Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2024, 10:07:38 AMMcGuinness is at the wheel again. Ban overturned. Apparently we weren't aware of the rule. ;D

What a surprise.

In general, is there any point having rules at all in the GAA. I don't think there is much point having referee's either. Maybe that is what should be brought to convention next year

yellowcard

It just shows the power of Jimmy that so many people think that Donegal will automatically get promoted and possibly win Ulster just because he is back at the helm. People must have short memories or have they forgotten last season. He will have them fit and organised but I struggle to see how he can have the same impact this time around. His main advantage first time around was the revolutionary tactics deployed when every other county was playing traditional football but this is no longer the case. He seems to be relying on the age old tactic of ensuring his side is fitter than everyone else with rumours of a savage training regime and number of training sessions. However it is only mid January and I don't see that alone giving them the necessary competitive edge when the season begins in earnest. I think they will be competitive again but I would be reserving judgement on them for now rather than buying into the myth. His presence does seem to have got into a lot of peoples heads though which will give them a psychological edge if opponents buy into this. 

imtommygunn

Agreed - people forget how good the donegal players were in that era. They don't have the same level any more.

(They have good players who should maybe be competitive in ulster but I wouldn't have thought they would be near challenging in an AI unless Jim is more of the messiah than I think he is...)

StephenC

Quote from: yellowcard on January 12, 2024, 11:10:21 AMIt just shows the power of Jimmy that so many people think that Donegal will automatically get promoted and possibly win Ulster just because he is back at the helm. People must have short memories or have they forgotten last season. He will have them fit and organised but I struggle to see how he can have the same impact this time around. His main advantage first time around was the revolutionary tactics deployed when every other county was playing traditional football but this is no longer the case. He seems to be relying on the age old tactic of ensuring his side is fitter than everyone else with rumours of a savage training regime and number of training sessions. However it is only mid January and I don't see that alone giving them the necessary competitive edge when the season begins in earnest. I think they will be competitive again but I would be reserving judgement on them for now rather than buying into the myth. His presence does seem to have got into a lot of peoples heads though which will give them a psychological edge if opponents buy into this. 

I actually agree completely with this. I think Jim will have a big impact on the team, but people are forgetting the level that we have been at for the last few years.

Captain Scarlet

I agree re Donegal. No matter what you want to do you need players and Jimmy Part 1 had better men at his disposal. A year consolidating in Div 2 would be no harm.

I'm calling Armagh and Cork to up. The wheels might come off Meath at any stage and Kildare will just ruin that batch of U20s by exposing them to some of the most idiotic stuff seen anywhere.

Last year Cork and Derry humiliated us at home and then we can turn around and push better teams closer. Kildare fans literaly have no idea what team will turn up, but the thing I always say is that no intercounty team in Div 1 or 2 makes so many unforced stupid errors.

Midtable for Meath and Kildare...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Blowitupref

A fit and organised Donegal team are established Division 1 team and they finished 4th in Div 1 in 2022 and semi finalists in 2021.

Last year the writing was on the wall for them early. Paddy Carr proved to be a poor appointment his cause not helped by a mountain of injuries and players opting out.

Jim McGuinness has brought the buzz back into Donegal they'll be fit and organised. Players have opted in again and injuries mostly cleared up. Winning Ulster might be a year or two away but finishing in the top two in division 2 this spring is more than achievable.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tonto1888

Quote from: StephenC on January 12, 2024, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 12, 2024, 11:10:21 AMIt just shows the power of Jimmy that so many people think that Donegal will automatically get promoted and possibly win Ulster just because he is back at the helm. People must have short memories or have they forgotten last season. He will have them fit and organised but I struggle to see how he can have the same impact this time around. His main advantage first time around was the revolutionary tactics deployed when every other county was playing traditional football but this is no longer the case. He seems to be relying on the age old tactic of ensuring his side is fitter than everyone else with rumours of a savage training regime and number of training sessions. However it is only mid January and I don't see that alone giving them the necessary competitive edge when the season begins in earnest. I think they will be competitive again but I would be reserving judgement on them for now rather than buying into the myth. His presence does seem to have got into a lot of peoples heads though which will give them a psychological edge if opponents buy into this. 

I actually agree completely with this. I think Jim will have a big impact on the team, but people are forgetting the level that we have been at for the last few years.

being fit and organised counts for a lot in modern football though. I expect Donegal to get promoted alright. Ulster, who knows

StephenC

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 12, 2024, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: StephenC on January 12, 2024, 11:39:00 AM

being fit and organised counts for a lot in modern football though. I expect Donegal to get promoted alright. Ulster, who knows

It does, but it's the price of entry these days. If you are not super fit and organised, then you won't have a chance in D1, never mind in AIQF territory. I don't think it can be the differentiator today that we were able to make it in 2011/2012.

J70

I think if we can keep Gallen fit, we'll be very competitive and a contender in Ulster. Don't see enough in the squad though to be seriously thinking about pushing into the top 4, never mind challenging Dublin or Kerry for the AI title.

bennydorano

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2024, 02:20:34 PMI think if we can keep Gallen fit, we'll be very competitive and a contender in Ulster. Don't see enough in the squad though to be seriously thinking about pushing into the top 4, never mind challenging Dublin or Kerry for the AI title.
If Armagh were brutally honest with ourselves we (should) go all in for the Ulster Championship as we've a gift of a draw again and the other half is brutal looking, anything after that would be a bonus as we're not winning Sam, can't see us approaching the season that way tho.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on January 14, 2024, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2024, 02:20:34 PMI think if we can keep Gallen fit, we'll be very competitive and a contender in Ulster. Don't see enough in the squad though to be seriously thinking about pushing into the top 4, never mind challenging Dublin or Kerry for the AI title.
If Armagh were brutally honest with ourselves we (should) go all in for the Ulster Championship as we've a gift of a draw again and the other half is brutal looking, anything after that would be a bonus as we're not winning Sam, can't see us approaching the season that way tho.
Of course we'll be going all in at an Ulster. Barring a complete collapse we've a bye to the final. Would be nice to win D2 but promotion should be number 1 priority. 

ranch

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 14, 2024, 02:14:31 PM
Of course we'll be going all in at an Ulster. Barring a complete collapse we've a bye to the final. Would be nice to win D2 but promotion should be number 1 priority. 
Would you put promotion to division 1 as a higher priority than winning Ulster? I'd definitely have winning Ulster as more of a priority.
You're right we should definitely make the final but who knows what we'll end up dishing out come championship!

Armagh18

Quote from: ranch on January 14, 2024, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 14, 2024, 02:14:31 PM
Would you put promotion to division 1 as a higher priority than winning Ulster? I'd definitely have winning Ulster as more of a priority.
You're right we should definitely make the final but who knows what we'll end up dishing out come championship!
Maybe I worded that wrong. Both are massive targets but yeah I'd happily stay in division 2 and win Ulster. Should definitely be doing both though.

illdecide

1. Armagh
2. Kildare
3. Cork
4. Donegal
5. Meath
6. Louth
7. Cavan
8. Fermanagh

Armagh and Donegal should be the top 2 in the league but knowing Armagh they will fu*k it up. Cork are on the up, Meath and Kildare are well capable of causing a minor upset. I think Fermanagh, Cavan & Louth to fight it out for relegation with Cavan possibly the stronger of the 3.
Armagh away to Cork in the last game could be the decider of them two teams which could be a cracker, I've never been to the Spervalu stadium so I'm looking forward to that.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on January 17, 2024, 11:50:48 AM1. Armagh
2. Kildare
3. Cork
4. Donegal
5. Meath
6. Louth
7. Cavan
8. Fermanagh

Armagh and Donegal should be the top 2 in the league but knowing Armagh they will fu*k it up. Cork are on the up, Meath and Kildare are well capable of causing a minor upset. I think Fermanagh, Cavan & Louth to fight it out for relegation with Cavan possibly the stronger of the 3.
Armagh away to Cork in the last game could be the decider of them two teams which could be a cracker, I've never been to the Spervalu stadium so I'm looking forward to that.
Hopefully we'll have at least second wrapped up by then but we never do it the easy way. Wouldn't fancy going there in a must win tbh.