Donegal's year perhaps?

Started by Farrandeelin, August 01, 2011, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Seeing that they're refusing to lie down when they're seemingly down and out. They will have to be taken seriously from here on in. Their gameplan is doing them no harm either. I have a feeling Sam's heading to the hills.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

QuoteI have a feeling Sam's heading to the hills.

Perhaps  some Tyrone person will bring Sam into Donegal, for the bragging rights.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haze

Hate having to say but Please God No. That's meant with disrespect but I don't want to watch any copy cat counties next year. Two are enough in the country

Just can't see them winning it. Short a few top class forwards to win an All Ireland 

TyroneRahilly

been a great year for Donegal in all fairness both in the league and championship. However, I really can't see them getting into the finals never mind lifting Sam.

I can't see ourselves, Tyrone, getting to the final either. Think Dublin will win but hope I'm wrong. To be honest, if we do beat the dubs, I'd be confident that we would beat Donegal in a very one sided game. And if we meet Kerry in the final, I'd have to go with Kerry.

my prediction is a Kerry v Dublin final. My predictions so far in the championship have been spot on, apart from Mayo v cork game. hope I'm wrong on this one too!

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Perhaps, teams are finding it hard to play their game against the donegal game.
Scores have to taken every time an opportunity arises and failure to convert seems to spur the likes of Lacey and Cassidy on more.

Personally though i would be joining an ABD (anyone but donegal) club if it were to start!
Its all about the Hurling.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 01, 2011, 09:22:46 PM
Seeing that they're refusing to lie down when they're seemingly down and out. They will have to be taken seriously from here on in. Their gameplan is doing them no harm either. I have a feeling Sam's heading to the hills.

For me they would be the worst possible team for Mayo to get if we were to somehow manage to overcome the mammoth task that is Kerry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 02, 2011, 01:59:30 AM

For me they would be the worst possible team for Mayo to get if we were to somehow manage to overcome the mammoth task that is Kerry.

The Mayo lads are looking past Kerry already...oh the arrogance !!!!

JHume

I don't think Donegal will win the All Ireland (although I did back them each way at 66/1 after the league final!) unless our forward unit clicks.

Donegal's defence is the best in the country. Our midfield is regularly out fielded and out played, our wing half forwards are auxiliary defenders and our full forward line has not functioned effectively in any game this year. McFadden, Murphy, McBrearty and Molloy have all shown brief glimpses of their ability, but they haven't done it on the same day or even individually for a whole match.

If the full forward line were to find its groove, and Hegarty et al were able to provide the right supply of ball, we'd have a chance of giving the semi-final a good rattle. And we'd have to do the same again in the final.

It's possible, but unlikely.

In saying that, 12 or 13 Donegal players put in tremendous performances in the 1992 All-Ireland final and if the 2011 vintage could hit that kind of form anything would be possible...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

This is one to be answered after the semi  ;)
Tbc....

armaghniac

QuoteThis is one to be answered after the semi

If they don't win the semi, I wouldn't give them any chance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 02, 2011, 04:42:36 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 02, 2011, 01:59:30 AM

The Mayo lads are looking past Kerry already...oh the arrogance !!!!

Nice try MS  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

EC Unique

Who ever comes out of Saturday nights clash (Tyrone I suspect) will dispose of Donegal with ease. They are an average side that have had more than their fair share of luck at this stage.

borderfox

Whilst I would like Donegal to win, I dont think they will go all the way. I think they'll come unstuck when a team (Tyrone/Dublin) goes 5 or 6 points ahead and Donegal are forced to open up and attack leaving gaps at the back which the likes of Tyrone in particular would punish and pick them off on the break.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

sheamy

Quote from: EC Unique on August 02, 2011, 01:17:28 PM
Who ever comes out of Saturday nights clash (Tyrone I suspect) will dispose of Donegal with ease. They are an average side that have had more than their fair share of luck at this stage.

Careful now...if Jim reads that you'll be the next villain of the piece.

'Errigal men bad mouthing Tir Conaill backed by his neighbour Mickey Harte'

Using an internet campaign to influence referees into believing Donegal have been given too many dodgy decisions this year. It's just not on I tell you!

'And if I could I'd build a wall around old Donegal...'

JHume

Quote from: borderfox on August 02, 2011, 01:29:28 PM
Whilst I would like Donegal to win, I dont think they will go all the way. I think they'll come unstuck when a team (Tyrone/Dublin) goes 5 or 6 points ahead and Donegal are forced to open up and attack leaving gaps at the back which the likes of Tyrone in particular would punish and pick them off on the break.

Tyrone led by 5 in the Ulster semi final, and Donegal reeled them in.

They are currently playing a bit like Meath in the 90s - they refuse to accept they're beaten.