Cardinal Sean Brady: Stop GAA matches on Sunday mornings

Started by whiskeysteve, August 02, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

I don't post here as often as I would have in the past, but surely the level of debate has not sunk to the levels we are witnessing here, or is this simply par for the course nowadays?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 02, 2011, 07:12:03 PM
I'm struggling to recall any bulk round of fixtures in either football or hurling in Tyrone that was played on a Sunday morning. The Ladies Football CB have scheduled the very odd game over the years for a noon throw-in on Sundays but they're almost always refixtures late in the season in a hurry to get it all sorted before winter approaches.

Me thinks the Cardinal is trying to pull a "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty..."

Maybe he is on about underage football or junior football.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Maguire01

The story ran the BBC today as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14373920

The deputy editor of The Irish Catholic Newspaper:
"With the best will in the world, if you ask an 11-year-old young fella or girl what they want to choose, I don't think there will be much of a decision."

As if an 11 year old would choose Mass if the football wasn't on.  ::)

Jinxy

I used to sit in mass day-dreaming about scoring the winning goal in an All-Ireland final.
Some days it'd be with the left, other days with right.
Some days I'd slide it along the grass, other days I'd bury it in the top corner.
I think I scored with a bicycle kick during one particularly boring mass.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

This letter was rather unwise and 1950ish. But that is no justification for some of the off the wall comment here.

The GAA is part of the community and should try and avoid clashes with other local events, as far as practicable. Some parents may have preferred not to be put in an either/or situation, perhaps for the sake of a 30min change.

Bit of a storm in a teacup, I suggest.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on August 02, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
This letter was rather unwise and 1950ish. But that is no justification for some of the off the wall comment here.

The GAA is part of the community and should try and avoid clashes with other local events, as far as practicable. Some parents may have preferred not to be put in an either/or situation, perhaps for the sake of a 30min change.

No they should not schedule football matches to suit any of the churches, maybe Mass should be moved to thursday morning.

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2011, 08:34:59 PM
I used to sit in mass day-dreaming about scoring the winning goal in an All-Ireland final.
Some days I'd slide it along the grass, other days I'd bury it in the top corner.

I didn't have the imagination to be two-footed even in my daydreams.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2011, 09:04:19 PM

I must be the only one who daydreams of being in the backs and stopping the other team from scoring the winning goal. Maybe it shows a lack of ambition.

passedit

I'd say you're well able to imagine using either elbow though?
Don't Panic

Sandy Hill

I agree with you Armaghniac, an unwise and poorly timed letter from the Cardinal but the tenor of some of the comments on this thread are beyond the pale and not of the calibre that have been the norm on this Board over the years.
"Stercus accidit"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 02, 2011, 09:18:42 PM

I agree with you Armaghniac, an unwise and poorly timed letter from the Cardinal but the tenor of some of the comments on this thread are beyond the pale and not of the calibre that have been the norm on this Board over the years.

I know its shocking what these brutes are saying about the poor cardinal and all he did was covered up child rapists by making kids sign oaths of silence. Shame on you all.

Jinxy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 02, 2011, 09:09:51 PM

I must be the only one who daydreams of being in the backs and stopping the other team from scoring the winning goal. Maybe it shows a lack of ambition.

There's only so many ways you can stop a winning goal.
You'd only have enough material to get you through 3 or 4 masses tops.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

TyroneRahilly

Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 02, 2011, 09:18:42 PM

I can understand that some of the comments might have alarmed you and I agree its not the type of thing you would want to see on this forum, however, the topic was posted and there alot of members of the community who have been badly affected by the actions of cardinal brady and his cover up. I didnt really want to go into this but i feel i have to, in order to justify my previous comments in the thread - If Cardinal Brady had have done the decent thing back then, then 2 family members of my own would be alive today. One family member was raped and molested and affected him so badly through the years, he took his own life. My second family member could not live with this pain and took the same route.  Not one member of the Catholic Church has shown their face or even apologised. Trust me, your blood would boil, like mine is when i read of brady coming out with this rubbish.

He protected a rapist, a child molester and knew he would continue to do so and what did he do? He hid the fact. In my opinion, he has blood on his hands. Anyway, the GAA should not get involved with the Catholic Church and vice versa. Its a sport, and has got damn all to do with Religion. He should have stood down when he was found out and it angers me that the GAA even let this pedo protector onto the grounds.

I wont say anymore on this as my comments may get out of hand, plus its really stressing me out. Cardinal Brady: you're not a christian and your kind wont dictate nor abuse the good people of ireland again.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

This is on RTE today. The whole thing reflects poorly on Brady's judgement. Did he write to soccer leagues also?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B