Concussion

Started by seafoid, February 08, 2016, 04:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

It's going to get to the stage where someone isn't going to get up again after a "tackle"
They are like car crashes
Rugby league is worse
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AustinPowers

It's not the  hits in rugby that's  the   problem. It's the game itself.  Such a stupid  frigging sport. Like rutting stags  crashing  into each other. 

Their Heads , necks and  shoulders must be in  tatters

seafoid

The collisions are popular on TV. And players now are much bigger than they used to be.
They are like a form of gladiator.
The women they get married to should sign consent forms for care down the line.
What's awful about it is  the sort of class system for head trauma between backs and forwards.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 03:05:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2023, 02:56:38 PM
There seem to have been quite a few ex players from that kind of era have got dementia.

(I suspect it's going to be a massive issue for rugby players in years to come too - look at Steve Thompson the english guy).
Especially rugby forwards.
I think Jeff Astle was one of the first soccer players linked to dementia.
I can't be arsed looking up the stats but I'd be very surprised if front or second row forwards were high up the concussion tables. Torpedoing through the ruck towards a 9, hammering a back row forward in the jackal position or flying out of the line to nail 10 (Jonny Sexton) or 12 are common sources of head injuries in the matches I watch.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 15, 2023, 09:13:31 PM
There seem to have been quite a few ex players from that kind of era have got dementia.

(I suspect it's going to be a massive issue for rugby players in years to come too - look at Steve Thompson the english guy).
I can't be arsed looking up the stats but I'd be very surprised if front or second row forwards were high up the concussion tables. Torpedoing through the ruck towards a 9, hammering a back row forward in the jackal position or flying out of the line to nail 10 (Jonny Sexton) or 12 are common sources of head injuries in the matches I watch.

Steve Thompson the England hooker might disagree, he can't remember a second of his world cup win.

imtommygunn

If you read about him and those scrum machines it make sense with how hard he was hitting them :o Not really worth a world cup win for that.

seafoid

There is enough rugby concussion data to be statistically significant.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2023, 02:41:40 PM

Steve Thompson the England hooker might disagree, he can't remember a second of his world cup win.
He might if I'd said no hooker ever has been concussed.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2023, 03:09:36 PM

Is a hooker not a front row forward? Every day is a school day. I thought the hooker and the two props made up the front row?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 16, 2023, 03:17:07 PM

Is a hooker not a front row forward? Every day is a school day. I thought the hooker and the two props made up the front row?
You obviously didn't learn to read in the school days you had.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/irish-rugby-players-to-be-part-of-concussion-group-lawsuit-1.4431012

The cases could change the nature of the way rugby is conducted with demands to World Rugby also attached to the civil cases. These include limited contact in training, limiting the number of replacements per game, concussion spotters with authority to remove, career-long central database chronicling injury history and the banning of zero hour contracts. They also urge critical research into frontrow forwards by independent academics.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2023, 04:17:34 PM

Well that wasn't very nice now was it? I would be a very casual rugby fan and genuinely thought i'd missed something on the naming of positions. I do get what you were saying now reading it again.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 16, 2023, 04:24:10 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2023, 04:17:34 PM

Well that wasn't very nice now was it? I would be a very casual rugby fan and genuinely thought i'd missed something on the naming of positions. I do get what you were saying now reading it again.
Apologies for being short.

seafoid

Concussion leading to CTE seems to be a feature of professional rugby post 1995.