on a good coach but getting one is the problem, who is available that is as good as Klopp? You can see the problems United have had since Fergie left, gone through 2 different managers to get to the right one.

Klopp has bought well but has managed to raise well over £200m from player sales to finance it, I just don't see where who Arsenal are going to sell to raise anything near that.

As for Arsenal's squad, the table doesn't lie and a good gap has developed in quality to the rest of the top 6. Arsenal need more than a couple of astute signings.

A manager has a wish list of players he wants, how much is that his control nowadays?

Does Klopp have full control over transfers? I'd be surprised if he does (I could be corrected)... What Klopp has been brilliant at is changing these players into something else, or getting another 30/40% extra from them.. For me thats the sign of a great manager, all well and good at getting the best players, gelling them together to make a team, is totaly different
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

The Greek lad and Maitlin Niles were solid yesterday. Xhaka though...

mrdeeds

Quote from: Puckoon on April 30, 2018, 06:42:57 PM
The Greek lad and Maitlin Niles were solid yesterday. Xhaka though...

Xhaka was actually good though. I'd take Souness with a pinch of salt. He said Arsenal have not got close to Utd in recent years even though this will be the first time in a while Utd finish above Arsenal.