At What age did you peak as a Footballer/Hurler?

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 30, 2006, 10:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuperDee

Fairly common throughout is the effect of going to college ruining many a great career. Its often ahrd to make the long trak back home to play at the weekend and even harder to train on your own. Im one of those who was a club footballer all my life and trained away and won nothing but enjoyed it none the less. Maybe im just getting too old but the younger boys are not as comitted as before. Too many temptations and more money. Think now that the ages of 15-18 is the time of the greatest drop outs. Hitting the drink at an earlier age is taking its toll. In many clubs bad managing at that age group contributes to the loss. Its hard to balance between allowing for the young lads growing up and trying to keep discipline in the squad.

An Dun Deal

Late 80's - was just breaking onto the county team - played in a few friendlies and was fairing ok - car hit us head on the way to a match, wrecked my knee - bye, bye county and club career :-[

charlie linkbox

I'd be intrigued to learn what Aghaloo did to ONeill.

ONeill

Lads I don't really want to go down that route. Suffice to say that I was marking Sean Douglas in a grade 3 final. I still dream about him you know.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

J70

Haven't played at all since minor, and even at underage, we only played five or six games a season. I went away to college when I was 17, somehow made the freshers soccer team and have just played soccer ever since, although mostly at a very casual, crap level!

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 01, 2006, 04:51:49 PM
QuoteMM just texted to say drinks on frinday week in the iveagh ground, must try and make it up for that
Jaysus I didn't even know dat, that's de start of the xmas madness so, haven't been out in weeks and got final league match on Sun so gonna keep it quiet this weekend too, it's a must win... Have u got sick of country living already???

How did this go?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Croí na hÉireann

Match was cancelled as is the session this Friday. We had training in the wind and rain on Sun morning instead, much bigger turnout than during de week for some strange reason. Was good craic as well...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Heshs Umpire

Never really peaked me.
Always carried too many pounds to be a good player athough I played senior from 88 to 95 and intermediate from 95 till around 03.
Always hated training and was probably a junior footballer playing senior cos of the size of the club.
Nice memories though sharing the field with legends like Beano, Tom Prendergast and "Miley" Dempsey, wouldn't have swapped it for anything
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 06, 2006, 04:40:32 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 01, 2006, 04:51:49 PM
QuoteMM just texted to say drinks on frinday week in the iveagh ground, must try and make it up for that
Jaysus I didn't even know dat, that's de start of the xmas madness so, haven't been out in weeks and got final league match on Sun so gonna keep it quiet this weekend too, it's a must win... Have u got sick of country living already???

How did this go?

Must be no match on Sun as got dis txt off Noelie last night..

QuoteChristmas drinks 4 all club members and friends iv grmds dis saturday from 8

Gonna be around???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...