"Economic inactivity" in the north

Started by Eamonnca1, August 05, 2021, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you know at least one person from the north who doesn't work and doesn't have a good reason for it?

Yes, I know of at least one lazy hallion who doesn't work because it's a lifestyle choice
27 (65.9%)
Yes, but they all have a good reason for not working
0 (0%)
No, everyone I know of working age and physically capable of working is employed
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Kidder81

Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2021, 12:19:31 PM
FFS lads there's more outrage here about families getting an extra £250 a month than the Tories giving your tax money to their mates or the likes of FB/GOOGLE/AMAZON dodging tax like it's only for fools to pay!

It's like Boris telling us Climate change is our fault for rinsing our dishes before we put them in the dishwasher when BP and Shell can do whatever they like and get incentivised for it!!

That's not what the OP started a thread on

NAG1

FFS lads there's more outrage here about families getting an extra £250 a month than the Tories giving your tax money to their mates or the likes of FB/GOOGLE/AMAZON dodging tax like it's only for fools to pay!

It's like Boris telling us Climate change is our fault for rinsing our dishes before we put them in the dishwasher when BP and Shell can do whatever they like and get incentivised for it!!

These things are not mutually exclusive.
Yes tax all those companies in a fair and honest manner.

But the attitude is the same as these ones working the benefits system, working is for fools.

RedHand88

Start a thread about it and talk all you want. That's not what this thread is about. It is possible to outraged at both those things.
Amazon avoiding tax is not an excuse for benefit cheats.

Kidder81

Some countries have a benefit system where the benefits for not working have a set time period. Be interesting to see how many would find work when the benefits stop. In my opinion someone who has worked and paid into the system should receive more than someone who has never worked

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 06, 2021, 01:08:32 PM
Some countries have a benefit system where the benefits for not working have a set time period. Be interesting to see how many would find work when the benefits stop. In my opinion someone who has worked and paid into the system should receive more than someone who has never worked
Good point that was very obvious during the Covid fallout. If you have paid your way for 20 years you should absolutely get more than an equivalent person who has spent 20 years on the bru.

BennyCake

Quote from: NAG1 on August 06, 2021, 11:10:45 AM
Bullshit lads, lets call it what it is and be realistic about.

We have all said that when there is a genuine need then that is what the benefits system is for.

This attitude of if someone is playing the system fair play to them, f**k that. We are paying for it, we are the ones working to pay tax for these generations of families to have the same or better standard of living simply because they choose not to work, not to contribute to our society, our schools, our facilities our infrastructure.

How in anyone's mind can that be 'awh fair play to them' they know how to work the system, no the attitude needs to change completely. The benefits system should be there to support people into work and not incentivise them sitting at home.

This thing about my tax money pays for all this, taking the moral high ground is bullshit. If there was a box you could tick every year, where you would pay absolutely no tax, you'd tick it in a heartbeat.

Nobody wants to pay tax, and if everyone could get away with it, everyone of us would all pay none. Would that not be 'playing the system' too? Would that be any different to someone claiming benefits?

Mike Tyson

In what way?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2021, 01:24:22 PM

We have all said that when there is a genuine need then that is what the benefits system is for.

This attitude of if someone is playing the system fair play to them, f**k that. We are paying for it, we are the ones working to pay tax for these generations of families to have the same or better standard of living simply because they choose not to work, not to contribute to our society, our schools, our facilities our infrastructure.

How in anyone's mind can that be 'awh fair play to them' they know how to work the system, no the attitude needs to change completely. The benefits system should be there to support people into work and not incentivise them sitting at home.

This thing about my tax money pays for all this, taking the moral high ground is bullshit. If there was a box you could tick every year, where you would pay absolutely no tax, you'd tick it in a heartbeat.

Nobody wants to pay tax, and if everyone could get away with it, everyone of us would all pay none. Would that not be 'playing the system' too? Would that be any different to someone claiming benefits?
You are one strange cat. Where does the money come from to keep the North operating? All the gas and oil reserves? People who want something for nothing are the problem.

BennyCake

What about carers who look after a severely disabled or mentally ill child/parent/spouse? What about someone who has had to give up working due to illness/injury? Are they less deserving of healthcare costs, school dinners, free dental etc? Are they less deserving of a pension when they reach retirement age?

ardtole

Quote from: Mike Tyson on August 06, 2021, 01:26:00 PM

In what way?

In some countries,  if you had say 10 years  record of full employment, tax fully compliant etc, if you were made unemployed you might get 80% of your salary as your social welfare payment for the first 6 months.

Then it might drop to 70% and so on. It probably is a fairer system, although like everything else im sure it can be abused.

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 06, 2021, 01:28:42 PM

You are one strange cat. Where does the money come from to keep the North operating? All the gas and oil reserves? People who want something for nothing are the problem.

I know the place has to keep running and taxes are a part of that.

But let's say you pay £50 a week tax. Are you saying if it was handed back to you every Friday, you'd say 'no no, Stormont needs that 50 quid'? Would you balls. You'd think, f**k Stormont! That'll pay the electric bill and a few beers tonight, thank you very much!

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2021, 01:40:14 PM

But let's say you pay £50 a week tax. Are you saying if it was handed back to you every Friday, you'd say 'no no, Stormont needs that 50 quid'? Would you balls. You'd think, f**k Stormont! That'll pay the electric bill and a few beers tonight, thank you very much!

Say you were asked, "do you want that £50 you paid in taxes back or do you want to be able to use the NHS?"

Would you take it to have a beer then?

ardtole

Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2021, 02:18:25 PM

Say you were asked, "do you want that £50 you paid in taxes back or do you want to be able to use the NHS?"

Anyone with private health insurance probably would.

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on August 06, 2021, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2021, 02:18:25 PM

Anyone with private health insurance probably would.

I'd still be checking the small print on my private health insurance just before accepting that £50 back.

But if the Torys keep going the way they're going we're going down that path and quick.

APM

Economic inactivity is a much wider issue than benefits cheats, but I guess it was the poll question at the top of the page that sent all of you off on one. 

Few things for you to consider:
The economically inactive includes housewives or stay-at-home mums.  It includes lots of people that get no benefits because a partner is working.  Maybe they are unwell or maybe they are 100% fine and choose not to work.  They might be in education.  There is a good chance that they are working in a cash in hand job. 

For all the talk about benefits cheats and the big corporations who pay no tax, there are plenty more who bend the rules, particularly in the cash economy where there is very little tax paid.  Unless you are PAYE there is a good chance you are bending the rules to some degree, maybe not declaring any or all of your income. 

But even if you are a PAYE worker, ask yourself have you ever asked for a cash quote from a tradesman in the knowledge that it would be a cheaper job. 

There are very few people whiter than white.  Plenty of people have a great work ethic, but it doesn't mean that they are pulling their weight in every way.

PS - I'm not judging anyone here - I just think he without sin cast the first stone