Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

barelegs

Tyrone have conceded 1-14 to Roscommon and 0-15 to Longford. Mickey backed Tyrone to win in a shoot out.  I don't think Dublin will give Tyrone the kind of time and space that Longford and Roscommon did and you can be sure Tyrone won't give Dublin the time and space they gave Roscommon and Longford.

Tyrone can't afford to leave a footballer of Justin McMahon's calibre sitting on the bench. If he's fit he has to start. On form Ricey is the man that should give way but I fear it'll be Sean O'Neill or Swift that get the chop.

Similarly if Tyrone are to compete with Dublin at midfield somewhere that they struggled last year then Cassidy's aerial strength and mobility probably makes him a better option than Hughes.

I think the introduction of Mugsy and Stevie on Saturday was Harte laying down a marker for next week. Croke Park brings the best out of the pair of them. I can see them coming in for Kyle and Tommy.

Fuzzman

I don't think Mickey Will change too much bar maybe bring Justy in to wing forward and play him at CHB. Play Ricey or Joe as a sweeper. I think Mickey knows that in these high intensity games he has to use his full 20 players to the full. Players like Mugsy, Dooher, Stevie are better used coming on 2nd half and giving a good half hour at full tilt than struggling maybe for the full game. It's hard for defenders to see the likes of those lads coming in fresh when they've already spent 40 mins chasing someone like Coney or Penrose. Any news on him? He's had a quiet season by his standards. I'd too love to see Cassidy but am worried he won't be fit in time.

bennydorano

Quote from: barelegs on August 01, 2011, 08:59:42 PM
Tyrone have conceded 1-14 to Roscommon and 0-15 to Longford. Mickey backed Tyrone to win in a shoot out.  I don't think Dublin will give Tyrone the kind of time and space that Longford and Roscommon did and you can be sure Tyrone won't give Dublin the time and space they gave Roscommon and Longford.

Tyrone can't afford to leave a footballer of Justin McMahon's calibre sitting on the bench. If he's fit he has to start. On form Ricey is the man that should give way but I fear it'll be Sean O'Neill or Swift that get the chop.

Similarly if Tyrone are to compete with Dublin at midfield somewhere that they struggled last year then Cassidy's aerial strength and mobility probably makes him a better option than Hughes.

I think the introduction of Mugsy and Stevie on Saturday was Harte laying down a marker for next week. Croke Park brings the best out of the pair of them. I can see them coming in for Kyle and Tommy.
That's exactly it, he rightly assumed they'd outscore them in any circumstances.  The personnel might remain the same for Dublin, but the tactics and intensity will be increased. I'd also reckon that McMenamin is the most obvious candidate to be dropped but is he an untouchable?

Rois

I don't think you can underestimate the power of a leader - Mickey needs someone to take charge on the pitch, and if not Ricey, then who?  He isn't standby captain for nothing. 

TyroneRahilly

I certainly wouldn't be playing tommy mcguigan. Despite the score stats, tommy has been been very poor. He hasn't been playin club football either, and is not long back out of injury. I guess I've never rated tommy as a county player. Mugsy, in my opinion, should be on starting 15 and tommy on the bench, the park bench outside croker! He's lost a lot of pace, although a good reader of the game, he lacks the skill that needs to compliment his other positive qualities.

Would hope to see Sean move into full forward, with Cassidy taking over midfield.

Anyway, I don't think we are good enough to beat the dubs, just my opinion.

Family guy

Why is everyone saying that cassidy should be starting before hub,the reason why sean cavanagh had such a good game is because hub does that much work around the whole field and frees sean up,i bet if you put clock on him and see who ran the most yards hub would be miles ahead of everyone else,some people have very small memories hope yous dont forget the 08 final

reddgnhand

Quote from: Family guy on August 01, 2011, 10:31:30 PM
Why is everyone saying that cassidy should be starting before hub,the reason why sean cavanagh had such a good game is because hub does that much work around the whole field and frees sean up,i bet if you put clock on him and see who ran the most yards hub would be miles ahead of everyone else,some people have very small memories hope yous dont forget the 08 final

What work are you on about? Its certainly not his fielding, nor his pace up and down the pitch, nor his shooting or handling of the ball. What I remember about the 08 final was the wides and Hub dropping the ball bearing down on goal. Its lucky it fell to T McGuigan.

Family guy

So he was named ulster player of the year 2 years ago for what???First player for tyrone 2 get man of the match in an all ireland final,a player who always got the better of the so called greatest midfielder ever darragh o shea,whatever day tyrone play longford again id send for cassidy,would take hub all day at midfield

reddgnhand

Quote from: Family guy on August 01, 2011, 11:21:33 PM
So he was named ulster player of the year 2 years ago for what???First player for tyrone 2 get man of the match in an all ireland final,a player who always got the better of the so called greatest midfielder ever darragh o shea,whatever day tyrone play longford again id send for cassidy,would take hub all day at midfield

2 years ago. Is that why Sean Cavanagh had such a good game on Saturday?? 

Family guy

comethekingdom

I think this will be v hard to call - Dublin will have had a 4 week break like ourselves which wont do them any good whereas tyrone will have the momentum and will be faster out of the blocks on Sat next. The only thing is that tyrone havent played serious opposition this year either with all due respect to Roscommon Longford and a waning armagh team. However, I think Harte has finally realised that he'll win nothing without introducing some of the young cubs and now he's reaping the dividends. Dublin8/11 and tyrone 6/4 on Paddy Power ....  Hmmmmm...........

Hound

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 02, 2011, 12:10:21 AM
Dublin8/11 and tyrone 6/4 on Paddy Power ....  Hmmmmm...........
Dublin by 1 point on the handicap.

Given his goalscoring record against Dublin, I think Mulligan will start, regardless of whether he's named in the 15 or not.

Long time since the Dubs played, and I havent heard how training has been going, so no idea if anyone has out themselves forward or backwards in selection terms. Will McMahon edge out Conlon or Fitzsimons? - my guess is he'll be kept in reserve, but could see action before half time.

My guess for midfield is Macauley and Bastick.

McManamon to replace O'Gara in the full forward line. A good starting 6 forwards for the Dubs, but very little scoring threat on the bench.

Canalman

Like yourself Hound, I haven't heard anything as to how training/things are going in the Dubs' camp. A wall of silence which for us is always a good thing and of course Kildare taking the media heat is also helpful.

Tyrone seem to be the media darlings this year imo.

Honestly don't know which Dublin team turns up on Saturday. For Dublin's sake it imo is imperative that Diarmuid C. brings his A game with him and is planted in or around the small square.

2008 all over again?????????

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Canalman on August 02, 2011, 09:25:29 AM
2008 all over again?????????

Seriously doubt that Canalman.

Gilroy has really battened down the publicity hatches on this one, not really giving the usual Dublin hype a hope, though the question for yourselves is how exactly that media insulation will affect the team.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...