Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteWhy?

Most people here were saying Kerry would be well beaten. Loads of 'experts' said Mayo lost their chance against Dublin in drawn All Irelands yet every time Mayo played this Dublin team in an All Ireland they went toe to toe and competed all the way. No reason Kerry can't go again.

Dublin are a great team and they've the ability to put any team to the sword. At times in the drawn game they looked set to pull away from Kerry but Kerry left a lot of scores behind them too and had they taken those it would have been a big mountain for Dublin to climb when they did get on top.

I think people are reading too much into Dublin's performance with 14. That's not evidence that they would have beaten Kerry with 15 rather it's evidence of the character, bravery, organisation and tactical nous of this Dublin team that they could still play as if they had 15 when a man short. I don't think any other team would have survived against Kerry with 14 players but I don't think Dublin would have been significantly better with 15, Cluxton just wouldn't have been marking Tommy Walsh!

As with the first day, Dublin are rightly favourites and if there's to be an easy winner it will be them but Jack Barry will cause Fenton the same problems his caused every time they've matched up, Moran is still Fenton's only real contender for best midfielder in Ireland and Geaney, Clifford, O'Se and O'Brien are still capable to tearing Dublin's defence to shreds.

The replay should be another great game and I'll be looking forward to it once again.

I went for the draw as a prediction myself but you are living in fantasy land if you think the replay will be close. This time around Dublin will blitz Kerry in the first 10 minutes, there will be no arm signals the next day to slow things down. The replay will be over at half time. It was obvious to anyone watching it that had it been 15 v 15 for the whole match Dublin would've won by a comfortable 7 to 8 points.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Zulu

Wouldn't agree with that at all. While it was 15 v 15 Dublin cleared a ball off the line, saved a penalty, a Kerry point skimmed the bar and Clifford missed two very scorable points but yeah, all the evidence is Dublin would have won 15 v 15!! Yes, Dublin came much more into it as the game went on and there were times when the Kerry defence were hanging on but it's ridiculous to say if it had been 15 a side Dublin would have won by 7 or 8. Games have ups and downs and there's nothing to suggest Kerry wouldn't have had their periods on top again.

Sure if Tyrone has a player sent off in the first half of the semi final you'd be saying Kerry would have been beaten by 10 points if it hadn't happened yet without a sending off they turned it around and beat Tyrone well in the second half.

We were told Kerry would be blitzed in the first game and they weren't and I doubt they will in the second game either. 

Dire Ear

I'd agree with Zulu,  Kerry will be much better the next day;  of course Dublin will improve but Kerry for me, goals galore! ............( unfortunately! )

tyrone08

Quote from: Zulu on September 04, 2019, 02:53:48 PM
Wouldn't agree with that at all. While it was 15 v 15 Dublin cleared a ball off the line, saved a penalty, a Kerry point skimmed the bar and Clifford missed two very scorable points but yeah, all the evidence is Dublin would have won 15 v 15!! Yes, Dublin came much more into it as the game went on and there were times when the Kerry defence were hanging on but it's ridiculous to say if it had been 15 a side Dublin would have won by 7 or 8. Games have ups and downs and there's nothing to suggest Kerry wouldn't have had their periods on top again.

Sure if Tyrone has a player sent off in the first half of the semi final you'd be saying Kerry would have been beaten by 10 points if it hadn't happened yet without a sending off they turned it around and beat Tyrone well in the second half.

We were told Kerry would be blitzed in the first game and they weren't and I doubt they will in the second game either.

Dublin were leading by 4 points for most of the 2nd half with 14 men. Could easily have been 7 points with 15 men.

Yes Kerry missed a few goal chances including the penalty but that was because it was a crap taken penalty. Cant see kerry getting the same chances again but I hope I am wrong. Not sure if Kerry even had a shot in the last 12 min so they have a lot to work on

highorlow

QuoteWe were told Kerry would be blitzed in the first game and they weren't and I doubt they will in the second game either.

Time will tell, obviously as a Dub fan there is no need to point out the hammerings Dublin have handed out to teams after half time in games....

Results this year back this up:

HT - Kildare 4 down, lost by 14
HT - Meath  4 down, lost by 16
HT - Cork 6 down, lost by 13
HT - Roscommon, forget this one
HT-  Mayo 2 up, lost by 10.

This trend would have been maintained had there been 15 v 15 for the whole game, Kerry may only have lost by 7 though as they are the second best squad in Ireland now.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

priceyreilly

Can we just call out how f**king embarrassing it is for Dublin not to be walking these All Ireland's? Coming up on 50 million euro spent on professional coaches used to increase participation, increase standards in clubs and direct elite talent into the right channels. Millions more spent on staff overseeing all of this, a few hundred million spent on the stadium they play nearly every championship match in, millions in sponsorship money which includes free cars, free insurance, free meals etc and then, of course, millions spent on senior team preparation. On top of this, they have a far higher population to everyone else, their players have every opportunity to work and study at home so don't have to travel, they basically have every advantage you could ever possibly dream of. They are practically a professional outfit, they should be destroying every county, they should be winning hurling All Ireland's, they should be winning every competition they enter. Like I said, that they aren't is humiliating for them.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on September 04, 2019, 01:41:11 PM
Why?

Most people here were saying Kerry would be well beaten. Loads of 'experts' said Mayo lost their chance against Dublin in drawn All Irelands yet every time Mayo played this Dublin team in an All Ireland they went toe to toe and competed all the way. No reason Kerry can't go again.

Dublin are a great team and they've the ability to put any team to the sword. At times in the drawn game they looked set to pull away from Kerry but Kerry left a lot of scores behind them too and had they taken those it would have been a big mountain for Dublin to climb when they did get on top.

I think people are reading too much into Dublin's performance with 14. That's not evidence that they would have beaten Kerry with 15 rather it's evidence of the character, bravery, organisation and tactical nous of this Dublin team that they could still play as if they had 15 when a man short. I don't think any other team would have survived against Kerry with 14 players but I don't think Dublin would have been significantly better with 15, Cluxton just wouldn't have been marking Tommy Walsh!

As with the first day, Dublin are rightly favourites and if there's to be an easy winner it will be them but Jack Barry will cause Fenton the same problems his caused every time they've matched up, Moran is still Fenton's only real contender for best midfielder in Ireland and Geaney, Clifford, O'Se and O'Brien are still capable to tearing Dublin's defence to shreds.

The replay should be another great game and I'll be looking forward to it once again.

Mayo played all of the 2nd half of the AI semi final v Kerry in 2014 with 14 and Kerry only nicked a draw late on when 5 points down with 67 mins played. It was a more experienced Kerry team than the current one with the likes of M O'Se,A O'Mahony,A Maher,,D Walsh,J Buckley all starting.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyCake

If the replay finishes in a draw, will extra time be played?

And is it another replay if level after ET?

Blowitupref

Quote from: BennyCake on September 04, 2019, 03:52:23 PM
If the replay finishes in a draw, will extra time be played?

And is it another replay if level after ET?
Will be extra time and another replay if level after extra time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 04, 2019, 03:33:05 PM
Why?

Mayo played all of the 2nd half of the AI semi final v Kerry in 2014 with 14 and Kerry only nicked a draw late on when 5 points down with 67 mins played. It was a more experienced Kerry team than the current one with the likes of M O'Se,A O'Mahony,A Maher,,D Walsh,J Buckley all starting.

That's five years ago and this is a very different Kerry team. But look, it's speculation to say whether another team would have survived with 14 against this Kerry team last Sunday. My view is they wouldn't but we'll never really know.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on September 04, 2019, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 04, 2019, 03:33:05 PM
Why?

That's five years ago and this is a very different Kerry team. But look, it's speculation to say whether another team would have survived with 14 against this Kerry team last Sunday. My view is they wouldn't but we'll never really know.

The main difference is this current Kerry team are more inexperienced. Do you think Kerry managed that game well for the final ten minutes (3 mins of normal time and 7 of injury time) when they led by a point?  To me it looked like the fear of losing overtook the desire to win.

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin had their now usual slow start to the game which Kerry probably should have taken more advantage off but by the time of the red card I thought they had firmly taken control of proceedings and were likely heading to a fairly comfortable win had they avoided it.

Don't know why Dublin always seem to start games so slowly but one day it will cost them. It might have even been last Sunday had Kerry been a bit more clinical.

weareros

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 04, 2019, 04:54:17 PM
Dublin had their now usual slow start to the game which Kerry probably should have taken more advantage off but by the time of the red card I thought they had firmly taken control of proceedings and were likely heading to a fairly comfortable win had they avoided it.

Don't know why Dublin always seem to start games so slowly but one day it will cost them. It might have even been last Sunday had Kerry been a bit more clinical.

I thought Dublin's goal, thought brilliant, was against the run of play at the time and was a very poor goal for Kerry to concede. It settled Dublin. I would question how much they were in control until then. I am also not convinced 15 v 15 will make the big difference many pundits seem to think, as Kerry can do what no other team can do against Dublin and play the game at speed. That will continue to trouble Dublin backs and there's big room for improvement with Kerry forwards. That said: both teams have room for improvement and it will swing on who gets the most out of their top players.

tonto1888

I thought it would be close but Dublin would pull away in the last 10-15 mins. Did the fact they weee down to 14 prevent them? Who knows. Kerry played very well and limited some of Dublin's star men. You have to give them credit. I think Fenton was playing with an injury tho.
Fort eh replay I am going to keep faith with my original prediction. Close but Dublin to pull away with ten to go. I don't think Kerry will keep Mannion and Con as quiet again

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 04, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
I thought it would be close but Dublin would pull away in the last 10-15 mins. Did the fact they weee down to 14 prevent them? Who knows. Kerry played very well and limited some of Dublin's star men. You have to give them credit. I think Fenton was playing with an injury tho.
Fort eh replay I am going to keep faith with my original prediction. Close but Dublin to pull away with ten to go. I don't think Kerry will keep Mannion and Con as quiet again
I think Jack was bursting for one at half time.

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1168180821737529345