The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/05/michael-wolff-trump-steve-bannon-book-fire-and-fury

Wolff added: "I will tell you the one description that everyone gave, everyone has in common. They all say, 'He is like a child,' and what they mean by that is he has a need for immediate gratification. It's all about him. He just has to be satisfied in the moment.

"They say he's a moron, an idiot. Actually, there's a competition to sort of get to the bottom line here of who this man is. Let's remember, this man does not read, does not listen, so he's like a pinball just shooting off the sides."

whitey

And Hillary still couldn't beat him.....show what happens when you rig your own primary and then have the lame stream media pump up the oppositions clown candidates (because they are the only ones you can beat)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 03:11:56 PM
And Hillary still couldn't beat him.....show what happens when you rig your own primary and then have the lame stream media pump up the oppositions clown candidates (because they are the only ones you can beat)

This is the thought that echoed round my head as I read the extracts from the Wolff book.

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 05, 2018, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 01:25:55 PM
Quote from: maigheo on January 05, 2018, 01:13:21 PM
MSNBC are not backtracking on the book.On of there contributors is quoting a White House staffer as saying that even if the book is not entirely true the spirit of it is true.

So if a book came out containing untruths about Hillary, do you think the lame stream media would be lauding the spirit of the accusations?

Fox News sure seem to take Clinton Cash as gospel - like yourself and a few others on here  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Ehhh.....I haven't watched or listened to Fox News in years. MSNBC and the WSJ are my main sources of information

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 05, 2018, 03:14:10 PM

This is the thought that echoed round my head as I read the extracts from the Wolff book.

You only had to listen to Trump for about 20 seconds to realize he was a complete fvckin moron. He has probably never read a book in his adult life, not dissimilar to W.

I protest voted for Jill Stein as there was no way I could vote for Hillary or Trump (I don't live in a swing state so my vote doesn't really count). A lot of people in Ireland don't realize that for many in the he States voting for Hillary would be like voting for Charlie Haughey or Bertie Ahern.

heganboy

Quote from: Main Street on January 05, 2018, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: heganboy on January 05, 2018, 01:39:19 AM
Wolff's book is good comedy. However short of evidence he may be. A bit like the X files, I want to believe, but I find that without evidence, it's just a story. One of many, admittedly, but still just a story...
Do you understand the term "evidence"?  Wolff's transcripts of  recorded  interviews are evidence,  using quotes from video and audio recorded interviews from other journalists are evidence. Analysis of evidence from different witnesses  over a period of time and of the timeline of recorded events,  is one method to  determine the quality and consistency of that evidence.

If you have an opinion that the book is a work of fiction then please inform more about this,
as this sentence doesn't quite cut the mustard "However short of evidence he may be."

Main Street, the book and the sources have been alluded to but not shared. At the time of booking of these posts the book itself hadn't even been published. I think you'll find my use of the conditional "he may be" to be entirely grammatically correct, and also the paragraphs conditional dependent clause "without evidence" to be also correct.

So while I enjoy your posts, and your positions, you'll forgive my response to "do you understand the word evidence" being "do you really understand English?"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 03:20:30 PM

You only had to listen to Trump for about 20 seconds to realize he was a complete fvckin moron. He has probably never read a book in his adult life, not dissimilar to W.

I protest voted for Jill Stein as there was no way I could vote for Hillary or Trump (I don't live in a swing state so my vote doesn't really count). A lot of people in Ireland don't realize that for many in the he States voting for Hillary would be like voting for Charlie Haughey or Bertie Ahern.

I think the stronger reason to consider voting third party (at least if one is in a non-competitive state) is to try to get some third party  5% of the vote, and thus be eligible for federal funding for future elections, giving them some chance to build a real third party.  Longshot, of course, but there are limited options.

"Indeed 5 percent is the milestone set by the Federal Election Commission to be eligible for the Presidential Election Campaign Fund's grant. The amount of public funding available to the minor party candidate is based on the the ratio of the party's popular vote in the preceding presidential election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in that election.

If the libertarian candidate in the 2008 election had received 5 percent of the vote, Gary Johnson would have received approximately $9.5 million from the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. As of today, Governor Johnson has raised $2.3 million for his campaign, more than three times less than what he would have started with. If he had the additional grant money, he could have been on the ballot in every state, and would have been able to pursue a larger scale campaign."

https://ivn.us/2012/11/01/why-5-matters-to-gary-johnson/

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 03:20:30 PM

I don't think W, bad as he was, was anywhere near the ignorant clown that Trump is. I found much of his politics and rhetoric highly objectionable, but he was still within the norms of a fairly standard GOP politician, even if not exactly brilliant in terms of IQ. Any number of GOP candidates last time out would have not been out of step with what Bush brought to the table.

Trump is unprecedented in his self-delusion and self-unawareness and dangerous, clueless, arrogance and, hopefully, a once off.

seafoid

J70

Quote from: seafoid on January 05, 2018, 04:28:46 PM
Bush was wrong within the normal parameters of wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRa33Zy4vM

Succinctly put!

I like PJ O'Rourke. Very funny man!

seafoid

@AmarAmarasingam

Pretty convincing evidence here that Trump is simply live-tweeting Fox News a lot of the time. "He is not trying to distract the media. He is being distracted." (link: http://politi.co/2Av9v0f) politi.co/2Av9v0f

seafoid

This is very good. Over to foxy

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-01-04/bannon-s-treason-charge-is-milder-than-money-laundering?
The Trump family has had longstanding real estate and licensing dealings with questionable business associates, some of them Russian and some of them not, as I and reporters like the late Wayne Barrett have written about for years. The family's recent departure from its ill-fated Trump SoHo hotel project, and its partnership with career criminals like Felix Sater, are reminders of how problematic some of those deals will be in the context of Mueller's investigation.

While Trump allies have recently targeted Mueller's probe as ill-founded, tainted with prosecutorial bias, and the work of a conspiracy orchestrated with Democratic partisans and the "deep state," the reality is that Mueller — a well-regarded, veteran prosecutor — has been running a by-the-books investigation.

It's an investigation that is likely to continue examining matters beyond political collusion — which Mueller's original mandate allows for — and will continue to involve explorations of financial dealings by the Trump family and members of the Trump campaign (particularly those involving Russia).

Bannon knows this, and his comments to Wolff show that he knows how devastating all of it could be to Trump and his children.

The speed and intemperance of Trump's counterpunches suggest that the president probably feels himself at risk, too. There were many reasons Trump may have had for lashing out, of course. Bannon painted him as someone surrounded by ignorant, scheming relatives, lacking any interest in governing, pursuing the presidency as a marketing lark, and an empty vessel that others could fill with their own ideas — in other words, exactly the guy who's been occupying the Oval Office for the last year.

Bannon's (and Wolff's) stuff was so compelling that it became a thing on social media on Wednesday, drowning out much of the chatter Trump sparked the night before when he tweeted that his nuclear arsenal was "bigger & more powerful" than North Korea's.

It never takes long for the president to lash back when someone makes the mistake of criticizing him, belittling the First Family or usurping the spotlight. Bannon hit the trifecta and did all three.

Bannon knows that Donald Jr. and Kushner are potential liabilities for the president, especially in the context of a sophisticated money-laundering probe. And he also knows how ill-equipped the White House is to contend with the legal hurdles and financial inquiries that lie ahead of it. He knows all of this, even if he has lost his mind. That's why the president wants to shut him up and shut him down.

whitey

I'm all for the Russia probe.....let Mueller also look at Russian funding of the Clinton Foundation.

After all he's investigating Russian interference in the election, not just Trumps ties to Russia

I would also be very interested in the warrants that led to the wiretapping of the Trump campaign and transition team. If the now discredited Fusion GPS Memo is even referenced in the warrant all he'll is going to break loose.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
I'm all for the Russia probe.....let Mueller also look at Russian funding of the Clinton Foundation.

After all he's investigating Russian interference in the election, not just Trumps ties to Russia

I would also be very interested in the warrants that led to the wiretapping of the Trump campaign and transition team. If the now discredited Fusion GPS Memo is even referenced in the warrant all he'll is going to break loose.

Discredited by who? Fusion GPS are calling for Congress to release ALL of the transcripts from their testimony, not just the favourable-to-Trump drips.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/opinion/republicans-investigation-fusion-gps.html

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2018, 01:11:14 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 05, 2018, 10:57:33 PM

Discredited by who? Fusion GPS are calling for Congress to release ALL of the transcripts from their testimony, not just the favourable-to-Trump drips.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/opinion/republicans-investigation-fusion-gps.html

Believe what you want

Why are GPS Fusio resisting the financial disclosures if there's nothing to hide?

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/homenews/house/367525-judge-allows-house-intel-panel-to-subpoena-fusion-gpss-financial-records%3famp