James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2015, 04:15:27 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 19, 2015, 03:50:33 PM
Fair play to him. He unashamedly sticks to his beliefs nor does he forget where he's from. Doesn't give a fcuk either.

You could describe Margaret Thatcher in almost identical words.
And?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2015, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 19, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
I'm laughing at the fcukwits that are making an issue out of this!

I'm sure the non chav English wouldn't actually care he wasn't facing their flag or singing their anthem!

Let's get this clear - you are calling me a fcukwit for asking that someone has a bit of manners?

And then in your next statement you feel empowered enough to make a sweeping judgment about how all English people feel.

Ahem.
Are you a fcukwit?
What's your policy basis for comparison on what constitutes manners here?
Having lived there and have English friends and relations - I know they'd not bat an eyelid over this - only those chavs and wans that want to be offended are doing so it seems!

His decision - agree or disagree - who are you/we to advise/cast dispersion !

thewobbler

... and the point being that you are extolling bad behaviour as virtuous.

If it was Davy Tweed turning his back on his teammates during the Irish anthem, would you find yourself having respect for him for following his beliefs?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2015, 03:53:41 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 19, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
I'm laughing at the fcukwits that are making an issue out of this!

I'm sure the non chav English wouldn't actually care he wasn't facing their flag or singing their anthem!

Its a non story I've already agreed on that I think he's a bit silly and drawing attention to himself for no reason... I say move on and show that you're  actually an adult.. Best to take the high road sometimes and not come across like a fleg protester 😉
Comprendez
But he obv had his reasons
It's not as if he actually did anything here!!

If this was the rugby thread regarding the Irish national anthem we'd have fellas on here by now stating that we should get rid of playing the anthem before games... I'm still waiting on these lads to turn up here!!

Milltown Row2

He's got his reasons that's fine, we've all got reasons to dislike the British establishment standing the other way head down won't make a pile of difference to it...

But I'll not call you a fuckwit for your view on it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2015, 04:52:05 PM
He's got his reasons that's fine, we've all got reasons to dislike the British establishment standing the other way head down won't make a pile of difference to it...

But I'll not call you a fuckwit for your view on it
Good - I didn't call you one either!
Some of the quotes were pure fuckwittery !!

Good to see James is afforded the grace to make his own decisions!

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2015, 04:36:58 PM
... and the point being that you are extolling bad behaviour as virtuous.

If it was Davy Tweed turning his back on his teammates during the Irish anthem, would you find yourself having respect for him for following his beliefs?

Completely different scenario. It is not the anthem of the team he is playing for.

You're a very sensible poster wobbler but you're miles off with this. Mcclean has done nothing wrong and took a very moderate and respectful avenue of non engagement if.you ask me.

RealSpiritof98

People just go out of their way to get offended these days!!!!!!

annapr

McClean acts and looks like a thug. He's an embarrassment.
He's not a very good footballer either IMO.

screenexile

Did he turn away when Ireland played England recently?

I don't understand what his problem is stand up and respect the anthem like everyone else. I understand the Poppy thing but this smacks of attention seeking. Its standard practice in sport to stand respectfully for your opponent nations anthem even if they are a crowd of c***ts!!!

He's let himself down here!

SHEEDY

Quote from: annapr on July 19, 2015, 05:35:04 PM
McClean acts and looks like a thug. He's an embarrassment.
interesting view!! Care to give some examples of how or when he acted like a thug or how he looks like one. He didn't act like a thug in this case. Some people get offended over very little.
nil satis nisi optimum

T Fearon

McLean is storing up trouble for himself.Fair enough if he doesn't want to wear a poppy,but to snub the national anthem of the country where he is in handsomely remunerated employment is going to have WBA fans on his back never mind rival fans.Also he is plying his trade in the suburbs of Birmingham where the pub bombings are still fresh in the memory.Why make life hard for yourself?

snoopdog

He is a bit stupid to say the least. Plus he wouldn't remember the troubles. He is too young. Granted he is entitled to his opinion but he is only shooting himself in foot. A lot of wba fans didn't want him in first place

An Watcher

Am I missing something here? He was standing for the anthem. When the irish anthem is played I turn to face the flag. I wouldn't turn to face another flag I would stand facing forward out of respect. The fact his head is down is a non issue too. Anyone that feels he is out of order, catch yourself on. Show a bit of support for your countryman as there are enough people about to knock him.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on July 19, 2015, 08:02:28 PM
Am I missing something here? He was standing for the anthem. When the irish anthem is played I turn to face the flag. I wouldn't turn to face another flag I would stand facing forward out of respect. The fact his head is down is a non issue too. Anyone that feels he is out of order, catch yourself on. Show a bit of support for your countryman as there are enough people about to knock him.

And when you get the chance to stand for some other anthem you should do that, if an English lad that played for Ireland (and there has been a lot) turned away from flag and put his head down you'd respect him also. Which is fair enough?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea