Looking forward to Laois in 2016

Started by Tony, October 14, 2015, 08:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

So, we have a new man at the helm. It won't we long at all now until the new season comes around. Will it be more of the same? Or will we see a sea change in Laois, seeing solid progress and success? Here is a team that I'd like to see in the league. All we can hope for is that we're the best we can be :

Brody,
Healy timmons Keogh
O Connor Begley C Begley
O Loughlin Quigley
Bruno (!) Boyle O Carroll
Cahilane Donie K Ross.

Any thoughts? Your team for 2016? Any new additions after the county championship?

beano

Can't see Ross making the first 15 next year. His pace is gone. I'd rather see him retire and be remembered as the best forward Laois ever produced. Id have meradith in the team. New manager or Not  the forwards will be much the same as laois year and to be honest there isnt much wrong with that.  We might get Kieran Lillis to commit who would be a great option at centre back.

My team would be: Broady , Booth/ Paul begley, Timmons, attride, strong, lillis, begley, Quigley, JOL, Donagher, Meridith , Paul Kingston, O'Carroll, Donie ,Shiels/O'Connor/Walsh/ Evan Costello

goal 10

Reading what brian O'driscoll said on the paper today about coaching,
that's why i say it's very important to get a top coach on the management team with Lillis

Looking on at the current crop and the meticulous attention to detail instilled from Joe Schmidt and his management team, Ireland's record try scorer believes the team are reaping the rewards of astute coaching in every area.

"That's where coaching becomes such a huge aspect," he added.

"You can see what really good coaching is doing to this Ireland team

Gmac

We know we will be in the qualifiers by early June anyway , hard to get fired up about championship when you know that if you win the first round game the second round will be about damage limitation and keeping within 20 pts of Dublin  , unfortunate but true

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Have to agree, money and resources are what's eventually going to kill this great game that we all love.
We might have some good players but we are a bit short on the money side and ditto on the resources. The GAA are going to have to pump money into weaker counties or at least try to limit what the stronger counties are taking in from interested parties....

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

We've kept well within 20 of Dublin the last 3 or 4 times we've played them. They haven't given us a hiding like some other teams have received. Lest we forget we actually went in leading at half time the last time we played them.

Lets see what the numbers are like for the start of the year and give Lilis his chance.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tony

GAA Football Leinster Championship 2016 Draw

First Round

Laois v Wicklow

Louth v Carlow

Longford v Offaly

Quarter-Finals

Dublin v Laois/Wicklow

Louth/Carlow v Meath

Longford/Offaly v Westmeath

Wexford v Kildare

Semi-Finals

Laois/Wicklow/Dublin v Louth/Carlow/Meath

Longford/Offaly/Westmeath v Wexford/Kildare

Tony

Here we go again :). At least put that match in O'Moore Park. Make it interesting. Get a full crowd in there. I see why they want to make it Croke Park, because of capacity, but something needs to change. Put it in O'Moore Park and it changes from a potential 20point defeat to a possible upset.

Thewildcat

yes it would be good to get Dublin out of croker but lets be real here,  let it be portaloise with laois, tullamore with offaly, navan with meath theres not a chance in hell that either of them teams will beat Dublin these times, don't fool ourselfs laois will be coming off a championship defeat to division 4 side Antrim to playing all ireland football champions who will have at least 3 or 4 more young players biteing at the bit to play. its not just laois let me add the other counties in leinster would do no better.   it is was it 2006 since Dublin were playing out side of croke.  here one for you when was the last time Dublin were beaten outside of croker in leinster............   ;)

portlaoisekid

Quote from: beano on October 14, 2015, 07:48:19 PM
Can't see Ross making the first 15 next year. His pace is gone. I'd rather see him retire and be remembered as the best forward Laois ever produced. Id have meradith in the team. New manager or Not  the forwards will be much the same as laois year and to be honest there isnt much wrong with that.  We might get Kieran Lillis to commit who would be a great option at centre back.

My team would be: Broady , Booth/ Paul begley, Timmons, attride, strong, lillis, begley, Quigley, JOL, Donagher, Meridith , Paul Kingston, O'Carroll, Donie ,Shiels/O'Connor/Walsh/ Evan Costello
I have nothing but respect for Ross and IMO is still nailed on for a starting position with Laois. On a seperate note , IMO he is not our greatest forward, not by a clear distance.

maccer

Best forward ever is all about opinions. Great time for Ross. Should be very proud of his career and we should be very thankful to have had him....my opinion the one and only Curly..pure genius

Tony

Let's not get into a discussion about best forward! Jaysus. it's just like musical taste, each indiidual has their preference. Let's leave it at that. Damien Goggie Delaney though  ;D ;D :D 8)

maccer

beano

I have never seen curly play, but has he given 12/13 years service to Laois like ross? Also we has been one of the star forwards in the country over a ten year period. Its a disgrace that munnelly never got an all-star. also he basically carried us to a 1/4 in 2006 and 2012. I rem my father saying that curly would not play with laois in 1985 (some things never change with laois players!) and laois would have won with him playing, cant rem ross ever letting us down on that front. Having potential like curley is one thing but delivering on the big day is another thing altogether. In my opinion Ross did that for us in championship football which is why I think he is our greatest. People might think im mad but the period between 2003 and 2012 will go down as one of our better periods by Laois standards.

Tony

It'd be really nice to get Tuohy back for 2016!

Imagine : Healy, Tuohy, Begley, Kingston, O' Loughlin, Timmons, Quigley, Munnelly, Strong - the best players in the county in my opinion. All of these lads would get on almost every county in the country - and theres 9 players there. I don't care what people say, we still have very strong talent in Laois.