The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on October 22, 2018, 09:45:26 PM
Quote from: Gmac on October 22, 2018, 08:45:23 PM
How should the approaching caravan of 10/15k from Central America be dealt with ? Any thoughts

Let the CBP do their job. Process the asylum claims.

(Unless they're approaching like a battalion of marines, as Trump would have his supporters believe).
how do you process a group that large?
how do you house them in the meantime? where?
I think no matter how this is dealt with the administration will look bad. There's no easy or entirely adequate way to handle this based on the sheer volume of people and the resulting cost and strain on resources.... its a lose:lose situation
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on October 22, 2018, 10:08:27 PM
How should the approaching caravan of 10/15k from Central America be dealt with ? Any thoughts

(Unless they're approaching like a battalion of marines, as Trump would have his supporters believe).
I think no matter how this is dealt with the administration will look bad. There's no easy or entirely adequate way to handle this based on the sheer volume of people and the resulting cost and strain on resources.... its a lose:lose situation

Not for Trump.

He is trying to whip up hysteria for political purposes.

And if he really gave a f**k, he has time to get organized to handle things somewhat humanely, in concert with the Mexicans and the State of Texas. Unfortunately he just wants a political football so he win the election.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on October 23, 2018, 12:24:47 AM

Not for Trump.

And if he really gave a f**k, he has time to get organized to handle things somewhat humanely, in concert with the Mexicans and the State of Texas. Unfortunately he just wants a political football so he win the election.

It Won't sit well in TX or AZ. While they were trending Red already, this might be the nail in the coffin for O Rourke and Sinema, all but handing Republicans the Senate

seafoid

Not for Trump.

Trump wants to isolate Iran via sanctions. This means taking Iranian oil off the market. The oil price has been rising as a result. The Saudis have to step in to replace Iran's contribution. Khashoggi might get in the way. The poorest 40% of Americans already got no benefit from their tax cut due to gas rises. Do you cut back on beer or the kids new gear. It's a big decision in a town called malice for the midterms.
If oil goes to $100 it is going to hit Trumpland in the nuts.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: whitey on October 23, 2018, 12:42:21 AM

Not for Trump.

It Won't sit well in TX or AZ. While they were trending Red already, this might be the nail in the coffin for O Rourke and Sinema, all but handing Republicans the Senate

The Senate is not changing hands.

I'll be delighted if Tester holds on. Need more like him in the Senate.

omochain

Quote from: whitey on October 22, 2018, 06:51:05 PM
Quote from: omochain on October 22, 2018, 06:38:08 PM

If youre a white independent conservative, your taxes have gone down, your 401k has gone up and your house has appreciated under two years of Trump

Obama did that for 8 years straight. But he's not white ....so it does not count.

Nice attempt at playing the race card
Whitey.. White conservative who's playing race card.

I said a large slice of who the Dems rely on for votes saw no improvement in their situation under 8 years of Obama so may not be moivated to vote.

My taxes did not go down under Obama.
Cannot speak for you but everyone else's did.

My 401k went up, but it has skyrocketed under Trump.
If you had a 401k in 2008 and still have it, then it increased substantially more under Obama than it did under Trump. If you are smart you will readjust it real soon. When the market comes off the Trump GOP "Sugar high" it is on currently it will retrench substantially.

But believe whatever you want and continue viewing everything through the race lens.....it's worked out real well for you so far!
Do not understand what you are talking about here. If you are referring to my admiration for a decent smart President who drove the US out of the economic ditch that the GOP drove it into I don't think I'm the one looking through a race lens.
And don't be coming back at me with your not GOP when every thing you spout is straight out of their hymnal.

Gabriel_Hurl

Any of our American based posters been up to Westchester County lately?

QuoteAn explosive device was found on Monday near the Westchester County home of George Soros, the billionaire philanthropist who is a favorite target of right-wing groups, according to a law enforcement official.

The device did not explode on its own, and bomb squad technicians "proactively detonated" it, the official said.

Federal and state law enforcement officials responded to the scene in Katonah, N.Y., a hamlet in the upscale town of Bedford in northern Westchester.

The Bedford Police Department and the Westchester County Department of Public Safety said Monday night that they were investigating at that location. The police declined to answer questions but said that a hazardous device unit had been requested.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 23, 2018, 06:02:26 AM

QuoteAn explosive device was found on Monday near the Westchester County home of George Soros, the billionaire philanthropist who is a favorite target of right-wing groups, according to a law enforcement official.

The device did not explode on its own, and bomb squad technicians "proactively detonated" it, the official said.

Federal and state law enforcement officials responded to the scene in Katonah, N.Y., a hamlet in the upscale town of Bedford in northern Westchester.

The Bedford Police Department and the Westchester County Department of Public Safety said Monday night that they were investigating at that location. The police declined to answer questions but said that a hazardous device unit had been requested.

I'm sure Whitey has his alibi sorted out!

heganboy

If that were actually true you might need a new accountant and a financial advisor.

How the hell have your taxes gone down under Trump? How much capital have you? Mustn't work for a living, that must be nice..

I do agree with you about the Dems sleep walking, this race is far from won. Remember all politics are local and people believe whatever they want, and what they believe is very rarely the truth, especially in this clowns presidency.

John Cheese made some good points today about the witless evangelists, but then again, that arguing with religious fanatics using reason and logic, which is a fools errand...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Insane Bolt

Surely the wall is built by now😳

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on October 23, 2018, 07:47:25 AM

If that were actually true you might need a new accountant and a financial advisor.

How the hell have your taxes gone down under Trump? How much capital have you? Mustn't work for a living, that must be nice..

I do agree with you about the Dems sleep walking, this race is far from won. Remember all politics are local and people believe whatever they want, and what they believe is very rarely the truth, especially in this clowns presidency.

John Cheese made some good points today about the witless evangelists, but then again, that arguing with religious fanatics using reason and logic, which is a fools errand...

For starters all indications from my accountant tell me that I won't get clobbered by AMT this year.

Here are the changes proposed for 2018. 

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/19/who-wins-and-who-loses-tax-bill/

Believe what you want

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on October 23, 2018, 09:10:08 AM
Quote from: heganboy on October 23, 2018, 07:47:25 AM

For starters all indications from my accountant tell me that I won't get clobbered by AMT this year.

Here are the changes proposed for 2018. 

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/19/who-wins-and-who-loses-tax-bill/

Believe what you want
Is climate change a matter of opinion ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 23, 2018, 06:49:44 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 23, 2018, 06:02:26 AM

I'm sure Whitey has his alibi sorted out!

Wasn't me officer.  Believe what you want.

heganboy

Ah, so you assume that your taxes will be less is what you're saying?

And that sky rocketing 401k?

What's your sectoral bias, military supplies?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on October 23, 2018, 04:49:23 PM
Ah, so you assume that your taxes will be less is what you're saying?

And that sky rocketing 401k?

What's your sectoral bias, military supplies?

According to my accountant of 20 years.....yes, I will likely avoid or have significantly reduced AMT in 2018. 

And he is a CPA and has over 35 years experience doing taxes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/taxes/2018/02/05/how-the-alternative-minimum-tax-is-changing-in-201.aspx