Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 11, 2019, 01:54:44 PM
Just seen that RTE have apparently given him the boot permanently. Tough on him. There is a balance to be made between entertainment and what can be rather dry analysis.

I'd say Spillane and O'Rourke will be looking over their shoulder nervously. McBennett seems to be slowly clearing house of the older generation of pundits.

He's hardly worrying about where his next bite is coming from and it's only a sideline gig for him, hardly the end of his world.

Every dog has his day.

Taylor

RTE must have big plans up their sleeve otherwise the pre/halftime/post game will be like watching paint dry given who they currently have on the books.

Sandy Hill

I have to say that I'm sorry to see Brolly get the heave. Yes, he infuriatingly interrupts and talks over others but I'm sure we all do when we're involved in conversations where we feel passionately about the issue on the table. I enjoy this liveliness that he brings to proceedings and, despite all this, he invariably brings some sensible analysis on the game being broadcast. I also like to listen to O'Rourke with his level headed opinion and Spillane is good betimes. Whelan, that wonderful on-field role model, is a pain in the ass and can't see beyond his Dubs who, incidentally,  I also admire although I'm hoping for a Kerry win on Saturday.

So for the AIF we'll have Spillane, Whelan and Cantwell, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ; please God we'll get another great game.

"Stercus accidit"

Cunny Funt

Quote from: yellowcard on September 11, 2019, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2019, 12:50:40 PM
What percentage of viewers want deep insight? Granted most on here do, because they have an above average interest in football. But there are a plethora of people out there who don't really care. They watch the game and some just want the pantomime that Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke provide.

I think that is undoubtedly true. There is a common misconception that the majority of people tune into the coverage of a match to watch fancy diagrams, multiple camera angles and to be taught tactical analysis by pundits. Maybe some do but I think it is mostly the coaching anoraks who fall into this category. There will be a lot of these coach types who will be delighted that he is gone. I think there was room for a balance somewhere in between. Brolly was capable of analysing a match when he wanted to but he just had no interest in going down that road. 

Personally speaking i think Brolly had probably run his course, he was very entertaining for a while but as with everything his shelf life may well have passed now. He had become increasingly irritable and annoying which only became even more noticeable after Michael Lyster had left. He was like the disruptive schoolboy who the sub teacher just couldn't control any more. Apart from Tomas O'Se and O'Rourke, the lack of chemistry that he had with any of the other pundits was self evident. It probably suits both RTE and Brolly himself, since he might be actually best suited to a format like a podcast where his is the only voice and people can choose to either listen to it or not. That way if you don't like him you can easily avoid him.   

For me he never showed any capabilities and i never found his routine in any way entertaining. RTE are right to pull the plug on this gimmick they more or less created themselves but that plug should have been pulled ages ago.

Main Street

There could be another option for RTE to break in wild Joe, that is to send him to therapy, a weekly intense session with a dominatrix, perhaps one who calls herself Mistress Cantwella.

pbat

I would say RTE got pressure from Croke Park to get rid once he questioned Gough.

TheGreatest

How is it known that he got the boot and didnt make the decision himself? and if its for good of short term.

Spillane id worse to Connolly, put him out of the game for nearly 2 years by character assassination, he should of got the boot.

Love him or loathe him, he will be a loss to RTE and the viwing public.

Low and Hard

Think RTE will regret this decision, he's the only pundit I turned the volume up for. Caused a stir and was good value, life's too short for Whelans & cavanaghs of this world.

Blowitupref

Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOt_LVpaam0

On his appointment as RTE's new head of sport last year, Declan McBennett said he wouldn't tolerate 'personal attacks' from pundits.

Joe Brolly had this to say in a recent interview.

"Declan McBennett raised the Marty Morrissey thing when he took over head of sport and he was right to be pissed off about it. "If Declan had been head of sport then, I'd probably have been gone. Declan's not a pushover, nor should he be.''

If he's gone now like its reported elsewhere, then it means Mr Brolly while understanding the situation he didn't heed the warning from the new head of sport.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GetOverTheBar

He's having a bit of a laugh about it on Twitter here anyway

macdanger2

Glad that he's gone. I didn't think he added anything at all, no insight, no entertainment, nothing.

Time for Spillane and o'rourke to follow him out the door

LeoMc

Quote from: thebuzz on September 10, 2019, 10:47:16 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 10, 2019, 10:30:29 PM
I think we know his feelings on Gallagher now ... 😵😵

Yeah saw that. It's very funny. :) :) :)

What was that?

dec

https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/1171789283629424641

@JoeBrolly1993
If anyone has a spare ticket for the replay, I've just been let down..
10:15 AM · Sep 11, 2019

lurganblue

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 11, 2019, 03:48:57 PM
Glad that he's gone. I didn't think he added anything at all, no insight, no entertainment, nothing.

Time for Spillane and o'rourke to follow him out the door

I'd agree with that. I'd throw Cavanagh and Whelan into that too. Borefest, despite Cavanagh trying his best to be controversial.  Dessie Dolan should be shown the door completely as well, especially for live commentary.

Tomás O'Sé is the best of whats left.

imtommygunn

Quote from: dec on September 11, 2019, 04:01:56 PM
https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/1171789283629424641

@JoeBrolly1993
If anyone has a spare ticket for the replay, I've just been let down..
10:15 AM · Sep 11, 2019

;D

Brilliant. At least he can laugh at himself.

Comments on Gough too far and if the head boyo doesn't want personal comments and he was warned then he had to go.

Agreed half the rest of them have to go too. Sky have shown them up.